Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

So where do you see the "massive amount of Chinese tourists in Pattaya" according to you?

You are the type of person who reads about 132 dead in China and because of that you don't leave your condo because you're scared <deleted>less. 

I don't live in a condo. I go into Pattaya most days. Was in Jomtien yesterday. Chinese horde had invaded Immigration big time.

7 minutes ago, englishoak said:

There wont be a cure perse, a vaccine possibly but estimates for use best predictions are a year or so... Oz has already successfully copied the virus and its the first step.. China wont currently share the original its got for some reason but assume its on it too... then trials then more trails then mass production, delivery nd finally to the masses.. 

It's not possible to come up with a vaccine for the Coronavirus yet because of the mutations. Every type of virus mutates. Just think about HIV, no vaccine yet after so many years. 

• Like 1

this will be pretty much forgotten next week.  during the time of this coronavirus, multiples more people have died of regular old flu.  the coronavirus has a mortality rate of 3%, whereas flu has a mortality rate of 1%.  

last week at this time everyone was ranting and raving about the lopburi murderer, mr. golf.  now, there's no mention of him, at least on the first pages of TV.  the news cycle these days is incredibly short, sad to say.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
5 hours ago, SkyFax said:

All I can say is that, if for Thailand it is too late and that this has spread out of control already, I'm glad I'm not in Pattaya.

You don't seem to know that BKK is the most popular place for Chinese tourists, and maybe Chiang-Mai is number two because of the Chinese population there. I am staying in Jomtien and some days I don't see any Chinese tourists, even when going into Pattaya. The Chinese New Year isn't very big in Pattaya and the celebrations are not the same as in other places in Thailand. 

Yeah - Yeah - Yeah. I was only taking a whack at the guy who wrote that "if this is not already spread out of control" stuff, not at Pattaya.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How thick is the bedroom door? bear in mind antibiotics work with bacteria, not viruses.

Various people here keep posting referring to "antibiotic" wipes and such. I don't think there is any such thing.

I think what they're actually referring to are "anti-microbial" wipes and soaps/gels.

• Like 1

One of the factors that inhibits transmission of "normal" seasonal flu virus is higher temperatures and humidity.  It's why flu season is generally in the winter.  (Google "flu virus heat cold" for studies that have concluded this.)

If - and that's a big if - the same holds for the coronavirus then that may be a mitigating factor for the warmer, more humid geographic locations (e.g., Thailand.)

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Various people here keep posting referring to "antibiotic" wipes and such. I don't think there is any such thing.

I think what they're actually referring to are "anti-microbial" wipes and soaps/gels.

Anti-bacterial.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SkyFax said:

All I can say is that, if for Thailand it is too late and that this has spread out of control already, I'm glad I'm not in Pattaya.

I'm in pattaya. 

It's too late for many things here..

Coronavirus is just one more nail in the coffin. 

Thai traders were telling Chinese (and Indians) to get out of Mike Mall the other night. [Seriously].

The rest of the local community don't seem aware of world news, or buy a newspaper. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I purchased Dettol antibacterial wet wipes. That's what it says on the packet.

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

It's not possible to come up with a vaccine for the Coronavirus yet because of the mutations. Every type of virus mutates. Just think about HIV, no vaccine yet after so many years. 

Yup thats mostly true but is possible to a point, i could have been clearer when i said possibly. 

A lot will depend on how the virus mutates. If it dilutes it could just become a lot less aggressive or deadly on its own and effectively peter out, or it could go the other way.... or stabilise allowing a vaccine to made and  effective much like other strains of flu. They give the flu vaccine every year based on best guess and labwork of the most likely strain that season and why its an annual thing and not permanent. 

