Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, it is quite safe. Over 600,000 people worldwide died from a flu last year. Flu viruses are everywhere. This is a tiny blip on the screen so far. If I were planning a trip here, this would not affect my decision to come. But, most will not feel that way. 

This is really going to hurt tourism. What the authorities do not seem to get is that quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. All it needs now is a spread of this virus. It could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. I already know one family that has cancelled their trip over here. Why take a chance, is going to be the typical attitude. Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust? And how many flights from China, are still coming into Thailand daily? That is a scary thought. I like the Chinese people, but do not want to be anywhere near them right now! My guess is that the majority of the world feels that way, and tourists have alot of choices. The last thing in the world a tourist wants out of their trip is a potentially deadly disease, or being quarantined. 

However, sometimes wonderful things arise out of hardship and suffering. The people here seem to be getting angry at the administration. It is about time. Something needs to wake up the population, and encourage them to rise up and resist the massive corruption and incompetence engulfing this nation. Perhaps the massive drop in tourism will be just such a magic pill. Prayuth should tender his resignation now. He has shown the nation that he is not up to the task, and has consistently refused to appoint people based on merit, or talent. Get out now. You are not needed, you are not wanted, and you are despised by the masses. 

Oh hell yeah its horrible for the economy and total recall of all Corona beer needs to go into effect immediately! Prayuth has nothing to do with it I think the CEO of the Corona company should resign now and apologise to the world. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I’ve noticed your corona leanings in your posts and it made me wonder if their sales have indeed been affected by this and would not be surprised if they had.

I bet it has that’s why they should have named it the Kung Flu virus. I mean why bring Mexico into your problems? It comes from China. 

Edited by RoiEtDale
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, buick said:

how is it possible that there has not been a case of a wuhan resident who traveled to thailand passing the virus along to a thai (or another resident of thailand) ?  i know there is a somewhat long incubation period but i'm shocked that we haven't seen one single case.  i've seen one in japan and i think another in germany.  but thousands more wuhan residents have come to thailand than have gone to japan and germany.  i guess we'll call it 'luck of the draw' for now.

Wuhan is the biggest city in the Hubei province with ~12 million people. There are a total of ~60 million people in the province (just ~9 million less than Thailand) and I guess people outside Wuhan also travels abroad even if they have less money than the city folks.  

I wish there was more information about individual risks. For example, are most fatalities in older or infirm people, or young children, or is it indiscriminate?

From what I can tell most fatalities are from associated pneumonia which can be fatal in the elderly.

Most people going to hospital with the Corona Novel Visus seem to be released after one or two days (presumably when they no longer test positive).

17 minutes ago, buick said:

how is it possible that there has not been a case of a wuhan resident who traveled to thailand passing the virus along to a thai (or another resident of thailand) ?  i know there is a somewhat long incubation period but i'm shocked that we haven't seen one single case.  i've seen one in japan and i think another in germany.  but thousands more wuhan residents have come to thailand than have gone to japan and germany.  i guess we'll call it 'luck of the draw' for now.

Let's just call it hidden statistics !

Edited by trainman34014

10 minutes ago, buick said:

Well, my guess is that Thailand has cases of transfers to Thais and are currently figuring out how to annonce this.

First step seems to be not to publish their numbers of infected. Next step to say things are under control, but there is a risk of outbreak in all tourist cities.

I guess last step will be to throw the bomb and tell the truth, which is hard because Thais will not react so nicely to that.

43 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Sure, let's put things into perspective.

8,000 deaths from the flu in the US from 15,000,000 people who contracted the flu.  That's a mortality rate of .05%.

Coronavirus mortality rate is indeterminate but is estimated at roughly 3%.  

Does that help your perspective?  

Not much really, but thanks for the effort.  The same sense of pandemonium occurred during SARS which (since we are talking about perspective) had a mortality rate of nearly 10%.  The containment efforts for SARS were laughable, even in the west, yet a vaccine was never discovered and nobody to my knowledge has died of SARS in over a decade.

