Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

"With the number of people infected now standing at 14, the country's health minister Anutin Charnvirakul has admitted the country “is not able to stop the spread” of the virus because there are so many Chinese travellers there."

What happened to "Thailand’s PM assures coronavirus situation is “100% under control”". Lets see who should I believe the health minister or the smiling Thai used car salesman. Need more time!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Are there any semi accurate numbers regarding percentage of case that are fatal? Thousands die from garden variety flu every year...

Time for some binge watching, finally get around to Breaking Bad and the Wire.

“Anything that is done that increases social distancing can help decrease the spread of the virus, said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “If you do it right, it’s not impossible it will have positive impact.”
Dang! I was gonna work on being less obnoxious, opinionated, speaking my mind (what's left of it) grumpy old man, but turns out all that is a protective mechanism. Have to hone my "<deleted> off", "Sod off", and very 'Merican "<deleted> off" for openers

About 3%.A tad more than your average flu from what I’ve read.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

"With the number of people infected now standing at 14, the country's health minister Anutin Charnvirakul has admitted the country “is not able to stop the spread” of the virus because there are so many Chinese travellers there."

What happened to "Thailand’s PM assures coronavirus situation is “100% under control”". Lets see who should I believe the health minister or the smiling Thai used car salesman. Need more time!

If it keeps increasing at this rate it might get over 100 by christmas

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

No problem. I've already taken to my bed. Have smart TV, internet, en suite and a tray being pushed through my door, every couple of hours with copious amounts of food and drink. Unfortunately unable to help with washing up, gardening and shopping.

Life's tough but I'm determined to beat this.

Now all ya need to do is beat the pollution ey !!

2 hours ago, hrrecruiter said:

I rather pay a tiny amount for Masks for myself and the family even if it doesnt guaranteed 100% protection - got a batch w 10 for 599thb on lazada and they ship home in a couple days. Helps w pollution if nothing else. https://bit.ly/2U6vQ1L

Good choice of place for buying stuff. Now you are really sure to get the genuine w10. ????????????

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

What advances. Best prediction is that it'll take a year to develop a vaccine, otherwise, no known cure.

There was no vaccine at all for the Spanish flu. Now we'll have one within a year. That seems like an advance to me.

20 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Well, Thailand seems to getting behind on reporting their numbers. https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Wonder why..........?

Could have something to do with this:

"the Public Health Ministry had instructed provincial health offices to stop reporting the numbers of suspected and confirmed coronavirus cases" 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hrrecruiter said:

I rather pay a tiny amount for Masks for myself and the family even if it doesnt guaranteed 100% protection - got a batch w 10 for 599thb on lazada and they ship home in a couple days. Helps w pollution if nothing else. https://bit.ly/2U6vQ1L

If someone sneezes, germs spread to half the room. It will still enter your eyes and ears. However if you are sick, it will stop the spread and it does stop germs that you touch from getting to your mouth.