WHO praises Thailand’s efforts to combat PM2.5

rooster59

The WHO praising Thailand, that must be a bummer for all the cynics here! lol.

It will take some time but no doubt Thailand will tackle the airpolution problem just like they handled the plastic bag problem. 2020 year of no more plastic bags at many shops, unbelievable, thumbs up, something no other western country did or can achieve.

Until than, if airpolution is of so much concern to you, consider buying a bicycle, using public transport, reducong airtravel, in other words, take resposibility, dont demand a Nanny State.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

BANGKOK(NNT) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has commended Thailand on its efforts to address high levels of particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less (PM2.5), while suggesting the country adopt its air quality guidelines.

W.H.O is now officially off my Xmas card list... 

• Like 1

Don’t you guys get tired of doing nothing but moan and whinge and complain all the time? If you are unhappy about the air quality, do something about it yourself. Don’t always depend on the government to do it for you. This is Thailand, not your home country. 

Buy air purifiers. Seal your house. Move somewhere where the air is cleaner. But no, moaning is so much more fun and feeds your superiority complex. Sad really. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dr. Lesley Onyon, a WHO representative, said today that Thailand has shown its commitment to raising awareness and providing information about the PM2.5 issue to the public.

I'd kinda like to know what the good doctor REALLY said... instead of the sanitized, spin-ized Thai NNT government press release version of it.

I'm guessing, the WHO rep called on Thailand to drop its current 50 micrograms of PM2.5 health standard and instead adopt the WHO's 25 micrograms standard or something closer to it -- which of course, the government here is not willing to commit to.

She appears to be based in India, and in looking at her Twitter feed going back a couple months, I can't find any tweets where she even mentions Thailand at all!  But she does seem to be very blunt in criticizing India authorities for their failure to address their air pollution problems that are worse than Thailand's.

https://twitter.com/ljonyon

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

All this has done is destroy the credibility of the WHO.

What exactly has Thailand actually done about air quality?

Remember, the OP you're reading here is the government's PR news release version of things.... not what the WHO rep actually, directly said, and probably not the main thrust of whatever message she gave to the Thai government. 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The credibility of WHO is starting to be suspect. Also with the coronavirus. Obviously the org is starting to get too political.

Keep in mind they really didn't say anything and it was a bit of backhanded slap.

"Dr. Lesley Onyon, a WHO representative, said today that Thailand has shown its commitment to raising awareness and providing information about the PM2.5 issue to the public."

They just said that they have done a showing commitment and raising awareness, which they created an App...that already existed...the rest Thailand made up.

Then Thailand go on the admit that...

"According to Thai standards, the safe level of PM2.5 is 50 micrograms per cubic meter of air, but the WHO air quality guidelines say that PM2.5 exposure during any 24-hour period should not exceed 25 micrograms per cubic meter."

I know whose standards I'd trust.

Thailand really is struggling on so many levels. The convenience of the virus is so good for Thailand. It gives the a year of blame to cover the valueless craphole Thailand has become for tourism.

52 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

If you are unhappy about the air quality, do something about it yourself.

Like what? Seal up the house and never go out? Get your Thai wife to move away from the extended family? Good luck with that.

It's not unreasonable to expect a government (even one such as this) to do something when the air is this bad. A ban on farmers burning their garbage would be a good start. But as usual, the Thai way of dealing with things is to ignore it and hope that it sorts itself out, rather than risk upsetting someone or losing face. And then pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Edited by SteveK

3 hours ago, justin case said:

say what ? praise ? <deleted>...

is WHO some private thai company suddenly ? whores & hookers organisation ?

My post of the day award!!!   :clap2:

PS - from the same people who brought us "no need to disrupt/ban travel between China and other countries" -- right as numerous countries including the U.S. and Australia and others are doing just that...

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dr. Lesley Onyon, a WHO representative, said today that Thailand has shown its commitment to raising awareness and providing information about the PM2.5 issue to the public.

She did?  Wow, fake news while WHO is too busy to notice. 

image.png.7eda7205cd2eaa2052e9b2185c3eccff.png

• Like 1

I didn't think much about the WHO until now, I must thank them for stepping out and giving me a cue.

PS

I went and found the source for this info, here's the original interview: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/videos/465150497486875/

And here's the curated version with the first 20 seconds matching the headline of this post

Edited by yokat
  • Like 1

So far there have been only meaningless discussions, congratulate the Thai government on this?
WHO where do you get your information from?
For two weeks I have been monitoring the situation daily, 6am and 6pm,
in the morning the numbers are largely double those of the evening, in the past two weeks the lowest value 63, the highest this morning 02.02 175.
Unfortunately, I don't see any improvement!
A question to all of you, have you ever wondered how much dirt emanates from the chimneys of the numerous That temples? As far as I know, not one of these temples has installed a filter and, for the week, they certainly burn several bodies!
Let's add temples to the list of improvements to make!

This is a joke, right? Raising awareness (and even in there government is reactive, not proactive) doesn't even scratch the surface of addressing this problem. Installing some bogus air cleaners, which are as effective as putting your aircon on balcony and keeping the door open, are mostly just a PR stunt of "doing something" while measurement of AQI of 176 near the "miracle air cleaners" shows just how effective they really are. Admittedly, this is a problem technology alone cannot address. Enforcing existing laws could. There are 100s of fires in Thailand right now, causing the choking pollution to 20-30 million people right now. How many people have been arrested for starting them? None that we know of. Farmers even openly challenge police to arrest them all,

Why not send a message? Either arrest them all to show you're serious, or send a firefighting plane with that fire retardant and dump it on all fires? Yes, it would destroy all their crops, but maybe then they would get the message?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I wish the WHO would outline what those efforts are, because I haven’t seen any. 

Thailand has an incredible moment in this crisis to show how responsible it is, how deserved it is to be a premier tourist destination. Should Thailand continue to show competence in handling this virus, it will come out in the end of all this able to command an even higher level of respect as a world class travel destination. IMO the numbers look good right now. 19 infected, 5 successfully treated and released, the remainder being successfully treated and no deaths. Well done Thailand, considering Thailand is one of the primary and closest destination for the affected (Chinese). 

48 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Thailand has an incredible moment in this crisis to show how responsible it is, how deserved it is to be a premier tourist destination. 

They have indeed shown that already. Maibpenrai, Chinese are allowed to come and go as they please. Thailand deserves 0 tourists.

Edited by DrTuner

Yes, well. I'm not sure they deserve recognition for the way they've handled the PM2.5 problem. It's my view that it's their incompetence which has allowed it to gain much more traction than it should have had, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

I think the WHO needs a new pair of specs, you don't pat Thais on the back for getting things wrong, it's just not a good idea.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

Nothing will change unless the police start going after the people burning stuff. Just yesterday, the police in Hua Hin just casually drove by while a couple of people were stocking a big fire right next to the road (on public land), blanketing the surrounding area in smoke and endangering everyone driving by.

I see fires like this everyday and all doors and windows have to be closed pretty much 24/7 if you don't want the entire house to stink.