Caught Taxi driver cheating

petedk

Every Sunday morning I take the same taxi journey from my home to a place of work. The fare is from 65 to 75 baht depending on the traffic. I think the highest it has been is about 80 Baht when there was a very bad traffice jam.

Yesterday the traffic was very light and when I was about halfway I noticed that the fare was already 65 Baht. We were driving along a long straight road and I noticed the meter at that point was clicking every 3 or 4 seconds. I mentioned it to the driver and he grunted something or other to me. We stopped and it was already at 99 Baht. 

I asked him (in Thai) if there was something wrong the meter as I saw it increasing so quickly. He snapped back at me that "technical problem" and said very quickly "Ok 60 Baht".

I gave him the 60 baht and there were three Thai people waiting to get in. He just sped off and refused to take them.

I know I should have filmed the meter, but the whole thing from when I noticed the meter to when I got out happened so fast. I managed to get a photo of his number and thought about reporting him, but without proof I guess it is pointless.

I am only glad that I speak Thai and didn't have problems with him.

I have lived here 20 years and never had serious problems with taxi drivers, but from now on I will have my mobile ready should anything happen again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

waste of time if he doesn't have plate number or driver reg name or no.

All that is required is what he has and the taxi can be called in to check - a very small number have tampered meters to allow such but normally they activate on bumps and not smooth highway - so indeed there may have been something wrong with the meter and why he did not pick up other pax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This happens often especially here in Asia. I never forget a ride in Hanoi. The meter jumped like crazy and I told him to stop the car immediately. I got out and didn't pay. He threw stones after me and shouted things I was happy not to understand. 

I reported previously on TVF in Sept 2019, getting an older blue taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Bang Yai.. I take the route often, 63km.. The taxi's meter was going at fathom speed along the motorway already at 50km. I said to the driver that the meter was faulty and going too fast. He threatened to drop me off along the motorway and said I could find another taxi or minibus. I thought, it was late and he'd probably take off with my luggage and leave me behind, so I shut up.. 

Get to Bang Yai, meter on 96km and fare was over 700bht incl. motorway tolls, usually around 500bht Max. Too dark to photo his ID and meter, I'd have to use flash and again he could dump me off without my luggage coming out.. So I just took the loss this time.. The first and only taxi I've had with a souped up meter at grand prix speed.. Still 25% of the meter price than I'd pay in Melbourne.. 

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

In my time I have had about 6-7 meters spinning wild from both airports and told them in Thai that their meter is going too fast and I know why. They always switch it off after but become grumpy as heck.. 

I also had it from the airport to our home...One day i even had a taxi where the driver was working on the meter, the dashboard was open, the meter was half open en many wires going from the meter to a switch next to indicator stick...guess he was building it but had no time to finish it so he just used it to make money...

This is Thailand, scamming taxi's is as old as BKK, same as the scams at the Palaces....or jetski scams....or lottery tickets.....the weak general can't fix anything..

• Like 1

Actually such taxis a few and far between - in my 50 years of using taxi service have only had a handful of such overcharges (and I travel same routes so know normal rates).  The few times it happened was only about 20-30 baht difference so upsetting but not worthwhile having a coronary about.  In most cases less than a normal Western country tip.  Obviously the odds increase for airport/hotel pickups where they do not believe traveler will know costs or be aware.

• Like 1

I know it's a rare occurrence but I had the opposite happen to me. The meter was covered with a towel to prevent overheating so I could not see the numbers, but when I arrived home from the airport it was half the normal 300 baht fare. The driver was shocked and we both agreed on a 300 baht fare.

Just saying sometimes the meters are messed up and it might not be his fault, but you are totally right to call him out on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

I also had it from the airport to our home...One day i even had a taxi where the driver was working on the meter, the dashboard was open, the meter was half open en many wires going from the meter to a switch next to indicator stick...guess he was building it but had no time to finish it so he just used it to make money...

