False positive on Breathalyzer check

On 2/2/2020 at 3:16 AM, Kwasaki said:

Rigged breathalyzer and cops looking for a pay day. 

If this is correct, what's the natonal cop doing about things like this?

IMHO he's done nothing at all of note in terms of reducing corrution and inappropriate actions and beheviors of the police. Plus on many occasions when something serious nationally comes to the fore he makes no comment at all.

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Do police station outside of Thailand have that capability... In Aus I believe they take you to the hospital.

Where I live in Isaarn they take you to the hospital for failing drug or alcohol roadside tests, after wasting half your day at the police station.

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If this is correct, what's the natonal cop doing about things like this?

IMHO he's done nothing at all of note in terms of reducing corrution and inappropriate actions and beheviors of the police. Plus on many occasions when something serious nationally comes to the fore he makes no comment at all.

You are absolutely right but they are not interested in reducing crime and corruption. That is what feeds the monster.

They merely want to give the appearance that they are doing something about it, which is as usual, all hot air and zero action.

Whatever new regulations or laws get introduced into this country, it is just a smokescreen for further corruption by the police.

They sit at Immigration offices refusing to do their job regarding retirement extensions or whatever until they have received a sweetener. These roadside tests are done with cheap, unreliable, inaccurate equipment. They stop you for speeding without a speed gun only their naked eye, they fine you for TM30s when it is the responsibility of the Thai landlords, it is all scam, scam and more scam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:27 PM, crazygreg44 said:

rigged breathalyzers ?  

How far have we come ?

We have come as far as a poster here making such a claim with no proof to back it up and you believing them based on no proof. We have come that far.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You are absolutely right but they are not interested in reducing crime and corruption. That is what feeds the monster.

They merely want to give the appearance that they are doing something about it, which is as usual, all hot air and zero action.

Whatever new regulations or laws get introduced into this country, it is just a smokescreen for further corruption by the police.

They sit at Immigration offices refusing to do their job regarding retirement extensions or whatever until they have received a sweetener. These roadside tests are done with cheap, unreliable, inaccurate equipment. They stop you for speeding without a speed gun only their naked eye, they fine you for TM30s when it is the responsibility of the Thai landlords, it is all scam, scam and more scam.

I have lived here for about 10 years and I think I am done with Thailand. Sad because I really used to like this place but it just feels like it is going in the wrong direction. Taking the soon to be wife with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just from a process point of view I thought there were two limits. One for people with 2 year licences and one for people with 5 year licences, so without a more calibrated test and inspection of your licence they should not be able to pronounce you DUI. The “wand” I think just indicates that there may be alhohol on your breath, and not the level. Just an observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are 2 steps and 2 kits that they use . First one detects  any presence of alcohol, usually just an indicator and highly likely not accurate . But if you test positive, usually you are taken to the second one, which reads alcohol levels and more accurate .

with the first one, from my understanding it will show positive even if you used mouthwash 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Where I live in Isaarn they take you to the hospital for failing drug or alcohol roadside tests, after wasting half your day at the police station.

hahahahaha, by the time you have the blood taken your blood alcohol would have (hopefully)  drooped to a legal level !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

There are 2 steps and 2 kits that they use . First one detects  any presence of alcohol, usually just an indicator and highly likely not accurate . But if you test positive, usually you are taken to the second one, which reads alcohol levels and more accurate .

with the first one, from my understanding it will show positive even if you used mouthwash 

Mouthwash such as Listerene contains alcohol.

Also do they allow 1, 2 or 3 drinks in the 1st hour etc as they do back in Australia or 1 drink and you're off to the cop shop?

Another concern is the calibration of this test equipment.

This test equipment should be tested annually and a certificate showing this information.

57 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

We have come as far as a poster here making such a claim with no proof to back it up and you believing them based on no proof. We have come that far.

A whisky-soaked cotton bud in plod's hand is just one example I can think of; or indeed an innocent(?) application of alcohol-based hand sanitizer as they hand the appliance to unsuspecting motorists & ask them to blow...

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I know on one of the islands recently they arrested a group of 30 Thai youths at a party for failing drugs tests. Once it had all been checked again at a hospital there were either six or eight that were actually positive.

I am not saying rigged equipment more like using cheaply bought  equipment not fit for purpose

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

If this is correct, what's the national cop doing about things like this?

