Thailand preparing to cash in on trade ties with UK after Brexit

snoop1130

Surprise surprise, we want out of the EU and then just cherry pick the regulations that are perceived as beneficial. Those that were unknowingly beneficial don't come into it.

“But even so, around two-thirds of them on mobile phone roaming and on flight compensation, say yes we should follow the European Union rules.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-trade-deal-brexit-news-eu-public-support-a9316511.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Where  are those 900,000 thousand job loses, no food on the shelves, no medicines,decimated economy. Project fear didn't work, has proven to be false and you are still peddling it.

If you think being stupid to want and be able to trade freely with the rest of the world and make your own rules. actually being able to fish and farm in your own waters and lands is stupid.

If that's your definition of stupid then I will take it over your lack of vision, fear and one who is happy to do the EU's bidding.

How on earth do Japan, USA, China, India, Australia, Singapore, Brazil, Canada, Russia and Korea cope not being in the EU.

Very well indeed.

We HAVE not left yet.

• Haha 1

We could get rid of all the project Fear and doomsayers  and ship them off someone. Where have I heard that one before.

In a hundred years or so a new country can be made.????

Bit of ethnic cleansing eh?

Yeah sounds right out of the playbook you guys have been following for years.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The following export product groups categorize the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2018. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

1. Machinery including computers: US$72.3 billion (14.8% of total exports)
  2. Vehicles: $54.6 billion (11.2%)
  3. Gems, precious metals: $47.4 billion (9.7%)
  4. Mineral fuels including oil: $43.7 billion (9%)
  5. Pharmaceuticals: $30 billion (6.2%)
  6. Electrical machinery, equipment: $28.8 billion (5.9%)
  7. Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $19.1 billion (3.9%)
  8. Aircraft, spacecraft: $19 billion (3.9%)
  9. Plastics, plastic articles: $12.3 billion (2.5%)
  10. Organic chemicals: $11.3 billion (2.3%)

United Kingdom’s top 10 exports accounted for more than two-thirds (69.5%) of the overall value of its global shipments.

Gems and precious metals was the fastest-growing export product among the UK’s top 10 categories, up 47.7% from 2017 to 2018 led by increased international sales of gold, silver and platinum.

And most of that will go to the EU.

How many spacecraft are you expecting to sell to the "new and exciting markets" that will be clamoring for a trade deal?

Brexit simply does not add up with regards to trade. But you guys knew that anyway and decided blue passports were more important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

And most of that will go to the EU.

How many spacecraft are you expecting to sell to the "new and exciting markets" that will be clamoring for a trade deal?

Quite a lot actually, I have an expert in this field with me now, the UK Aerospace Industry is worth quite a lot... in fact most of the space side of Airbus is in the UK. Thailand's building a replacement satellite soon; and a Thai delegation from GISTDA went to Surrey Space Satellites very recently as part of a "trade deal".

The expertise in this industry is a bit thinner on the ground on the continent. Which part of the trade or aerospace sector did you say you worked in, again?

Brexit simply does not add up with regards to trade. 

Do you have any evidence to support your maths? Perhaps you can show your working?

Edited by codebunny
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Free trade my backside.  Nothing is free. All is protectionism.

quid pro quo.

30 day visa exempt, not a problem, as Taksin seems to have been able to to come and go as he pleases..And certain others, that warranted 3 unmarked police cars racing up the M3 from Farnborough airport to London on a regular basis.

How much do you think he's worth to them in an FTA negotiation?

1 hour ago, codebunny said:

Quite a lot actually, I have an expert in this field with me now, the UK Aerospace Industry is worth quite a lot... in fact most of the space side of Airbus is in the UK. Thailand's building a replacement satellite soon; and a Thai delegation from GISTDA went to Surrey Space Satellites very recently as part of a "trade deal".

The expertise in this industry is a bit thinner on the ground on the continent. Which part of the trade or aerospace sector did you say you worked in, again?

Do you have any evidence to support your maths? Perhaps you can show your working?

Does your expert in the field think the Thais are going to buy a satellite or more likely get it from China?

I dont need to do the math.

The governments own figures show we will be worse off.

But you already knew that. 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, exparte said:

Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA)

Much of the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement simply updates the 25-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement, with new laws on intellectual property protection, the internet, investment, state-owned enterprises and currency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/business/economy/usmca-deal.html

I believe, no I know, not one specific ethnicity voted to leave the EU in the 2916 referendum, as it was a combination of different ethnic groups, genders, age and even different people from different parts of the UK.

So once again with most of your points are made up and scaremongering.

