Tourists on a motorcycle: Australian couple killed in horror collision in Krabi

webfact

Two Australians killed in bike accident

By The Nation

800_f73e0f783a72be0.png?v=1580799347

Two Australians were killed when their motorbike was involved in a crash with a pickup truck in front of the entrance to the hot springs in Klong Thom district, police in Krabi province were informed on Tuesday (February 4) .

The deceased were identified as Michael Benk De, 54, and Hei Delin De, 53.

vlcsnap-2020-02-04-12h44m05s202.png

The pickup truck driver said that the two tourists were riding along with another car, presumably their friends when it crashed into the pickup truck.

Police are investigating and collecting evidence.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381566

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-04

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think to be fair we need to reserve judgement until we know all the facts clearly.

There is one thing I find peculiar with your comment. My first question must be if you are blind?

If not, have you been taken a look at the picture that was attached to the news story? Reserve judgement? Are you serious?

You can see where the pickup is standing and where it therefore has been driving. So , the person driving the motorbike made a head on collision in the middle of the wrong side of the road. You actually do not have to be very clever to make a judgement out of that.

But please, do not let me disturb. Go get all your facts you can find to get a clearer picture. ????????

While looking at the picture I can see the result.

It's unnecessary to resort to rudeness by asking if I'm blind, and getting all the facts to get a clearer picture.

In the report it quotes only the pickup driver: 'He said that the couple were riding with another couple on another motorcycle when the deceased pair rode into his lane and there was a collision.'

There is another possibly (although unlikely) that the motorcyclists could have been driving in the same direction as the pickup, but in front of it. The motorcycle driver could have braked hard for whatever reason and the pickup ploughed into them at high speed.

Hence my comment about waiting to know the facts regarding the accident, not just making a judgement on an horrific accident and the statement of the driver alone.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Well there you have it....another wasted wonderful life yet again on THailand's roads....So unnecessary and sad.  Damm it, wish it wasn't this way.  I really like this place, but like my x wife, she will never change....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, saakura said:

RIP, horrific tragedy. Tourists from western nations should be banned from riding scooters and motorcycles in Thailand as they would have no idea of the dangers on the roads here.

If - if - the driver is to be believed then the danger on the road was the tourists who drove into him. Aren't many of the accidents in Thailand involving foreigners due to them not being qualified or being unable to control what they are driving? Plenty of members of this site are often saying as much.

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It really would be nice if you weren't so offensive.

edit: BTW, so far 10 people liked my first post, only you posted as "confused"

Yes, I know that you are a bunch of guys that support each other for the love of likes. Means nothing to me. They probably just looked at the name of the poster and did not understand the content of what they read.

The fact is that they simply couldn´t control the motorbike, and then <deleted> happens quick. End of story!

Edited by Matzzon

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps the vehicle was moved to allow the vehicle flow.

Indeed many possibilities.Motor vehicle accidents are notoriously difficult to judge what has happened from how everything comes to rest when at the scene let alone from a photo in a news article. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Indeed many possibilities.Motor vehicle accidents are notoriously difficult to judge what has happened from how everything comes to rest when at the scene let alone from a photo in a news article. 

Maybe if you click on the link to the news article in the OP and view all the photos it might make it easier to judge what happened. It certainly appears to back-up the comments of the pick-up driver. Not pretty, though.  

• Like 1

Trying to overtake two up on a gutless scooter.... not an uncommon result and certainly the cause of countless near misses. Buy big ‘cause when use gots ta go, use got ta go.

Edited by jany123
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I think not. If you look at the photo, there is a body still on the roof of the vehicle, with another on the tarmac in the foreground. There is also much debris on the floor around the impact point.

Also note the white outlines on the road around the truck tires.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the couple were riding with another couple

would not be surprised that the two bikes got parallel to each other, got a bit too close and the couple's bike driver over reacted or just not thinking went out of the lane.  See it all the time with full sized bikers riding next to each other. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

We nearly got squished by digger doing 70 on Pattaya main road yesterday that ran a red, thank god we got the side road we wanted after 60 seconds of hasty planning for the afterlife whilst the yellow monstrosity chased us

70 what? Feet a fortnight?

Diggers are big but quite slow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I am 75 years old, with a perfect sight without glasses, I exercise every day, my blood pressure is most of the time under 12/8, I regularly swim three kilometres with flippers, I am a teetotaller. I started legally with a moped 50 cc at 14 years old, I do not remember not having some sort of motorbike all my life including cross country and trial's ones, a 650cc Yamaha, in my sixties a delirious Italian scooter, a Gilera two-stroke, 180cc which to reach zero to one hundred kilometres hours in six seconds consumed seven litres of mixture each hundred kilometres, and many more over the decades...and with all that you would forbid me to drive a scooter ... but I am a saint ???? to be able to remain polite, dear Sir ???? 

Congratulations.

And the feller coming the other way?

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Just tourists? Why not just ban all foreigners from riding scooters & motorcycles in Thailand.

I am a foreigner when in Thailand. I have a motorcycle in Thailand, and one in Cambodia, as well as one in my home country. I have been riding motorcycles 50 years, and never had an accident since I was 16, and that was only extremely minor. I have ridden thousands of kms in Thailand, and out of any country, I really enjoy riding a bike in Thailand.. Because some people make stupid and ill informed comments, there should be a ban on people making comments on any Internet based forum...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:
21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If the story is correct. How do you do, and what can be done, to prevent a stupid tourist from changing lanes and drive against traffic? How do you make this the fault of Thai drivers and Thailand drivers education based on the information in the news?

I think to be fair we need to reserve judgement until we know all the facts clearly.

Hell no! Matzzon's on a roll here so don't discourage him as this will keep him busy for a while and away from posting on the other, much more interesting TV threads.

• Haha 1