Online teaching from Thailand to students in other ASEAN countries

Speedhump

To any TEFL qualified teachers here, how easy is it to live in Thailand and teach students (one-on-one or small groups) in other countries? I'm not talking about visa requirements, just if there are companies which do this and which I can sign up with? Thanks.

Missed the boat I'm afraid. I have been teaching online for over 4 years. In the last year or so the bottom has fallen out of the market. I have years of experience, two internationally recognized teaching qualifications, a squeaky clean online teaching record with regards to assessments and am a native speaker. My hours have gradually be decreasing. Why? It seems that eastern Europeans, who are prepared to teach for $6 to $8 dollars an hour, are now the preferred option.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:47 PM, puchooay said:

Missed the boat I'm afraid. I have been teaching online for over 4 years. In the last year or so the bottom has fallen out of the market. I have years of experience, two internationally recognized teaching qualifications, a squeaky clean online teaching record with regards to assessments and am a native speaker. My hours have gradually be decreasing. Why? It seems that eastern Europeans, who are prepared to teach for $6 to $8 dollars an hour, are now the preferred option.

Really?

I am on over 25 hours a week and it keeps going up...

You must be doing something wrong as Eastern Europeans arent wanted in the higher quality companies.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Really?

I am on over 25 hours a week and it keeps going up...

You must be doing something wrong as Eastern Europeans aren't wanted in the higher quality companies.

Not doing anything wrong at all. Some people are happy with their position and good luck to them. Most of the groups you see on social media are reeling. The same problems as I posted. I know, from the salary that I have, that I am high end. I guess that is part of the problem. I now earn too much and have become a financial liability. I could take a pay cut and get back to where I was teaching 40 hours a week but I don't wish to do that, especially when there are now better options for me.

Take a look at social media. Look at the names. It is not difficult to spot the eastern Europeans. Many companies taking them on now. Most of them have in the region of $6 and hour or there about. I'm not blaming the companies for this. The see $$$$$ and that's the way it is. They see the chance to get 4 or 5 teachers for the price of one. Why wouldn't they? Same as when the need for a TESOL arose. I already had a certified one but I know that companies were offering one for $25. Not good.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, thequietman said:

This has been done to death.

Just google online teaching positions and pick one. There are many.

I suspect the fact that I have to tell you this, may make you unsuitable to be an online tutor, as you have to think on your feet. ????

I do not see it has been done to death. Where do you see that? Besides, it develops all the time, so is always relevant to discuss.

3 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

I do not see it has been done to death. Where do you see that? Besides, it develops all the time, so is always relevant to discuss.

To be fair, there is an abundance of websites, forums, chatrooms and even posts here on TV about online teaching.

It has been done to death and here is not exactly the best place to be looking for information.

19 hours ago, puchooay said:

To be fair, there is an abundance of websites, forums, chatrooms and even posts here on TV about online teaching.

It has been done to death and here is not exactly the best place to be looking for information.

Then we can close this forum as such, as nearly all questions asked all the time have been done to death. This was the end of all discussion forums on the internet :)