Pattaya: Coronavirus expected to hit hard as crisis meeting mulls options

webfact

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Bar girls are amongst the lowest risk groups. Never met a bar girl who has had a mainland Chinese customer. In fact I'm not certain I've ever seen a mainland Chinese in a bar. Probably the safest places to be in pattaya ATM. Certainly safer than eating in the food court at T21.

i was thinking of the ones in front of the gogos in walking street

with thousands of people (And untill yesterday huge groups of chineses

coughing and spitting) walking in front of them every night

Also don't forget all the massage parlors in the Central marina area

some of the chineses are (Were) the customer base here, beside the indians

But you are right most of the bars have a westerners customers base

so they are not really impacted

Edited by kingofthemountain

My sincere hope is that long term diagnosis of this damned virus turns out to be another SARS / SARS ++ and not the horror movie scenario. That said I think there is little doubt that the short term prospects are looking pretty grim. Behaviours will change , rumours will spread like wildfire on social media and people will become afraid. 10s of thousands of Chinese marooned in Thai hotels and resorts will create their own drama. Parents will clamour for schools to be shut until we know more , and stuff like facemasks and other 'comfort blanket' accessories will be in short supply. Streets and malls will empty and where there are people, most will be wearing masks. Thailand's mai bpen rai might even be an asset in this instance and in hindsight China's 'overreaction' might turn out to be worse than the disease.  

A cough a cold a fever may well make one paranoid and seek medical advice. If this happens on an epic scale like Wuhan, then facilities will be overwhelmed and that will in turn feed back into a sense of unease and rising panic. Folk with non viral medical issues will of course be caught up in all of this.

It's going to be a bumpy few weeks I fear. Keep calm, keep safe and carry on.

Edited by URMySunshine

12 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

My sincere hope is that long term diagnosis of this damned virus turns out to be another SARS / SARS ++ and not the horror movie scenario. That said I think there is little doubt that the short term prospects are looking pretty grim. Behaviours will change , rumours will spread like wildfire on social media and people will become afraid. 10s or thousands of Chinese marooned in Thai hotels and resorts will create their own drama. Parents will clamour for schools to be shut until we know more , and stuff like facemasks and other 'comfort blanket' accessories will be in short supply. Streets and malls will empty and where there are people, most will be wearing masks. Thailand's mai bpen rai might even be an asset in this instance and in hindsight China's 'overreaction' might turn out to be worse than the disease.  

A cough a cold a fever may well make one paranoid and seek medical advice. If this happens on an epic scale like Wuhan, then facilities will be overwhelmed and that will in turn feed back into a sense of unease and rising panic. Folk with non viral medical issues will of course be caught up in all of this.

It's going to be a bumpy few weeks I fear. Keep calm, keep safe and carry on.

A part of your scenario seems to be already on the way

just in case i have now around 1 month of supply in stock (Water, food)

all the shops in the area were out of stock of face masks in less than 2 days

and of course they don't know when they should receive more, if they receive something one day. 

I am not sure to win against a Thai angry\hungry mob of 15 or 20 young men in a fight for water\food so i prefer to take some precautions before, just in case

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The best they could come up with to offset the expected lack of tour groups and families over the coming weeks was to make Nong Nooch gardens free for any Thai coming from Chonburi.

How about lots of scantily clad coyotes wearing N95 facemasks and rubber gloves???  :tongue:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

December 31st 29.69 baht to the dollar now 30.7 Losing the Chinese tourists is going to hurt the economy big time. 

My suggestion let's scrap the TM30 and encourage all tourists to come to Thailand not just China and India.

Create more visa options and incentives to visit Thailand for all tourists!

If things reach the global pandemic stage, Thailand at that point just MIGHT be willing to invite farang folks back again with hospitality... But I wouldn't bet on it!  :ph34r:

5 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I've heard from my nieces in Pattaya that Chinese tourists already here are remaining for the time being in the hotels they are in. Can anyone confirm this. If so this could go on for some time with them 'imprisoned' in their hotels and resorts. I wonder if so what they will do and who will pay for it ?

In a similar vein, I've been wondering for the 8 or so folks thus far confirmed to have the virus here and the many others who were under suspicion, how are their medical bills being handled at the government hospitals treating them?

