How to stop the smoke coming into your home, even when you have shut your windows

4MyEgo

Sliding windows do a poor job of sealing. Typically they use brushes to seal. What you want is something like a casement window with double rubber seals and 4 point locking that seal tight as a drum. Does wonders for noise, insulation value, and keeping smoke out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After we sealed our windows, we found that the CO2 levels were far too high (over 3,000 ppm our bedroom in the morning) so we had to install ERVs as well. You need a monitor that measures CO2 as well as particles. We use an Air Visual Pro, but I'm sure there are many alternatives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ColinChapman said:

After we sealed our windows, we found that the CO2 levels were far too high (over 3,000 ppm our bedroom in the morning) so we had to install ERVs as well. You need a monitor that measures CO2 as well as particles. We use an Air Visual Pro, but I'm sure there are many alternatives. 

Could you kindly elaborate on ERV's.

I am new to this, although I have been complaining to the Mrs of late that I feel as if I am not getting enough air and wake up in the middle of the night, but I am breathing normally, however am not getting enough air, suffice to say as if what I am inhaling is empty, this might have something to do with what your saying ?

Edit: Our bedroom is 48 square metres with 3 metre high ceilings, we also leave our hallway door open which is 1.5 wide and about 10 metres long, we also have another door which we close which has a combined area of 64 square metres. The whole house has an area of 300 square metres over a single level, so it needs to be ventilated during the day.

We do open up the place during the day, but close up at around 4.30-5.00pm before everyone starts cooking and then the night burning in the distances which we cannot see.

The PM2.5 reading outside this morning was 100ug/m3, inside our bedroom the PM2.5 was around 15ug/m3 and went up when we opened up the door that accesses that cominded 64 square metre area.

How is one supposed to get air in at night when the air is filled with smoke ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I appreciate what the OP is trying to do for his family.  But, sealing up the house from all air.... why not just seal your family in a plastic bag?  Come on.... you know humans need oxygen right?  Whenever you open you front door to go out, you will let in the pollution, whenever you open you car door, or walk outside.  Even offices and shopping malls often have the high levels of dangerous particles in the air.   

I think a safer option is to move house to a place where there is no all this pollution, or move away when pollution levels are high, rather than trying to suffocate your selves, or get CO2 poisoning.   

Perhaps you misread my post below, I never said "sealing up the house from all air"

On 1/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, 4MyEgo said:

How to tackle the problem, well short of sealing all of our windows, I had decided to seal two of our 3 bedroom windows where the readings were high, i.e. the ones that face the open field where you can see the smoke coming from during the day, forget it at night you cannot see it, we still have a double sliding door and a window that we can open if we want air in the our bedroom when it's safe enough to open up during the day, if ever......lol.  

I went on further to say;

On 1/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, 4MyEgo said:

It's not something I would do to all of our (15) windows, but certainly to any bedroom windows that show a high reading on the SNDWAY 2.5 detector until the burning season is over, as the other windows and doors can be opened to allow any "fresh" air, if any, into the house and make its way into those rooms that have their windows sealed from the outside.

We all know that we need oxygen to enter the house, regardless if it is polluted or we die, I am not that stupid.

Moving would defeat the purpose of me moving here to retire 4 years ago, it's more a management situation, e.g. how best to maintain it while the smoke season comes and goes, and yes going away for a couple of months might be the solution, either Phuket or Krabi along the coast where I have been monitoring the air on the IQAir app, mostly green lights (clean), safe levels.

We have kids that go to school locally, and I moved in the country for cleaner air, well guess what....lol, so going away would have to be when the kids school holidays come, i.e. early March and we would have to return by early May, something to monitor as the time comes, like I said, we have to manage it and find the best solution because most of the time, the air is ok, I think ????

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 5:38 PM, canopy said:

Sliding windows do a poor job of sealing. Typically they use brushes to seal. What you want is something like a casement window with double rubber seals and 4 point locking that seal tight as a drum. Does wonders for noise, insulation value, and keeping smoke out.

Better, although illegal, dispose of the culprits. They are too thick to learn.

What's that Thai word for 'buffalo'? .. You know, the word that only Thais have the right to use ... 

ควาย .. ????

On 1/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Could you kindly elaborate on ERV's.

I installed an energy recovery ventilator when I built my home here recently. You can read more about it in my blog https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com

The inter core of my building is a conditioned space, with windows that are sealed shut and doors with 4 frames and airtight seals around the top, bottom and sides. On the ground floor this includes the living room, office and master bedroom. On the second floor this includes the second bedroom, cinema and gym.  

So it is important to bring fresh air in and take stale air out. The fresh air is cooled by outgoing air-conditioned air, then filtered. Incoming humid air passes humidity to the dry expelled air. Filtered air is pumped into each of the rooms with one extraction per floor. 

The ERV will cool incoming air, filter it and reduce its moisture content.

20191002_035121779_ios.jpg?w=1000

20191004_052359732_ios.jpg?w=1000

img_0705.jpg?w=1000

• Thanks 1