I love how people are wandering about wearing their "surgical" masks thinking they actually are doing some good.

carry on as usual folks, just be a little more vigilant with hygiene and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rtco said:

The advice is that masks are next to useless

Advice based on what actual scientific evidence or studies? According to at least 3 properly-conducted scientific studies, masks can help, although only if combined with frequent hand-washing.

... one such study was conducted by a team of researchers from the University of Michigan on more than 1,000 students living in residence halls. They assigned the student to groups: those who wore masks, those who wore masks and practiced hand hygiene, and those who did neither. The results showed that those who wore masks in residence halls and practiced good hand washing reduced their risk of flu-like illness by an astonishing 75 percent.

Studies show masks do help

The missus and I are off to Hat Yai airport in half an hour to travel back to Swampy. 

1. In laws are dropping us off - have said not to come into terminal.

2, We have N95 masks , sunglasses , hand gel and gloves - will kit up on entering the terminal. 

3. Will enter terminal about an hour before flight - check in drop baggage and then wait till 30 mins before departure before entering again before passing security.

4. Departure lounge - keep away from folk as best as possible. 

5. Plane - maximum biohazard security - particular attention to hand to mouth contact. 

6. Exit plane when folk have left no point in standing up and pushing and shoving.

7. Repeat distance procedure when picking up bags and exit. 

8. Taxi booked back to Jomtien condo -would normally go back by bus.

9. First thing back in condo - shower and wash thoroughly.

10. Look at flights back to UK soonest.

And I am one who isn't that worried about this in theory !

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

World Health Organization Western Pacific update China

The total number of confirmed cases of the 2019 novel coronavirus reported from mainland China to date is 7,711. This includes 1,370 severe cases and 170 people who have died. 

the more we learn as time passes, the lower the mortality rate seems to dip.  I wonder what will be the news of the week next week?  anything new on Mr. Golf?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never fear ,,,, the PM says it is 100% under control. As I already stated stupid comment.

Pleasing to see the the Boss of the Health Dept has at least not been a puppet & come out with the real facts & problems faced.

BA stopped all flights to & from China ,,,,does Thailand have the B,,ls ?

The endless, impotent shilly-shallying over issues such as climate change, refugee crises and pandemic outbreaks begs a serious question. . . 

Isn't there a better way to run the planet than the via the present mish-mash of flawed political systems, all designed to serve national rather than global interests?

Least said about some of the more authoritarian administrations operating across the planet - particularly in Islamic nations where Sharia rules - the better. But even our own much-touted Western model of democracy is long in the tooth and increasingly short on delivering against public expections, as the latest in a series of surveys on the subject shows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/global-dissatisfaction-with-democracy-at-a-record-high-research-says.htm

Is it, one wonders, time to consider the merits of true "global governance" and accept a New World Order political leaders have been pushing since US President George W. H. Bush coined the phrase in the Nineties?

At first sight, the United Nations would seem an obvious candidate for the first World Government. But in its present form - dominated by a handful of major powers and in hock to the corporate sector which provides much of its funding - it is clearly not fit for purpose. 

Might it not be more productive to ditch political systems altogether and replace global and national rule with management by a Technocracy of non-aligned econonomists,  scientists and other experts?

Some even see merit in the economically hugely successful Chinese model, with its emphasis on security over individual freedom, and a social credit system which offers financial and other incentives for good behavior and punishes anti-social conduct.

As Britain gears up for tomorrow's Brexit celebrations, there could be a brave new world out there!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chilli42 said:

When is the government going to stop being indecisive.  Time to follow the international community and ban all flights from China.  They always wait until things are out of control before they act.

For the powers that be money more inportant tan the life of the peasants under them.

I agree, ban the Chinese from all countries, but doubt that will happen here, especially considering how much tourism  is affected already.. don't worry..carry on and just spend!

34 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

the more we learn as time passes, the lower the mortality rate seems to dip. 

