Youtube

wincen

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it's a censorship issue. More like another bandwidth issue.

Oh absolutly not...

Test just made, on a PC with True ADSL in Bangkok.

-direct connexion to www.youtube.com

result : "server is taking too long to respond."... Unreachable.

-then sec later a connexion to my PERSONAL (note to ADMINISTRATORS : MY PERSONAL) web p r o x y based in Canada. Then connexion to youtube.com

Result : no problemo.

So, it's rather difficult to imagine a problem of bandwidth.

:o

[[]

Edited by cclub75
Discussion of proxies is not allowed

Just called True helpline,

and after a 10 minute hold,the very polite lady very politely informed me in perfect english that Youtube has indded been blocked by ICT,

thanks a bunch whoever insulted the Thai Monarchy,you've ######ed things up for all of us. :o

Isn't better to block just this movie and write to youtube MODs for remove it and ban user who put it and IP?

and after a 10 minute hold,the very polite lady very politely informed me in perfect english that Youtube has indded been blocked by ICT,

thanks a bunch whoever insulted the Thai Monarchy,you've ######ed things up for all of us. :D

blame the ppl who do the censoring, eg the ICT, not whoever posted whatever may have upset some ICT honcho.

If content was posted that is actually illegal in Thailand, wouldn't the ICT be able to make a phone call and get YouTube to take it down?

I am sad to see that there is so much energy put into censorship in this country - that's not the free-thinking Thailand that I know. Where for example transsexual boxers can become national legends. I am powerless to change it but it's sad.

Spreading information on public forums on how to get around the censorship in an easy and comfortable manner is prohibited. And I am all too happy to oblige. :o

Edited by nikster

Just had a thought,though I could be wrong(I often am :o ),

would this offensive video have anything to do with the guy who recently got charged with Lese Majeste?,

has anyone seen the offending vid in question? I know it would be very difficult to discuss without further offense(christ,is walking on eggshells all the time gonna be all our futures?),

but I would like to have SOME idea...

by the way,(sorry to put the wind up some of you)but has anyone noticed how sluggish TV has become lately?,I also got a few "Timeouts" recently...not good)

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

[[]

Point noted cclub75, but I will take this opportunity of reminding members of the forum rules and the following in particular:

We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

thanks a bunch whoever insulted the Thai Monarchy,you've ######ed things up for all of us. :o

blame the ppl who do the censoring, eg the ICT, not whoever posted whatever may have upset some ICT honcho.

If content was posted that is actually illegal in Thailand, wouldn't the ICT be able to make a phone call and get YouTube to take it down?

I'll have to disagree in that it would likely upset 63,000,000 Thais and not just some ICT honcho.

Hopefully, the offending clip will get taken down very soon and access to the site restored. I'm wondering, however, how quickly youtube responds to complaints about videos that people or even an entire nation would find offensive. :D I've noticed it can take serveral days just to have a viewer comment added to a video, so, in a way, I can understand banning the site temporarily as the quickfix solution.

In the end, I would still blame the morons who submitted the offensive clip.

Story is now being reported on FT.com, with the headline 'Thailand blocks YouTube over mocking video'. I'll not post the text or link to the story as I'm not sure how the mods will want to handle this.

I don't see any issues posting a news report on the subject (copyright permitting) - so heres a headline teaser and a link to the news article

Thailand blocks YouTube over mocking video

By Amy Kazmin in Bangkok and Shawn Donnan in Hong Kong

Published: April 4 2007 07:40 | Last updated: April 4 2007 07:40

Thailand’s military-installed government has blocked the popular website YouTube over a provocative video that mocks revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, amid rising political tensions over the role of the monarchy in September’s military coup.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f98243c2-e272-11db...0b5df10621.html

Story is now being reported on FT.com, with the headline 'Thailand blocks YouTube over mocking video'. I'll not post the text or link to the story as I'm not sure how the mods will want to handle this.

