Divorce and new Non Imm O Visa

Hi All,

Separated from my wife for nearly 11 years but we never got divorced for our childs sake. I'm in a new relationship for nearly 10 years and we want to legalize our partnership, especially as I've raised my stepdaughter over those 10 years so I also want to legalize my status with her. 

Wife is ok with coming to the Amphur and signing our divorce etc contest free, can be done in a day. However I've been getting a Non Imm O for the last 10 years based on that relationship. If we divorce and I remarry almost immediately will I have a problem with Immigration? Or the Embassy where I normally get my Non Imm O? How do they view this type of situation, does anyone know?

Thanks very much in advance.

Getting a visa from a consulate or a stay permit from immigration based on the new marriage shouldn’t be a problem. Just make sure they don’t know you’ve been separated from the ex for 10 years and been getting a visa under false pretences.

so you got yourself a new Non-Imm-O visa  based on marriage, without any proof of finances  outside of Thailand, year after year for 10 years.  You avoided an Extension of Stay out of this visa, as it would have meant - besides the finances aspect - that immigration pays a yearly visit to your home to check if the wife and you still live happily together, which will be made within 3-4 weeks during the "under consideration" period after an application for a 1-year Extension of Stay based on marriage) 

I side with El Viajero on the pretense, you can get the divorce into gear and documented, and afterwards marry the not so new acquaintance, I do not see any hindrances so far. However the advice is, never mention that you have lived a life separate from your married one for over 10 years and picked up a new Non-Imm-O year after year, under a false claim.  No one ever checked or visited you and the wife, so everything is just fine as long as you don't blow the whistle on yourself

Edited by crazygreg44

6 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

so you got yourself a new Non-Imm-O visa  based on marriage, without any proof of finances  outside of Thailand, year after year for 10 years.  You avoided an Extension of Stay out of this visa, as it would have meant - besides the finances aspect - that immigration pays a yearly visit to your home to check if the wife and you still live happily together, which will be made within 3-4 weeks during the "under consideration" period after an application for a 1-year Extension of Stay based on marriage) 

I side with El Viajero on the pretense, you can get the divorce into gear and documented, and afterwards marry the not so new acquaintance, I do not see any hindrances so far. However the advice is, never mention that you have lived a life separate from your married one for over 10 years and picked up a new Non-Imm-O year after year, under a false claim.  No one ever checked or visited you and the wife, so everything is just fine as long as you don't blow the whistle on yourself

I agree with everything you wrote about there being no problem as long as the OP does not out himself. I would also add that, as he was maintaining a relationship with his child, and also providing support to his girlfriend's daughter over that period, his actions were morally perfectly defensible, albeit fraudulent. Likely, he could have achieved a Non O visa to visit his child, but the marriage visa was easier.

• Like 1