This is Thailand, scamming taxi's is as old as BKK, same as the scams at the Palaces....or jetski scams....or lottery tickets.....the weak general can't fix anything..

My rule of thumb? I just call out a real number for having no meter. Plus tollway fees include. I don't really care much about a baht or two but care about a good fun reciprocated ride on what they and I think is cool to go. I normally say 400 baht and toll way included. Big deal. This is from the airport. In the city I never get taken............…........ But I also tip to make sure all the other a- holes who did not creating a cheap Charlie frame, but at least he know there was me. And I paid no more than what should be paid 

Edited by holy cow cm

23 hours ago, petedk said:

The fare is from 65 to 75 baht depending on the traffic

OMG, the taxi motorbikes here is PAttaya wouldn't start their motorbike for that little fare.

If they did you would probably get 100 metres.

I hate the metered taxis that dont turn on their meters ar tamper with them........but you got to feel sorry for them. 

I reckon Thailand has the cheapest taxis in the world, I hate catching a taxi in Australia.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dsj said:

That happen to me once, and my friend told me that what some taxi drivers do is after they get the meters properly calibrated, they will go and put small tires on the car so the tires rotate more in less distance.

" Down-sizing, or installing a shorter tire, will cause the speedometer to read a faster speed than you are actually driving. This is because the smaller tire will have a smaller circumference, causing the tire to travel less distance per rotation than the original equipment tire."

So one thing I look for in a taxi is to see if the tires look okay.

can i measure each tire with a tape measure before i get into the taxi

• Like 1

This reminds me of an airport scam I recently fell prey to.  I needed a taxi so I went to the lower area where they are located outside and their was a small booth toward the north side.  A lady then walked us to the parking area opposite the terminal and a new Chinese made electric car picked us up.  Our hotel was only a maximum 100 baht away but I noticed the meter started at 150!  The fee was 300 to go this short journey.  I believe it was a Chinese run company probably operating illegally.  Beware the scams continue.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

OMG, the taxi motorbikes here is PAttaya wouldn't start their motorbike for that little fare.

If they did you would probably get 100 metres.

I hate the metered taxis that dont turn on their meters ar tamper with them........but you got to feel sorry for them. 

I reckon Thailand has the cheapest taxis in the world, I hate catching a taxi in Australia.

Yes the pattaya motorbike mafia are no worse than the phuket tuktuk mafia.  Same <deleted> different pile.

18 hours ago, owenm said:

I reported previously on TVF in Sept 2019, getting an older blue taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Bang Yai.. I take the route often, 63km.. The taxi's meter was going at fathom speed along the motorway already at 50km. I said to the driver that the meter was faulty and going too fast. He threatened to drop me off along the motorway and said I could find another taxi or minibus. I thought, it was late and he'd probably take off with my luggage and leave me behind, so I shut up.. 

Get to Bang Yai, meter on 96km and fare was over 700bht incl. motorway tolls, usually around 500bht Max. Too dark to photo his ID and meter, I'd have to use flash and again he could dump me off without my luggage coming out.. So I just took the loss this time.. The first and only taxi I've had with a souped up meter at grand prix speed.. Still 25% of the meter price than I'd pay in Melbourne.. 

Or 25% more than in Nigeria.

• Like 1

This reminds me of an airport scam I recently fell prey to.  I needed a taxi so I went to the lower area where they are located outside and their was a small booth toward the north side.  A lady then walked us to the parking area opposite the terminal and a new Chinese made electric car picked us up.  Our hotel was only a maximum 100 baht away but I noticed the meter started at 150!  The fee was 300 to go this short journey.  I believe it was a Chinese run company probably operating illegally.  Beware the scams continue.

It's currently open season for scams in Pattaya and elsewhere.  I needed a taxi from Jomtien to Nong Nooch Gardens a short 20 km highway commute and I was quoted 700 - 1200 from independent taxi drivers, online companies and Grab.  I can go the airport for a few hundred more.  Ridiculous.

Edited by tlandtday