Youd better hope so, it could as easily mutate to the downside too. Its currently x4 less deadly per case than SARS but also 6x as contagious and much more chance of mutating to 

The more infected the more mutation opportunities. The incubation period is also x4 that of SARS and can go undetected yet still infect.. China is losing billions a day and the measures taken unprecedented, its not for fun,  some people  just dont understand the implications. 

Id add a link but itll only get deleted... superb breakdown for clearer understanding... even a 1st grade student can follow it. 

Managed to find just the english language bits ytube "Dr Gabriel Leung Dean of Medicine dire projection" titles a bit OTT but the talk and slides are excellent, youll learn something i promise

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The endless, impotent shilly-shallying over issues such as climate change, refugee crises and pandemic outbreaks begs a serious question. . . 

Isn't there a better way to run the planet than the via the present mish-mash of flawed political systems, all designed to serve national rather than global interests?

Three most definitely is, and if it wasn't for all the humans involved , we would have had it by now. 

In a pet shop there is a reason that all the fish are not in the same fish tank, (same system) because if one tank gets infected all the fish die. I use to be an Internationalist, until I came to a similar realisation. Different countries serve a similar purpose, If one political system is infected, the infection is contained within that or it's neighboring systems. A global governing system will result in global domination by powerful special interests .  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was staying near Soi Rangangnam where there is a King Power.

KP literally buses in hundreds of Chinese tourist into Rangnam.

There were many Chinese tourist that would cough or sneeze without covering their mouth and some would yell at the top of their lungs while talking on the phone or even to someone that was relatively close to them.  Spit flying ever where and many of them didn't care or have a clue.  And they wonder how the coronavirus is spreading so fast...I'm sure the virus is already in Thailand.

Image result for chinese sneezing  

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

The figure is zero. I doubt any conclusions can be drawn though because the number of infected outside of China is extremely small.

According to my wife they on the thai television news today had a report that one man in Chinag May had died because of Corona-virus. ationality I do not know.

6 hours ago, rtco said:

The advice is that masks are next to useless

The N95 is the most protective but the regular 2.5 masks offer some protection and are better than nothing. They can protect those with a virus from spreading it by  coughing/snezzing on others. Also if someone coughs the droplets are not landing directly in your nasil passages mouth. Sure not 100 percent effective as hazmat suit but be real we can't walk around like that so offers some protection. Persons are advised to wash hands frequently , use alcohol/germacide hand sprays , stay away from infected  people, eat healthy, get rest to keep immune system strong.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2231535-can-an-n95-face-mask-protect-you-from-catching-the-new-coronavirus/

Was in Terminal 21 Pattaya yesterday none of the Pharmacies/Boots/Watsons had alcohol hand sprays or masks, had to go to Harbour Mall ,Chonburi or Long Po pharmcies in Banglamung to get masks and alcohol sprays.

3 hours ago, chilli42 said:

When is the government going to stop being indecisive.  Time to follow the international community and ban all flights from China.  They always wait until things are out of control before they act.

"Time to follow the international community and ban all flights from China"

Can you tell me which international communities have banned all flights from China? There are airlines suspending flights to and from China, but that's not the same thing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The N95 is the most protective but the regular 2.5 masks offer some protection and are better than nothing. They can protect those with a virus from spreading it by  coughing/snezzing on others. Also if someone coughs the droplets are not landing directly in your nasil passages mouth. Sure not 100 percent effective as hazmat suit but be real we can't walk around like that so offers some protection. Persons are advised to wash hands frequently , use alcohol/germacide hand sprays , stay away from infected  people, eat healthy, get rest to keep immune system strong.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2231535-can-an-n95-face-mask-protect-you-from-catching-the-new-coronavirus/

Was in Terminal 21 Pattaya yesterday none of the Pharmacies/Boots/Watsons had alcohol hand sprays or masks, had to go to Harbour Mall ,Chonburi or Long Po pharmcies in Banglamung to get masks and alcohol sprays.

Why don't you just sit down on your sofa,open a cold beer and watch a good movie? When you've finished your six-pack, send out your wife/gf for more beer and some fried chicken. 

• Haha 1