paying electricity bill in Tesco with(out) THAI ID card ?

2020, you might think that with technology, things/people will get better?

Just went to Tesco to try to pay my electrical bill as I always do, in cash

NO CAN, person gets someone who speaks some English ...

passport ... 

why would I bring my passport on a walk to tesco to pay a bill ?

In the post office, they accept my scanned passport on my phone...

no OK

what ?

need original ...

wait, I see they point to a machine ...I say, my passport will not be fit in that...

so apparently, now you need a THAI ID card, and if you don't have, you cannot pay your bills

what a retarded country we live in ...

what is next ?  your passport to buy a carton of eggs ?

Edited by justin case
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:38 PM, FritsSikkink said:

You are at least the third person to start a topic on this

Not everyone ( especially those with full lives) would know this. Ever think of that? Anyways it’s a great topic to bring up and if the electric and other companies benefit by this service and the stores who accept the payments benefit with a collected fee. The question really is who would come up with such a stupid rule?  Can you be HELPFUL and answer that?  Or just snarky as usual? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Not everyone ( especially those with full lives) would know this. Ever think of that? Anyways it’s a great topic to bring up and if the electric and other companies benefit by this service and the stores who accept the payments benefit with a collected fee. The question really is who would come up with such a stupid rule?  Can you be HELPFUL and answer that?  Or just snarky as usual? 

If you have a full live I assume you have a bank account, do either online banking or pay by ATM, it isn't that difficult.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 11:07 AM, justin case said:

2020, you might think that with technology, things/people will get better?

Things get ever better. I like the new things. 

But, no, the people are just the same or worse. Still can't figure out anything or have the same old comprehension problems. For example, Tesco said your original passport would work fine as an acceptable ID. Conclusion: 

so apparently, now you need a THAI ID card, and if you don't have, you cannot pay your bills

????

• Like 1

what a retarded country we live in ...

You'll have heard of Thailand 4.0 I presume. Part of that plan is to create a digitally integrated and paperless society, just is is happening in modern western countries.

Before too long there will be no more paper bills. They will arrive digitally to PC or mobile device and the canny 21st century Thais will simply pay their bills using their ID card and QR code or similar. No more paper, all very convenient.

Oh yes, let's not forget that there are 2 million, or so foreigners in the country who don't have ID cards. No problem they're a smart lot, they'll soon realize that there are alternative ways to pay.

Well, most of them are smart.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Things get ever better. I like the new things. 

But, no, the people are just the same or worse. Still can't figure out anything or have the same old comprehension problems. For example, Tesco said your original passport would work fine as an acceptable ID. Conclusion: 

????

they first said passport, than pointed to the THAI ID CARD READER ...

doubt there is a passport scanner like at the airport

pay in cash with no hassle, or needing to bring a THAI ID CARD, for thais only ...

why would/should/need I have to pay electronically if it was ok to be in cash for decades...

like things difficult or easy ?

government / companies have to spy on you even more ? terrorist paying his electrical bill or something ?  next, need to take a PHOTO while paying ?   info send to police / government ?

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

what a retarded country we live in ...

Might try blaming the company not the country.

Definitely country.

This silliness is all part of the money laundering control brought in by the government.

I'm sure it will all get sorted eventually line True Money was.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You do know it's 2020,and you still haven't worked out how to use modern technology like internet/mobile banking? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Definitely country.

This silliness is all part of the money laundering control brought in by the government.

Then you should blame the US. The most paranoid country in the world when it comes to money laundering.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, justin case said:

they first said passport, than pointed to the THAI ID CARD READER ...

doubt there is a passport scanner like at the airport

pay in cash with no hassle, or needing to bring a THAI ID CARD, for thais only ...

why would/should/need I have to pay electronically if it was ok to be in cash for decades...

like things difficult or easy ?

government / companies have to spy on you even more ? terrorist paying his electrical bill or something ?  next, need to take a PHOTO while paying ?   info send to police / government ?

"2020, you might think that with technology, things/people will get better?"

When will you get better? Maybe you should take a step into the modern world instead of paying bills in cash. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe you should take a step into the modern world instead of paying bills in cash. 

Lol there's nothing wrong with paying a bill in cash - in fact I find it super convenient to do just that when picking up a few items at 7-Eleven.

I tried to use my banks online app to pay an electric bill. It insists that I scan the barcode on the bill, tried 100 times but it just won't read it so stick to paying in cash. For some reason I never have much luck with Thai apps.

Edited by SteveK
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Definitely country.

Where is the link saying the government brought this practice in and forced Tesco to adopt it?

13 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

Where is the link saying the government brought this practice in and forced Tesco to adopt it?

Find that for yourself....don’t expect others to do the leg work for you.

The fact is that it has been introduced for everyone, with the requirement being a Thai ID card as evidence of identity. My missus was declined this morning because she hadn’t got her ID card with her.

The issue comes with Farangs where it appears that specific alternatives have not been advised.

49 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"2020, you might think that with technology, things/people will get better?"

When will you get better? Maybe you should take a step into the modern world instead of paying bills in cash. 

I must have missed the memo about using cash being illegal.