How many EU citizens living in the UK voted for Brexit?

Oh yeah thats right, they were not allowed a vote.

We both know the demographic that voted for Brexit. You guys dont like to admit it but its there all the same.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We both know the demographic that voted for Brexit. You guys dont like to admit it but its there all the same.

So you admit to talking nonsense about ethnicity. Also what on earth has the fact that EU citizens didn't vote in the referendum. Have you been drinking.  Its because they are not British. The same as Brits in other EU countries don't vote there.

As for we don't know the demographic that voted for Brexit. apparently you do with your ridiculous statement below

"Bit of ethnic cleansing eh?

Yeah sounds right out of the playbook you guys have been following for years".

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So you admit to talking nonsense about ethnicity. Also what on earth has the fact that EU citizens didn't vote in the referendum. Have you been drinking.  Its because they are not British. The same as Brits in other EU countries don't vote there.

As for we don't know the demographic that voted for Brexit. apparently you do with your ridiculous statement below

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No. I am not talking nonsense. Brexit lost in every major city even in England. Minority groups voted against Brexit.

We know which demographic voted for Brexit.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/519308/eu-referendum-voting-intention-in-uk-by-age/

Edited by Rookiescot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

So what? UK citizens don't have a say in Spanish national votes either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

So what? UK citizens don't have a say in Spanish national votes either. 

EU citizens living in Scotland were given a vote during the independence referendum because they lived there and the decision would affect them.

But of course in the Brexit referendum they were denied a vote because they wouldnt vote the right way. 

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

EU citizens living in Scotland were given a vote during the independence referendum because they lived there and the decision would affect them.

But of course in the Brexit referendum they were denied a vote because they wouldnt vote the right way. 

Works both ways. Scotland (SNP) also allowed 16 year olds to vote, probably to make sure they got the vote that they wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

And you still lost that vote.

If the vote had excluded EU citizens then YES would have won.

You didnt know about that?

I'll add it to the list of stuff you have no idea about regarding Scottish independence. 

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Demographic is not ethnicity. Again Nonsense. Now run along and let the sensible adults debate.

I didnt use the word ethnicity on purpose.

However since you mention it it was massively white people who voted for Brexit.

Minority groups voted against?

Why do you think that is? 

30 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I'll add it to the list of stuff you have no idea about regarding Scottish independence. 

I will add you to my ignore list. You supposedly an ex service man.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gearbox said:

Yes, there is a big world out there eager to sell...google "australia car industry fta thailand" to see what may happen to the UK car industry 5-10 years after a FTA with Thailand is signed. No cars are manufactured in Oz now, and our market is fairly sizable - around 60% of the UK market size.

Even I, as a brexiteer, didn't expect this good news so soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/03/nissan-eu-uk-hard-brexit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sharksy said:

Even I, as a brexiteer, didn't expect this good news so soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/03/nissan-eu-uk-hard-brexit

Lets have a look at what Nissan said regarding this story.

"A Nissan spokesman said on Monday: “We deny such a contingency plan exists. We’ve modelled every possible ramification of Brexit and the fact remains that our entire business both in the UK and in Europe is not sustainable in the event of WTO [World Trade Organization] tariffs."

In what way do you see this as good news?

Or did you just read the headline?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If the vote for Scottish independence had included England, you'd have been independent by now.

Don't expect to work in England without a work permit and VISA, same as any other 3rd world citizen though.

As for car manufacturing.

I'd be happy if England stopped all car importing, and manufacturing by foreign owned companies.

Make them all 100% English both parts and assembly, or choose another method of transport.

Edited by BritManToo

20 hours ago, codebunny said:

Ah yes, GISTDA and Theos satellite programme if I recall.

GISTDA make lots ‘study tours’ which are nothing more than glorified tax payer holidays. I even got to go on one once to surrey - for the same programme - 8 years ago. 

When the IO asked the purpose of my visit I answered ‘to help the Thai government but a satellite’ which shut him up pretty quickly as he was giving me some grief. 

And they still haven’t purchased a satellite. 

GISTDA are playing everyone off - Surrey, the Italians, the Canadian ans the yanks. 

Im also pretty sure it’s wrong to say the skills in Europe on this are thin on the ground. It wasn’t what I saw. 

It’s been a while since I was involved in this but Airbus have the in with the Thai government on this. Surreys mini satellite set up isn’t as sexy enough for the Thai government and the French know how to grease wheels much better.

All of this is irrelevant to the topic at hand though, the Uk didn’t need to leave the EU to sell satellites. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1