Are the (mostly) Chinese tourists having to foot the bills for their own treatment, testing and care, or does the MoPH end up picking up the tab for these kinds of things. Haven't heard peepers on the financial aspect of their care, or the same for those who may follow in their footsteps.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

the local population of Koh Larn highly disapprove your plan

on the other hand there is a small island just beside with no one on it

at the moment

just saying

Can they be towed out to sea by the Thai Navy and left there??? The government decided that worked once (or more) before for a different group of outcasts.... 

• Like 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In a similar vein, I've been wondering for the 8 or so folks thus far confirmed to have the virus here and the many others who were under suspicion, how are their medical bills being handled at the government hospitals treating them?

Are the (mostly) Chinese tourists having to foot the bills for their own treatment and care, or does the MoPH end up picking up the tab for these kinds of things. Haven't heard peepers on the financial aspect of their care, or the same for those who may follow in their footsteps.

From the 8 folks, 5 have completely recovered already was in the news yesterday, and it were all 8 Chinese that had arrived recently, so NO infected people from Thailand yet.

Good try, but you should stop the scaremongering

I have read many of these threads re the virus and I don't know how many hundreds of your comments, all valid by the way & well done for speaking up.

I do however find it very strange that our recently installed POTY, who happens to be a Thai, has not bothered to comment on the ludicrous statements being made by government and local officials, it would be nice for us to get a Thai perspective on this don't you think ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Susco said:

From the 8 folks, 5 have completely recovered already was in the news yesterday, and it were all 8 Chinese that had arrived recently, so NO infected people from Thailand yet.

Good try, but you should stop the scaremongering

You're having reading comprehension problems. My prior comment merely raised the question of who has been footing the hospital bills for the 8 people in Thailand who have had confirmed virus diagnoses.

Yes, 5 of the 8 have already gone home, but someone still paid for their hospital time here... Who???   Of the 8 total, 7 were Chinese nationals and 1 was a returning Thai traveler.  I specifically said the virus group thus far has been "mostly Chinese tourists."

Nothing that I said above had even the slightest hint of scaremongering. I just posted a simple question of hospital billing that, thus far, hasn't been publicly answered by any of the government authorities here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're having reading comprehension problems. My prior comment merely raised the question of who has been footing the hospital bills for the 8 people in Thailand who have had confirmed virus diagnoses.

Is that any of your business, or are you afraid they will ask you to foot the bill.

And no, they will not beg the westerners to come back as you sarcastically insinuated in your other post, because westerners have always been welcome, the reason they are not here anymore is because can't afford it anymore or are simply too cheap.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have read many of these threads re the virus and I don't know how many hundreds of your comments, all valid by the way & well done for speaking up.

I do however find it very strange that our recently installed POTY, who happens to be a Thai, has not bothered to comment on the ludicrous statements being made by government and local officials, it would be nice for us to get a Thai perspective on this don't you think ??

Yes she seems to be more interested when one of these pesky farang is involved

in a sad story, particularly if it's located in Pattaya.

Anyway don't held your breath, as usual if she comes and post here

she should confirm all is under control and Thailand handdle very well the situation, as usual.

Just now, kingofthemountain said:

Yes you get it

that's exactly what they have done  4 months ago with the new visa scam insurance

Chinese tourists arriving here probably are rarely on O-A visas (re the government's O-A visa insurance requirement). And I don't know if the typical Chinese tourist coming here arrives with any valid traveler's insurance for Thailand or not.

But I do know, if someone was suspected and then diagnosed with the coronavirus, the costs associated with testing, treatment, hospital isolation care, etc etc would probably get pretty expensive pretty fast. Hence my curiosity of who's been footing the medical bills for the coronavirus diagnosed Chinese tourists here.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Chinese tourists arriving here probably are rarely on O-A visas (re the government's O-A visa insurance requirement). And I don't know if the typical Chinese tourist coming here arrives with any valid traveler's insurance for Thailand or not.

But I do know, if someone was suspected and then diagnosed with the coronavirus, the costs associated with testing, treatment, hospital isolation care, etc etc would probably get pretty expensive pretty fast. Hence my curiosity of who's been footing the medical bills for the coronavirus diagnosed Chinese tourists here.

Yes i think you misunderstand my post because 

that was exactly what i was posted for Susco (And i quoted him)

if the chinese don't have any travel insurance

the cost ends in unpaid bill hospitals, and that was the dodgy

excuse given to us for charge us with the new insurance scam on the OA visa and the extensions of stay.

That was the meaning of my post and also my concern. If the unpaid bills are again huge

next year, who are the next to pay for the tourists unpaid bills? The ones with O visa and extensions?

