Myanmar. Visas Getting Tough To Get. Also Info On Bme1 & Bme2

Having had two Visa last year in July and December two of us decided to go there for Sonkran this year.

With flights and hotel (Traders Yangon) already booked it was time to get our visas. We are both Brits living in LOS for many years and Visa's were easy last year so I never gave it a thought as easy the last two times.

My local agent collected our passports and photos etc yesterday and then called me to ask for a copy of my UK ID card which is now required. I said we did not have ID cards so she said a Thai work permit would suffice. Fine for Tony as he has one but I dont work and have a retirement visa. Apparently this new rule is for UK and US citizens and not sure if the US has ID cards either.

We are still trying and the agent said that maybe a UK driving license might work but she is not sure. On top of that we had to supply the name and address of our homes in the UK but as we dont have one any more that was difficult too so found an address for a relative that should be OK.

It seems like it is getting more difficult to go to Burma and anyone else experienced this problem???

My favourite night spot in Yangon burnt down last year (BME2) and I hear it will now become a swimming pool. Shame but I also now hear that BME1 (second favourite) has received a 1 month closure but not sure when or if it is open now. Anyone else know please? Any recent info on the nightlife in Yangon would be greatly appreciated as we still hope to get there.

Hey

It is not compulsory for US Citizens to either have or carry an ID card in the USA. Although it may be difficult to do many things without one.

The one exception to this rule are people here with a 'green' card or Legal Permanent Residence Card, which must be carried by them at all times. Although these people are not US Citizens, they are required to carry their LPR Card.

Kind regards

Peter

Bumping this one to the top as no answers yet to the main question of what is open now. Has anyone been to Burma (Myanmar) in the last few months please.

Also have now been told every bar/club is closed for their new year 12th to 16th April. Could this be true???