There is a company who analyzed all the flights out of China,  and Thailand was the top tourist destination.    It's just sad the peak travel from china overlapped with this virus. You have  to be totally brain dead to think Thailand's numbers didnt go up exponentially  the last 2 days.  It is so scary that the health  minister has put a gag order on provincial health officials  about wuhan case numbers.  I dont put much stock in confirmed  cases because  I am sure the DNA test kits are in short supply or not well distributed.   DNA testing is likely backed up.  

I  am so sure thailand is not ready.  So many reports of masks  sold out  everywhere.  Is the government  saying they have stockpiles of n95 masks to distribute?  No!  in fact police and other mask handouts are the wrong type masks and just show us the expected  media blurp for the  5 o'clock  news.   

I would not  travel to Thailand  now.  

There is a chance you may get stranded in Thailand.  Yiu may hav ed to go in quarantine if you do get home. By mid February it is possible  countries or airlines  will ban flights from Thailand.   BA and another airline  I think a German one have cancelled service to China.   

I saw video of the suited guys spraying something  in the airplane.   Tell me they can sanitize  all the air ducts and jets in  an airplane.    

Edited by Elkski

38 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I saw a statement by a former CDC person and he said they really don't know and for the most part never really know because an unknown number of people catch the flu but never go to the hospital so the total infected number would be way too low. The people who are getting percentages from the infected numbers and the death numbers will greatly overstate the mortality rate. 

On top of that, the mortality rate among strong healthy people is very low. I bet that almost everyone out of the 132 dead in China were old or /and already sick people with a bad immune system. Just a few days ago there were reports about people already recovering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

There is a company who analyzed all three flights out of China and Thailand was the top tourist destination.    It's just sad the peak travel from china overlapped this virus.  It is totally brain dead to thunk Thailand's numbers didnt go up exponentially  the last 2 days.  It is so scary that the health  minister has out a gag order on provincial possible wuhan cases.  I dont put much stock in confirmed because  I am sure the DNA test kitsch are in short supply or not well distributed.   DNA testing is likely backed up.  

I so sure thailand is no ready.  So many reports of masks  as anywhere.  Is the government  say9ng they have stockpiles of n95 masks?  No in fact police and other mask handouts are the wrong type masks and just show us the expected  media blurp dir 5 o'clock  news.   

There is a chance you may get stranded in Thailand.   By mid February it is possible  countries or airlines  will ban flights from Thailand.   Ba and another airline  I think a German one have cancelled service to China.   

I saw video of the suited guys spraying something  in the airplane.   Tell me they can sanitize  all the air ducts and jets in  an airplane.    

Yes it is VERY scary that they have decided to hide their numbers. Clearly they must have realised that they now have outbreaks in all their tourist cities. In a situaiton like this information is so important and seems like Thailand has still not accepted the reality of their tourism industry being doomed.

A very big chance of ending up being stranded in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elkski said:

There is a company who analyzed all three flights out of China and Thailand was the top tourist destination.    It's just sad the peak travel from china overlapped this virus.  It is totally brain dead to thunk Thailand's numbers didnt go up exponentially  the last 2 days.  It is so scary that the health  minister has out a gag order on provincial possible wuhan cases.  I dont put much stock in confirmed because  I am sure the DNA test kitsch are in short supply or not well distributed.   DNA testing is likely backed up.  

I so sure thailand is no ready.  So many reports of masks  as anywhere.  Is the government  say9ng they have stockpiles of n95 masks?  No in fact police and other mask handouts are the wrong type masks and just show us the expected  media blurp dir 5 o'clock  news.   

There is a chance you may get stranded in Thailand.   By mid February it is possible  countries or airlines  will ban flights from Thailand.   Ba and another airline  I think a German one have cancelled service to China.   

Every modern commercial airplane since ~15 years back uses HEPA filters which are very efficient. But they might not help when it comes to viruses like the Corona. 

1 hour ago, RoiEtDale said:

I’m think massive class action lawsuit against the Corona beer company. 

I’ve noticed your corona leanings in your posts and it made me wonder if their sales have indeed been affected by this and would not be surprised if they had.

