paying electricity bill in Tesco with(out) THAI ID card ?

56 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Find that for yourself....don’t expect others to do the leg work for you.

The fact is that it has been introduced for everyone, with the requirement being a Thai ID card as evidence of identity. My missus was declined this morning because she hadn’t got her ID card with her.

The issue comes with Farangs where it appears that specific alternatives have not been advised.

Then there is no link only conjecture, try stating facts instead of unproven rumors.

17 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Though I must admit it hasn't affected me yet in paying electricity, water and internet bills at 7/11. The staff usually enter some sort of code on the ID scanner which seems to bypass the ID number requirement.

Exactly my experience so far, no problem paying bills at 7-Eleven no ID request. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

Then there is no link only conjecture, try stating facts instead of unproven rumors.

Try reading what I wrote, or is comprehension difficult for you.

It is fact, and my missus being declined is evidence of that.

If you know anyone who is Thai ask them to how you.....plenty of Thai reporting about the changes.

48 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Try reading what I wrote, or is comprehension difficult for you.

It is fact, and my missus being declined is evidence of that.

If you know anyone who is Thai ask them to how you.....plenty of Thai reporting about the changes.

Maybe it is your comprehension that needs some work as you seem to have misunderstood my original post. Yes your wife being declined is evidence that an ID is required while paying bills at Tesco, but there is no evidence to suggest the government is behind this upgrade. Let’s just agree to disagree ????

Edited by Mbaki

6 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

That’s right, if it was a government initiative then all retail outlets where you can pay your bills would be affected.

In one of the other threads members have reported that their local Seven has refused payment without ID. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:07 AM, justin case said:

what a retarded country we live in

nice mouth on you... if you really feel that way... well, you know the answer... maybe best to live somewhere w/other name callers as un-retarded as yourself. All for what, at most, is a hiccup in the day... 

if you walk around feeling, talking and thinking that way... you are not going to be well liked and next thing you know you will be posting about an angry wife, angry people and having no understanding of why... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

How do I pay my electric using internet banking ?

Banking Apps have multiple ways to pay...

For Example: Kasikorn Bank you can either scan the QR code on the bill (wait about 24 hours after meter is first read or it will not be in system) and pat direct

Or you can set up a billpay using your account number on your bill and the vendor being your electric company

I pay everything via my banking app...never have to leave my chair

18 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you have a full live I assume you have a bank account, do either online banking or pay by ATM, it isn't that difficult.

I have an account at Bangkok Bank and was formerly successful paying my TOT bill online. I changed to CAT and True Vision and found that it WAS difficult. 

When I tried to add either one as a payee each one had multiple possible payees, all starting with CAT or True Vision. Which to choose? 

I went to the bank with both bills  and they couldn't help me pick one. <deleted>! 

I was told that I could try them all because when I entered REF#1 & #2 from the bill only the correct one would accept the payment. I don't necessarily believe them but either way I have to spend an hour or more hunting Easter eggs on lousy web sites. Ditto for the PEA site. I refuse to put multiple apps on my phone to pay bills. Just more exposure if I ever lose my phone. 

So until I have some 'Thaime' to waste I'll pay cash at 7. I ran into the Thai ID thing there too but was told I could use a copy of my passport. My GF used her ID so I haven't tested his claim yet. But yes, she had to slide her card in to pay the bill. As usual here your experience may vary depending on where you go and who you talk to. 

Here and everywhere these things always amount to government tracking and data collection that is then monetized by selling to third parties. This trend will not ease or reverse in the future. 

Each country considers its citizens simply sheep for the shearing. Wait until they want meat as well as wool. ????

And always remember that these things are only for our own protection. ????

37 minutes ago, tonray said:

Banking Apps have multiple ways to pay...

For Example: Kasikorn Bank you can either scan the QR code on the bill (wait about 24 hours after meter is first read or it will not be in system) and pat direct

Or you can set up a billpay using your account number on your bill and the vendor being your electric company

I pay everything via my banking app...never have to leave my chair

Am not interested in Apps or mobile banking.