They look after their own, also many people don't mind the odd 200-400 bht instead of police station visits making it a record.

• Like 1

Evening all.  Apparently keying the radio transmitter as the breath sample was taken would produce a false positive on portable electronic breath analysers used in the late 80's.  Of course the real machine at the station would show clear.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They look after their own, also many people don't mind the odd 200-400 bht instead of police station visits making it a record.

Obviously this is Thailand and you have calculate if something is worth making a big deal about or not. But the fact that people just give in and pay compounds this problem. If people had some backbone these situations might be reduced. 

8 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Obviously this is Thailand and you have calculate if something is worth making a big deal about or not. But the fact that people just give in and pay compounds this problem. If people had some backbone these situations might be reduced. 

Don't think backbone has much to do with it, a laugh and a joke 2 or 300 bht saying that's all you have and your on your way.

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes but the second test is at the cop shop and if you are still miles over they make

you taking a blood test at the hospital.

So the blood test is not at the cop shop.... thanks for answering my question.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't think backbone has much to do with it, a laugh and a joke 2 or 300 bht saying that's all you have and your on your way.

If you are like me and have a Thai drivers license current vehicle registration and you have not been drinking or done anything wrong then paying a bribe is just encouraging the cycle of police corruption.

They prey on the fact that most people are scared of the police and just choose to pay. It's your life you can do what you want I just think it encourages them to continue this practice. This situation is not always black and white you obviously don't want to be hauled off in handcuffs for doing nothing but I would try to hold your ground and not just hand over money.

I have lived here a long time about 10 years. I thought I would be a lifer but I feel like Thailand has been moving in the wrong direction with a lot of things. I will be leaving soon with the soon to be wife. There are better places and better opportunities for me elsewhere. 

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was a tube type then alcometre is likely cheap end and/or many years old.   The more modern ones just require counting to 10, and then a follow up with a tube if there is a positive reading.   They auto expel the old air after each use so it does not impact on the reading of the next person.   They should be calibrated monthly, but hard to imagine that happens here.  Also possible that tubes a re-used.

probably was legit that the machine thought you were over, but it's a useless piece of <deleted> and the cop holding it knows that.  If he had faith in it, he would not have backed down when you stood your ground (until he was compensated to do so anyway).

equally scary that the state of the equipment probably leads to plenty of false negatives.

3 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

If you are like me and have a Thai drivers license current vehicle registration and you have not been drinking or done anything wrong then paying a bribe is just encouraging the cycle of police corruption.

This thread is another reminder to install dashcams if anyone still hasn't done so, along with a body worn version for continuity.

48 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Or just dont drive drunken. 

Or just stay home in your cosy nanny country. 

Or pay the bribe. 

If the message went that far over your head you have been better simply ignoring it ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I have lived here a long time about 10 years. I thought I would be a lifer but I feel like Thailand has been moving in the wrong direction with a lot of things. I will be leaving soon with the soon to be wife. There are better places and better opportunities for me elsewhere

Sorry you feel like that I don't, not everyone same, if I were younger maybe I would say you are right but honestly just asking police do you speak English when I'm stopped is enough for them to wave me on. ????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

A whisky-soaked cotton bud in plod's hand is just one example I can think of; or indeed an innocent(?) application of alcohol-based hand sanitizer as they hand the appliance to unsuspecting motorists & ask them to blow...

ummm... That is not proof that it took place...that is an example, at best, of how something might possibly be done, if in deed it even works.

10 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I know on one of the islands recently they arrested a group of 30 Thai youths at a party for failing drugs tests. Once it had all been checked again at a hospital there were either six or eight that were actually positive.

I am not saying rigged equipment more like using cheaply bought  equipment not fit for purpose

With all due respect, thsat is still not proof. That is assumption without all the facts? Maybe many of the youths were just on the threshold of the drugs being detected and by the time another check was done, it was no longer detectable? What was the specific drug? What is the half life of the drug? What was the strength of the drug taken. How long before being tested was the drug taken and in what amount? What was the metabolism of the youths? Were some being more actie than the others? Had some eaten? Had others drank alcohol?

Without knowing the above it is just fantasy. But it is just easier to perpetuate a myth because the truth it too difficult and doesn't fit the storyline.