Retirement Extension Expiry and New Issue Procedure

Hi all,

I have a Non-Immigrant O Extension for purpose of Retirement.  This will expire after I leave Thailand.  I will be leaving too early to renew.  When I do return to Thailand I would like to apply for a new Extension.  Can I come in from Australia on a Tourist Visa and start the process again.  If this is the case why do so many people obtain a Non-Immigrant "o" from their home Embassy or nearby outside Thailand.  I have been advised by Chaengwattana phone today that I can come in on a Tourist Visa and start the process and if all is well I should have the new Extension approved in 15 days.  Am I missing something?  

Thanks for all help

You apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. It can be applied for with a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Requirements are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

It will take about 15 days for the visa application to be approved. You can then apply for the extension of stay up to 45 days before your the 90 day entry from the visa expires.

Some people prefer to get the non-o visa prior to entering the country. In your case you would not be able to get one in Australia.

Some people get them at nearby countries due not being able to prove the 800k baht came from abroad when that is needed to apply for the visa at immigration.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

You apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. It can be applied for with a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Requirements are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

It will take about 15 days for the visa application to be approved. You can then apply for the extension of stay up to 45 days before your the 90 day entry from the visa expires.

Some people prefer to get the non-o visa prior to entering the country. In your case you would not be able to get one in Australia.

Some people get them at nearby countries due not being able to prove the 800k baht came from abroad when that is needed to apply for the visa at immigration.

Does this mean that the Non Imm O  is no longer available in Australia. My O-A visa finishes in October and i was going to get the O visa in Brisbane like i used to  before i started using the O-A a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Does this mean that the Non Imm O  is no longer available in Australia. My O-A visa finishes in October and i was going to get the O visa in Brisbane like i used to  before i started using the O-A a few years ago.

The embassy told the honorary consulates not to issue non-o visas for being 50 or over for a couple of years ago.

14 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Just to reenforce what you are now aware of. OZ stopped issuing non o based on retirement years ago. Previously a really go consulate for a non o was Brisbane. Hence some expats living in Thailand on extensions still think non o available in Au.

That's not the case.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Non O-A with the new rubbish insurance requirement.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yep, it's me again, UJ. I keep bugging you. This form is terrific particularly as it's official and has both Thai/English.

Question: Is there a similar official requirements doc for applying for the extension based on retirement?

Thank you for bearing with me.

PS: I did see the link to

https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-thailand-retirement-visa-guide

in a recent thread which lists required docs for retirement extension, but a Thai/English official one is better.