PM Prayut points to panic caused by fake news as worst aspect of virus crisis

webfact

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Oh right. Then I'm sure you would be happy to give us the real numbers?

I look forward to seeing them.

For a people that, for the most part, cannot do simple arithmetic without a calculator, you put an awful lot of faith in the statistics they release through their Govt. controlled news media.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

All I know is that you don't maintain all that power and authority by looking weak or lost. You do whatever it takes to maintain your reputation. If people have to die, then so be it. This is how authoritarian governments work.

As for provincial leaders being slow to "disseminate" information - don't they have to ask Beijing for permission first? 

yes they do.... but to show face heads have to "fly"

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“You can burn anything you like, but do not burn your own country

all hot air.... his best " do as I say don't do as I do" and the flights from China keep landing in ALL Thai airports, who's burning the country ?????

44 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

All I know is that you don't maintain all that power and authority by looking weak or lost. You do whatever it takes to maintain your reputation. If people have to die, then so be it. This is how authoritarian governments work.

As for provincial leaders being slow to "disseminate" information - don't they have to ask Beijing for permission first? The people at the very top make the big decisions, but the people at the bottom take the blame when it goes bad. 

No, that's why some are called "Autonomous Regions' And 'Special Administrative Regions.' Hubei isn't one of those as it happens but it would be no more than a phone call to the NPC to tell them what they are announcing if it had a national impact. The Hubei officials didn't make the call because they didn't know what they were dealing with when the infections stood at 15. Ignorance is no excuse as the saying goes, it was their job to know.

Your theory is widely accepted I know, but slightly distant from the reality. That's why heads have already rolled. They need to be seen to be quick, decisive and working in the interest of the people. They aren't relying on the body count for that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Ah. It's them Commies eh? Bad Commies!!

If they're running out of test kits (and there's no reports of that here in China) how come they're diagnosing around 3000 new cases every day? Today the reported number of new cases is 3237. That number available to anyone who has WeChat. Roughly 800m people. Now you can fool some of the people some of the time......

So ultimately you're relying on unsubstantiated panic pieces on social media?

Are you posting from within China don't they block the internet to protect you from this so called fake news?
If you are good look to you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Traubert said:

No, that's why some are called "Autonomous Regions' And 'Special Administrative Regions.' Hubei isn't one of those as it happens but it would be no more than a phone call to the NPC to tell them what they are announcing if it had a national impact. The Hubei officials didn't make the call because they didn't know what they were dealing with when the infections stood at 15. Ignorance is no excuse as the saying goes, it was their job to know.

Your theory is widely accepted I know, but slightly distant from the reality. That's why heads have already rolled. They need to be seen to be quick, decisive and working in the interest of the people. They aren't relying on the body count for that.

They were probably just scapegoats for those at the top making the decisions. You know "The Buck Stops At The Top"?

• Like 1

Don't agree. I think the worst thing for Thailand about the Coronavirus Pandemic, is the utter inadequacy of the Thai government, led by the totally inadequate mad Uncle Too. Diversion and misdirection are his stock in trade but I believe Thailand has woken up to this joker.

Time to make a start on your farewell/fleeing speech Unc.

I'm kinda thinking the worst thing about this virus is the virus. The second worst thing about the virus is the death caused by the virus. But that's just me.

Seems the government should expect fake news in such a highly charged, near pandemic situation.

Edited by Number 6

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said today that the worst thing about the ongoing novel coronavirus situation in Thailand is panic caused by fake news, as he warned those with ill-intent that they will be dealt with decisively and in accordance with the law.

You should show this determination in all the tragedies that destroy your country, road deaths, limitless fires across the country, crime in great growth and corruption so far untapped!

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It wasn't Hong Kong or Taiwan. And it really isn't a simple phone call. Beijing decide what to do when they have the info. And you can bet your bottom dollar that their party's self-preservation is paramount to any decision they make going forward. 

I didn't say it was either of those two.

According to the Vice-Governor of my province it is. Obviously you have a different source.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, monkfish said:

Are you posting from within China don't they block the internet to protect you from this so called fake news?
If you are good look to you.

I am yes, and no they don't.

Thanks for the good wishes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

I didn't say it was either of those two.

According to the Vice-Governor of my province it is. Obviously you have a different source.

I didn't say you did. The province I was talking about is Hubei which isn't a special administrative area of China. 

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I didn't say you did. The province I was talking about is Hubei which isn't a special administrative area of China. 

I already told you that about four posts back 'which Hubei isn't....'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

I already told you that about four posts back 'which Hubei isn't....'

So why did you say all they have to do is pick up the phone and make a call? That isn't true. And this is why there was a delay at the beginning which has made this whole thing a lot worse. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So why did you say all they have to do is pick up the phone and make a call? That isn't true. And this is why there was a delay at the beginning which has made this whole thing a lot worse. 

I'm really not following your train of thought here. There's no logical sequence to your questions and you've started asking them twice. Go back and read what I've already said. It answers the points in your latest post. I think I've said what I've said in a reasonably clear fashion and now you've turned to trying to score points.

I'm not interested in 'I'm right, your wrong.' It's happening outside my window. Have a nice day.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I'm really not following your train of thought here. There's no logical sequence to your questions and you've started asking them twice. Go back and read what I've already said. It answers the points in your latest post. I think I've said what I've said in a reasonably clear fashion and now you've turned to trying to score points.

I'm not interested in 'I'm right, your wrong.' It's happening outside my window. Have a nice day.

I believe the argument was about not believing the CCP. You were offended by this and asked why I didn't trust them. I clearly explained why I didn't.

Everything else was you trying to explain your way out. Kinda hard to defend the CCP, so you digressed. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 6:45 AM, FarFlungFalang said:

Hundreds dead is not worst than some panic caused by fake news?He does have some twisted ideas.Absolutely no compassion or empathy for human life if it occurs to those he perceives as below his class.Go back to your barracks dude for the good of the country.

He can't do that he retired from the Army, much to the joy of all, maybe he could travel to Wuhan you know that mythical place in China then he could tell us the truth about what's actually going on. Oooh that would hurt 

It should also be dealt with his fake news to boil too salty water and other nonsense he's given as advice. 

Another one: "when there are floods raise fish", or : "grow your own lemons if they are so expensive".

Complaints that Thai people are not good learners because "they don't know how to google" revealed what is inside his head.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 6:37 AM, rkidlad said:

Reminds me a lot of how China is dealing with all this. The CCP are spreading fake news that all is under control and stating numbers that are much lower than the real numbers. Meanwhile they’re going after people who speculate and who are genuinely worried.

It's considered legitimate for authorities to spread lies, it's a problem when people come up with their own ideas thinking for themselves.