You know, there is a lot of Thai bashing here ... and I would like to say, sometimes ... "worst case scenarios" actually do happen.  Example:  The Corona virus, with a 14 day incubation period, got going during "high season" in Thailand.  Then, to ensure the worst possible result, Murphy's Law kicked into high gear, and we had Chinese New Year!  You need to look at a map and understand that Thailand is ... in many cases ... the vacation choice for China.  

who-could-have-seen-that-coming.png

2 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Sure, let's put things into perspective.

8,000 deaths from the flu in the US from 15,000,000 people who contracted the flu.  That's a mortality rate of .05%.

Coronavirus mortality rate is indeterminate but is estimated at roughly 3%.  

Does that help your perspective?  

Even if the Coronavirus mortality rate is much higher compared to the flu, it kills same type of people, mostly old and sick people with a bad immune system. It's ~18 years between the SARS outbreak in 2002 and the Coronavirus in 2020. During those years in between, how many deaths from different types of flu worldwide? I don't have a clue, but I bet the number is very high. Even if the Coronavirus hasn't spiked yet, and many more will die, the numbers won't even be close to the amount of people who died from the flu (and will keep dying every year), and most people just laugh about the flu,they don't even see it as dangerous, if you know what I mean. Despite flu vaccines, people keep dying. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Even if the Coronavirus mortality rate is much higher compared to the flu, it kills same type of people, mostly old and sick people with a bad immune system. It's ~18 years between the SARS outbreak in 2002 and the Coronavirus in 2020. During those years in between, how many deaths from different types of flu worldwide? I don't have a clue, but I bet the number is very high. Even if the Coronavirus hasn't spiked yet, and many more will die, the numbers won't even be close to the amount of people who died from the flu (and will keep dying every year), and most people just laugh about the flu,they don't even see it as dangerous, if you know what I mean. Despite flu vaccines, people keep dying. 

How about the word pneumonia  or encephalitis or kidney failure ? all major causes of death brought on by the flu. People are indeed weird how they react to conditioning and we can get used to anything

Youd think with the road kill and accidents in Thailand people would be more bothered with safety and proper road use but nope..

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Even if the Coronavirus mortality rate is much higher compared to the flu, it kills same type of people, mostly old and sick people with a bad immune system. 

Max, know your audience.  This is TVF, where the median member age hovers around 100.  ????‍????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

What are the figures on the number of deaths outside of China currently?Is that an indication of anything?Just wondering.

The figure is zero. I doubt any conclusions can be drawn though because the number of infected outside of China is extremely small.

• Like 2

how is it possible that there has not been a case of a wuhan resident who traveled to thailand passing the virus along to a thai (or another resident of thailand) ?  i know there is a somewhat long incubation period but i'm shocked that we haven't seen one single case.  i've seen one in japan and i think another in germany.  but thousands more wuhan residents have come to thailand than have gone to japan and germany.  i guess we'll call it 'luck of the draw' for now.

2 minutes ago, buick said:

how is it possible that there has not been a case of a wuhan resident who traveled to thailand passing the virus along to a thai (or another resident of thailand) ?  i know there is a somewhat long incubation period but i'm shocked that we haven't seen one single case.  i've seen one in japan and i think another in germany.  but thousands more wuhan residents have come to thailand than have gone to japan and germany.  i guess we'll call it 'luck of the draw' for now.

Perhaps because Thailand isn't publishing their infection statistics.  

3 minutes ago, buick said:

Thailand has Amulets 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, runamok27 said:
12 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

What are the figures on the number of deaths outside of China currently?Is that an indication of anything?Just wondering.

The figure is zero. I doubt any conclusions can be drawn though because the number of infected outside of China is extremely small.

and for those old enough to remember:

There no Atomic Bombs dropped from B36s (well, none in anger at least ???? )   

- to deter the threat of nuclear annihilation. Virus Deterrence can work the same way