Marriage Immigration Visa Vs 12 Mth Tourist Visa

Hi All

For the past 2 months I have been preparing the paperwork for my wifes immigration visa based on a Thai Marriage and her dependent 7yr old daughter and our 10 month old son. I have now got all the paperwork together and we are ready to get her health check and head to Bangkok ( we live in Chiangmai ) to get the police check and put our paperwork in to the embassy.

After reading the forum I can see that it is not all that straight forward even with a registered marriage and a half Australian Child. I need to get back to Oz asap for a job offer which will not wait the 4 - 6 months that people are waiting for visas to come through and I cannot leave my wife with the kids here as she has no real family left.

We are going to return to Thailand for a 2 month holiday in a years time and I was thinking of getting a one year holiday visa for her. I have been told that this is possible for wifes of Australians. I understand she cannot work but it does not matter as she will be taking care of the kids full time.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

JT

There is no guarantee that you would get a 12 month tourist visa at your first attempt.

A lot of applications receive a 3 month tourist visa on first attempt, then a 12 multiple entry tourist visa on the second application.

Spouse visa applications can be approved within 48 hours, provided all required papers have been submitted and the application is fairly strong.

If you have been reading through the numerous threads in this forum you should have a good idea of what is required for a successful application and if you have been working on your application for the past 2 months, you would know whether or not it contains all the vital proofs.

Travelling from Chiangmai to Bangkok is a pain in the butt, so if you have any questions that you need answered urgently you can phone the VFS Office direct.

Check out this link.

There are specific requirements for each of the children (particularly the 7 year old dependent child) and it is usually these requirements (paper work) that can hold up an application.

It is ultimately your decision as to which visa you apply for, but don't let a few negative comments on this board deter you from applying for a Spouse Visa first up.

There is no guarantee that you would get a 12 month tourist visa at your first attempt.

A lot of applications receive a 3 month tourist visa on first attempt, then a 12 multiple entry tourist visa on the second application.

How long does a 12month multiple entry visa allow you to stay each time?

My wife has visited Australia for a 4 week holiday two years ago before we were married. I am not sure if this would be counted as here first attempt already.

Spouse visa applications can be approved within 48 hours, provided all required papers have been submitted and the application is fairly strong.

If you have been reading through the numerous threads in this forum you should have a good idea of what is required for a successful application and if you have been working on your application for the past 2 months, you would know whether or not it contains all the vital proofs.

Travelling from Chiangmai to Bangkok is a pain in the butt, so if you have any questions that you need answered urgently you can phone the VFS Office direct.

Check out this link.

There are specific requirements for each of the children (particularly the 7 year old dependent child) and it is usually these requirements (paper work) that can hold up an application.

Her daughter has not had a father since you was 1 year old and my wife has taken care of her since that time on her own. We have obtained the paperwork from the local Tambon in my wifes village stating that my wife has sole custody of the child and is now the sole parent. My wife was never legally married to the man so as far as the Thai Lawyer explained to us he has absolutely no rights with the child anyway. Is this the paperwork you are talking about?

It is ultimately your decision as to which visa you apply for, but don't let a few negative comments on this board deter you from applying for a Spouse Visa first up.

The only reason that i am nervous is that i have hear that it takes so long. This contradicts the information from the embassy. I e mailed one of their staff who actually called me the next day believe it or not and interviewed me on the phone for over 40 mins. After talking to me she said if I dealt with her she would have it granted within 6 - 8 weeks which i found surprising. Then I have read this forum and realised that it could be a lot longer than that.

Appreciate all your help in replying.

JT

There is no need to travel to BKK to lodge the application it can be done at the VFS office in Chiang Mai, you could contact them to ask if the police check can be done in Chiang Mai as well....

At worst a good quality application would take a couple of months although according to reports here you can go to BKK, get the clearances and then ring for an interview at the embassy and lodge it all at the interview which will reduce waiting times by a great deal. This is what MM has mentioned.

The 12 month visa if granted is restricted to multiple visits of 3 months duration, she wont be able to stay for the straight 12 months.