Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918-20 infected an estimated 500 million people and killed 20-50 million. Now that was a virus to be worried about. 

the media really need to stop over hyping this stuff. more people will die from starvation due to lost tourism income than from this flu analogue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, englishoak said:

we are over the entire 2 years of SARS

SARS didn't last anywhere near that length.  Most reports put it at 5 - 6 months with the longest report nearing 9 months.

SARS was much more virulent with a much higher mortality than the present coronavirus as far as we know currently.

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

Already far out performing SARS which peaked at 8,000 cases, no one in any country is safe till we know more about it, as the Chinese travel worldwide these days

But humans are very clever, a cure will be found

A cure for SARS was never found.  It vanished as quickly as it appeared and can never come back.

• Like 1

As usual in these instances, the Media plays up the threat whether real or not!!... Ppl need to take normal precautions & follow travel advisories from their country's Foreign Affairs in relation to the Virus issue & travel advice... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

THE death toll for coronavirus has surged to 132 people

Posted 3 hours ago and already out of date.. over 170... 

Lancet published paper indicating death rate of >10%. 

https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620302117.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1FiC1Q8pL4sw9NKD_lMmyCkAchylxaVMOM7Ma9QkRWt74x6e7WjQPTOUY

(17%) patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and, among them, 11 (11%) patients worsened in a short period of time and died of multiple organ failure.

Overnight journalists from Initium News Agency claimed 'proof' of systematic cover ups by the Chinese.. That proof hasnt yet been published as far as I can translate. See 

So given that 

1) there is always going to be a multi day lag time between infection and mortality, especially at the speed of infection rising.. and 
2) you have to choose between the Lancet, or Chinas state apparatus (your call). 

You can expect some ugly numbers coming over the next weeks.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Sadly its not going to take weeks just days, today the official death-toll increased by 28.7 % y the weekend if the projection holds it will surpass the SARS toll. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Posted 3 hours ago and already out of date.. over 170... 

Lancet published paper indicating death rate of >10%. 

https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620302117.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1FiC1Q8pL4sw9NKD_lMmyCkAchylxaVMOM7Ma9QkRWt74x6e7WjQPTOUY

Overnight journalists from Initium News Agency claimed 'proof' of systematic cover ups by the Chinese.. That proof hasnt yet been published as far as I can translate. See 

So given that 

1) there is always going to be a multi day lag time between infection and mortality, especially at the speed of infection rising.. and 
2) you have to choose between the Lancet, or Chinas state apparatus (your call). 

Yeah, I get it, that's why they are shipping them to Thailand, the greatest loop hole sucker for Tourism first

I live in  Samui in a rather remote area, where nobody is passing, so if I stay at home I don't see anyone, apart from doing my shopping from time to time. I intended to make an appointment with my embassy in Bangkok, which means taking the plane, the airport of Bangkok with a lot of people take a taxi to go to the embassy, another to come back, I shorten my story lol do you think it's safer to postpone or am I just paranoid and I should still go as planned?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Unlike China, there are currently no travel bans in place for Thailand. However, the country's proximity to China and its popularity as a tourist destination for Chinese nationals means it's a high risk destination.

Thailand was the first country to confirm a coronavirus case on January 12, and is currently the worst affected nation outside of China.

A great joint effort from the two people who are charged with taking care of the country !!!!

They should both be removed from office or the government has no conscience.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/china-virus-death-toll-rises-to-170-more-than-1700-new-cases/

China virus death toll rises to 170, more than 1,700 new cases

BEIJING (REUTERS, AFP) – China’s National Health Commission said on Thursday the total number of confirmed deaths from the coronavirus in the country has risen by 38 to 170 as of end-Wednesday, as the number of infected patients rose by more than 1,700.

1 minute ago, galenjones said:

Everyone should get the latest information.
I studied medical science and I feel safe in Thailand.
Officially, 14 people are infected and sick, but not deadly sick, but flu-like.
The best preventive is: Wash your hands often.
Avoid coconut palm trees.
Every year about 150 people are killed by a coconut.

The official number in Thailand was 14, until they decided to no longer make the  numbers public. Wonder why?

My bet is that Thailand already stands with an uncontrollable outbreak in all their tourist cities.

No other reason to stop making the numbers public.

• Haha 1

Yes, it is quite safe. Over 600,000 people worldwide died from a flu last year. Flu viruses are everywhere. This is a tiny blip on the screen so far. If I were planning a trip here, this would not affect my decision to come. But, most will not feel that way. 

This is really going to hurt tourism. What the authorities do not seem to get is that quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. All it needs now is a spread of this virus. It could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. I already know one family that has cancelled their trip over here. Why take a chance, is going to be the typical attitude. Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust? And how many flights from China, are still coming into Thailand daily? That is a scary thought. I like the Chinese people, but do not want to be anywhere near them right now! My guess is that the majority of the world feels that way, and tourists have alot of choices. The last thing in the world a tourist wants out of their trip is a potentially deadly disease, or being quarantined. 

However, sometimes wonderful things arise out of hardship and suffering. The people here seem to be getting angry at the administration. It is about time. Something needs to wake up the population, and encourage them to rise up and resist the massive corruption and incompetence engulfing this nation. Perhaps the massive drop in tourism will be just such a magic pill. Prayuth should tender his resignation now. He has shown the nation that he is not up to the task, and has consistently refused to appoint people based on merit, or talent. Get out now. You are not needed, you are not wanted, and you are despised by the masses. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I'll be traveling to Thailand on the 8th of February. I'm looking forward to a wonderful holiday with my wife. and I'm a senior citizen also. Not worried about virus in the least 

I think there is a good chance you will cancel your trip, when Thailand reveals their numbers on 7th of February.

'country “is not able to stop the spread” of the virus because there are so many Chinese travellers there. '

I'll bet that there are more Chinese travellers in Cambodia and the UK at any given time.

Australia must be worried!

Nowhere is safe from catching this virus. I find a good single malt to be a good antidote.

• Like 1