I don't see any issues posting a news report on the subject (copyright permitting) - so heres a headline teaser and a link to the news article

Thailand blocks YouTube over mocking video

By Amy Kazmin in Bangkok and Shawn Donnan in Hong Kong

Published: April 4 2007 07:40 | Last updated: April 4 2007 07:40

Thailand’s military-installed government has blocked the popular website YouTube over a provocative video that mocks revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, amid rising political tensions over the role of the monarchy in September’s military coup.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f98243c2-e272-11db...0b5df10621.html

Any bets on whether YouTube will pull it? In the past they have told China, Turkey, Iran, and Brazil among others to stuff it because they don't want the stigma of being censors. Yahoo for example took a lot of flack for selling out to China.

I am about 100 times more interested to see it now that it has disrupted things so much.

I get this message "We are currently performing site maintenance. While some functions of the site -- such as commenting on videos, video uploads, and new user registration -- are temporarily disabled, the basics of the YouTube site are still available."

So, essentially youtube is available for me, no green screen etc etc. ---Again TOT phuket.

Edited by Pomthai

Oh my god... Another blow to Thailand's image.

Okay so now, we could expect a U, or more probably, a Z-turn.

That's so typical :

-insane decision/action from thai authorities

-world media cover

-backfire

-U or Z-turn

As usual, some people will think "mai pen rai" and other sweet "TIT". But, all thoses bad news coming like a cascade from Thailand, dispatched by FT, Economist, Time and other Bloomberg... well that's not good for business.

The moron that submitted the video now has 522 Comments on his User Profile, including countless pleas to YouTube to delete the highly offensive clip.

(suffice to say, I would not want to be him... pissing off an entire country is not the smartest thing to do)

Edited by sriracha john

The moron that submitted the video now has 522 Comments on his User Profile, including countless pleas to YouTube to delete the highly offensive clip.

(suffice to say, I would not want to be him... pissing off an entire country is not the smartest thing to do)

Sad thing is that there are lots of people who just love to piss off other people on the net, so this will be like a starting signal for more similar posts to come.

Sad thing is that there are lots of people who just love to piss off other people on the net, so this will be like a starting signal for more similar posts to come.

a true and valid and disheartening point...

Oh my god... Another blow to Thailand's image.

Okay so now, we could expect a U, or more probably, a Z-turn.

That's so typical :

-insane decision/action from thai authorities

-world media cover

-backfire

-U or Z-turn

As usual, some people will think "mai pen rai" and other sweet "TIT". But, all thoses bad news coming like a cascade from Thailand, dispatched by FT, Economist, Time and other Bloomberg... well that's not good for business.

yes expect a U or Z turn anytime now. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sad thing is countries like China have good enough network engineers that they can block specific pages for example wikipedia pages mentioning Tibet while allowing the rest of wikipedia pages and this way next to nobody knows.

Thailand blocks the entire site with partial effectiveness and brews up a media sh*# storm in the process.

Business as usual.

Problem here as has been noted in the Bangkok Post and in posts herein, is that the process of blocking is indistinct, which gives an element of plausible denial about the whole affair and results in some subnets losing in this case youTube and others from the same provider not.

Regards

Link to bangkok Post stories

http://www.bangkokpost.co.th/topstories/to...s.php?id=117871

/edit typo and add link//

Edited by A_Traveller

I am on True and I cannot access YouTube. I would think that whatever they are trying to achieve by blocking this site they undo by all the adverse publicity they get through doing so.

I think what "they" are trying to do is worthwhile and reflects the view of millions and millions and millions of Thais.

It is hoped that YouTube can be educated in the process and perhaps even be the recipient of some of this adverse publicity in that it has to couch their tremendous power in the use of the world-wide Internet with the sensitivity that not all people want to see anything and everything and that some subjects are unsuitable to show.

They already demonstrate that knowledge to some degree in other areas in that they don't show full-on nudity, but obviously they need to learn this about other areas as well.

looks like video is blocked by MODS already..

Absolutly not.

The tool you are using has problem to display flash, that's all.

Just checked from a PC in Europe : the video is still there.

And no, there is no comments.

But maybe, there is a confusion about the video.

Is it " Thaksin tells it all about Prem's" that we are talking about. Or another one ?