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Did and health  official or hospital staff get invited to this money meeting?  What about factory owners in chonburi.  I thought Sean Barry was the factory heart of Thailand?  So let's just disrupt the last remaining money producing heart of Thailand.  Shirley they see how obvious this looks to everyone Chinese and Thai and  all foreigners alike. Just what my impression is from going to Thailand for the last three and a half years all you see is greed in everyone's eyes

Yes google voice with no check is a bad idea.  Sorry. 

Did any health  official or hospital staff get invited to this money meeting?  What about factory owners in Chonburi? I thought Chonburi was the factory heart of Thailand?  So let's just disrupt the last remaining money producing heart of Thailand.  Surely they see how obvious this looks to everyone,  Chinese and Thai,  and  all foreigners.  Greed  Iis Just what my impression is from traving 8 trips to Thailand in the last three and a half years.  All you see is greed in everyone's eyes. Plus resentment.  

they say I missed the golden years. 

I’ve been a member of this online community for quite a while now and I think this is the first time posting. If there is a major illness sweeping across the world, the last thing I would want is for large crowds of people to gather in the same place. I think Disney shut down for fear of spreading this disease.  Why would anyone want to open their doors to more crowds? As for the Baht, this will surely affect the value if nobody is coming to spend. 

AE1CA7F4-D690-4AD6-87F1-155E51294F36.jpeg

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Regular flu kills thousands every year.  So far a dozen deaths and panic.  Not so sure the risk is really there.

Flu kills faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more people than SARS, MERS, Wuhan coronavirus combined and they are related to common cold. It killed about 1200 people?

Flu(Influenza virus) in the other hand killed 50 million people 100 years ago. Last year it killed 650,000 people and sending mega-millions to see their doctors and hospitals. And you know where the flu came from.

Worry about the flu and get your flu shot.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Nong Nooch chairman Kamphon Thansajja said that this would be a shot in the arm for tourism.

For making a statement like this one showing no compassion but only concern for how to keep the profits up when people are sick or possibly dying he deserves a shot in the arm... a permanent one!

55 minutes ago, gt162 said:

Flu kills faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more people than SARS, MERS, Wuhan coronavirus combined and they are related to common cold. It killed about 1200 people?

Flu(Influenza virus) in the other hand killed 50 million people 100 years ago. Last year it killed 650,000 people and sending mega-millions to see their doctors and hospitals. And you know where the flu came from.

Worry about the flu and get your flu shot.

Yes true and I sincerely hope you are right. The point about coronavirus is that it is a developing story and we don't yet know enough to make an informed decision as to how to react intelligently so 'safety first' would seem to be a prudent response until we know more. And why are the Chinese authorities 'overreacting if it just indeed flu/cold and why does President Xi say it is of 'grave concern'?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Yes true and I sincerely hope you are right. The point about coronavirus is that it is a developing story and we don't yet know enough to make an informed decision as to how to react intelligently so 'safety first' would seem to be a prudent response until we know more. And why are the Chinese authorities 'overreacting if it just indeed flu/cold and why does President Xi say it is of 'grave concern'?

Just announced the 100th death and 2700 cases. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, johng said:

And the price  for foreign tourist rises to compensate ?????

Make Nong Nooch Gardens a National Park, let the few Western tourists pay a 10 times higher entrance fee.
Problem solved ???? 

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Same as SARS when it first came out and they were slow in responding and China were told for their lack of action. That was 17 years ago.

Proper hand hygiene, surgical mask and proactive steps by avoiding sick people is highly recommended. This is for all including, SARS, MERS, Coronavirus of any kind including common cold.

Also same for the flu(influenza). Deadliest of all by far.

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Tried Homepro today, sold out.

I only intend wearing them when transiting through BKK and Phnom Penh airports.

Tried Thai Wassadu today. Shelves empty, only have the basic dust masks (PM 2.5). Tried Fascino and another pharmacy for antibacterial hand gel. Facino said, "No gel in Pattaya".

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Tried Thai Wassadu today. Shelves empty, only have the basic dust masks (PM 2.5). Tried Fascino and another pharmacy for antibacterial hand gel. Facino said, "No gel in Pattaya".

And from tomorrow morning no water at all in all Pattaya city and for 2 days

(29 and 30january) It's not going to help to keep a good hygienic level in public places.

Thailand is totaly unprepared for this virus problem

• Like 1