PEA does not appear in vendor list with either of my banks so not sure how internet banking can be done.

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I have an account at Bangkok Bank and was formerly successful paying my TOT bill online. I changed to CAT and True Vision and found that it WAS difficult. 

When I tried to add either one as a payee each one had multiple possible payees, all starting with CAT or True Vision. Which to choose? 

I went to the bank with both bills  and they couldn't help me pick one. <deleted>! 

I was told that I could try them all because when I entered REF#1 & #2 from the bill only the correct one would accept the payment. I don't necessarily believe them but either way I have to spend an hour or more hunting Easter eggs on lousy web sites. Ditto for the PEA site. I refuse to put multiple apps on my phone to pay bills. Just more exposure if I ever lose my phone. 

So until I have some 'Thaime' to waste I'll pay cash at 7. I ran into the Thai ID thing there too but was told I could use a copy of my passport. My GF used her ID so I haven't tested his claim yet. But yes, she had to slide her card in to pay the bill. As usual here your experience may vary depending on where you go and who you talk to. 

Here and everywhere these things always amount to government tracking and data collection that is then monetized by selling to third parties. This trend will not ease or reverse in the future. 

Each country considers its citizens simply sheep for the shearing. Wait until they want meat as well as wool. ????

Call CAT / Truevision, they should know, the bank has nothing to do with it.

Just now, Max69xl said:

There are 20,000+ 7/11 in Thailand. How many Tesco Lotus? You don't seem very keen on changes. Try to be a bit open-minded. 

Dont worry yourself about my capacity to  pay my bill's, been doing it for years at the 7-11 or online when that option is available.

12 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I doubt the company would be doing this without the country saying it has to. So I’m with him..... retarded!

Why would the Thai government order Tesco Lotus to refuse foreigners to pay their bills using a passport? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Call CAT / Truevision, they should know, the bank has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, but when then bank supplies a list of payees and allows you to search it they should know something about it. Site users are not allowed to add to that list; the bank is in control.

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

There are 2 True to chose from on Bangkok Banks Pay Bill 'search payee'-list.

Both have a Ref.1. It's exactly like Bangkok Bank told you. When your bill is released and you enter your Ref.1 number from your bill, if you chosed the correct payee and your Ref.1 number was accepted the amount will automatically show up on next screen. If not (and the entered Ref.1 was correct and the bill was released) try the other True on the payee list. If the bill wasn't released but your Ref.1 was accepted, that will be displayed on  next screen. If the Ref. 1 is not accepted in either of the both True in the 'search payee'-list, then you might need to talk to True customer service. Nothing will happen if you chose wrong payee and enter your Ref.1 number. Your number won't be accepted,that's all. It's exactly same if you search for CAT in the 'search payee' list. If you scroll down you'll find one CAT Telecom. Just enter your Ref.number and Package and hit Next and see what happens. It will either work or not, nothing in between. If it works you can save the payee and next time click on Favourite under Pay Bill.

One comment on what you wrote about more exposure when having many apps in your phone. The amount of apps has nothing to do with security or exposure. It has to do with your log in and type of screen lock. Modern smart phones uses fingerprint and/or graphic pattern,and that's safe (unless you use Z as a pattern). IF you, like 99,9% of the thai girls/women uses the swipe-method to unlock your screen, THEN you're exposed for sure. 

Screenshot_20200202-130832.png

Screenshot_20200202-133903.png

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Sorry, but when then bank supplies a list of payees and allows you to search it they should know something about it. Site users are not allowed to add to that list; the bank is in control.

The bank adds the numbers but is not responsible where the numbers are used for. The vendor should give you that info.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

In one of the other threads members have reported that their local Seven has refused payment without ID. 

Thats correct he was a friend of mine

However saying that i went into a different 7/11 with a lecky bill they typed something in i pressed the green button on the machine thingy bill paid no ID needed

Go figure that out

• Like 1

Paying our bill my wife had forgotten her I.D. card,  but the girl said she can bypass the system , so it can be done.

When we asked why  she had to show I.D.    the girl  read from a piece of paper, "Stop money laundry" !! lol