False positive on Breathalyzer check

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Rigged breathalyzer and cops looking for a pay day. 

Yes of course, in OZ when you get tested positive they will take you to the cop shop

and test you with a more sophisticated instrument. If you fail again you lose your

license and go to court. And no, I am not talking from experience I have not have

a ticket for anything since I moved to OZ (including parking or speeding) And yes

I live here nearly 40 years.

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The OP wasn't breathalyzed in the context we are accustomed to in our home countries. The cop working the traffic stops has the wand type alcohol detector which should not turn red as he described so I reckon it's a duff wand before I would call a scam. Especially since they didn't persist and rolled over on the stop.

Even if the OP had some alcohol on his breath, that wand detector is only an indication of alcohol presence and not how much and he would have been asked to park up and do the full blow on the calibrated, desk top tester that is typically operated by a more senior officer. If that is below the magic number, you're on your way. If it's over, it's time to check if you have your ATM card with you or, failing that, phone a friend.

If there wasn't a road-side secondary testing table set up nearby, then it may well have been some of the more dodgy cops on the take with a flaky tester. Only the OP can tell if this traffic stop was at a regular traffic stop location or a one-off, out of the way stop.

There was just the wand they never pulled out a tester that would give a number. I blew into the wand it came back red then they said pull the car to the side. I told them I came from big C I have groceries in the back and have not had anything to drink. They pulled out the wand again said try again it came back as red. Then my girlfriend started to get on them that I have not had anything to drink. He then said fine and said you can go. As far as I could see there was no table setup to do further check. But there was a long line of cars and numerous people in front of me were also being flagged to the side of the road and questioned like me.

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal
  • Haha 1

Most likely a scam attempt, old one from the book too. Be happy they didn't find a bullet or drugs instead. Welcome to Thailand again 555.
(Or did you eat some thai fruit, that small one, I once heard it makes you test positive for alcohol hehe)

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

There was just the wand they never pulled out a tester that would give a number. I blew into the wand it came back red then they said pull the car to the side. I told them I came from big C I have groceries in the back and have not had anything to drink. They pulled out the wand again said try again it came back as red. Then my girlfriend started to get on them that I have not had anything to drink. He then said fine and said you can go. As far as I could see there was no table setup to do further check. But there was a long line of cars and numerous people in front of me were also being flagged to the side of the road and questioned like me.

Strange the cop didn't try a different wand

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange the cop didn't try a different wand

Its got to be a scam because when the GF and me started giving them a lot of lip they were like oh you can go. Thing is I hardly ever drink at all it has been months since I have even had a beer. Then being accused of driving drunk. Whatever TIT!

• Thanks 1

I'd be telling them I want a blood test, which is far more accurate than any breathalyzer. I don't know if any Thai police station has that capability.

Or asking for another unit to be used, although they may have rigged all of them.

Bear in mind other organics than alcohol will give a false positive, such as sucking on a menthol lolly or a Fisherman's Friend.

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd be telling them I want a blood test, which is far more accurate than any breathalyzer. I don't know if any Thai police station has that capability.

Or asking for another unit to be used, although they may have rigged all of them.

Bear in mind other organics than alcohol will give a false positive, such as sucking on a menthol lolly or a Fisherman's Friend.

No joke I had a fisherman friend about 3 hours before.  But that is a long time. 

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do police station outside of Thailand have that capability... In Aus I believe they take you to the hospital.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

So I live in Northern Thailand and there was a DUI checkpoint. I blow into the breathalyzer and the red light comes on saying that I test positive for alcohol.

I was on my way back from Big C shopping and have not drank alcohol at all today.  What is going on here?

Not surprised if you check what day we have on the calendar. Beginning of the month, everyone had their payday and now the police are looking for theirs. Happens every. single. month. in vast parts of the country.

Also not surprised to have them let you go. They have a thousand others to try to get money from and don't want to waste their time with you because they know it'll lead to nowhere and they could fine a lot of others in the meantime. Simple revenue calculation.

7 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

So your saying because I stood my ground with them and had my girlfriend and I giving them a hard time they are just like lets find a easier target?

Yes.

During the first days of the month they set up checkpoints to fleece people. Why at this time? Because people are more likely to actually have money as they just got their salaries. And the strategy that nets them the most is by checking as many people as they can because they can many times find something (even if fake) and most people wont try to fight back. So if you make a stink and waste their time, that means lost revenue for them. Better let you go and keep on trying the next guy.

For DUI offences you have a good time proving your innocence via a check at the hospital and they know that too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

What I think would be funny is have your own breathalyzer in the car. You can buy them online so when they test you with their rigged tester say my tester says I am good!  

What would be funny is to have a balloon filled with clean air, or maybe that clean air in a can that is used for dusting cameras and other delicate stuff.  Put that through their breathalyzer and see if it registers.

17 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

What would be funny is to have a balloon filled with clean air, or maybe that clean air in a can that is used for dusting cameras and other delicate stuff.  Put that through their breathalyzer and see if it registers.

But if no "canned" clean air, where oh where would you have to travel to in order to fill the balloon with clean air? It could be quite a trip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If what you say is true, then it's clearly a scam. INSIST on going to the police station for a blood test!!! If you refuse the breath test they will insist on the blood test, so just expedite things and go right to the gold standard blood test!

• Thanks 1