Tourists on a motorcycle: Australian couple killed in horror collision in Krabi

webfact

Tourists on a motorcycle: Australian couple killed in horror collision in Krabi

2pm.jpg

Thai caption: Horror collision kills two foreigners

Picture: 77kaoded

A horrific sight awaited police and rescue teams when they arrived at the scene of a head on collision between a motorcycle and a pick-up truck near the turning to the hot springs (Sa Morakot) in Krabi, southern Thailand.

Two Australian tourists were dead at the scene. 

A 53 year old lady named as Hei Delin De was on the roof of a pick-up with its front smashed in. 

Her husband Michael Benk De, 54, was dead on the road surface. A motorcycle with its front smashed was nearby. 

Both had suffered severe injuries.

The 30 year old driver of the pick-up had walked to tell Klong Thom police about the accident.

He said that the couple were riding with another couple on another motorcycle when the deceased pair rode into his lane and there was a collision. 

Police are investigating. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-04
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Based on where his vehicle is, on the correct side of the road his story seems to stand up, and he didn't run away, a pair of firsts. Sadly tourists unused to riding a motorbike, or with any concept of the danger of Thailands roads will continue to rent one without a licence because of money. 

Perhaps the vehicle was moved to allow the vehicle flow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

There is a safe way to negotiate Thai traffic with a scooter. Drive as far as one can get on the left, and don't go above 40 km/hr. Use mirrors constantly.

From the look of the front of the vehicle involved, I'd say neither of the first two conditions were satisfied.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

For a start it should be illegal ( and enforced ) to rent any motorcycle to someone who cannot show a valid driving licence from their own country for the vehicle they are wanting to hire, in this case a motorcycle. This should be backed up by an international driving permit also endorsed for motorcycles. In addition , prospective renters should produce an insurance note from their own country that covers them for motorcycle accidents. Also the people renting out the motorcycle should have their vehicles appropriately insured. Decent helmets should be supplied with the vehicle in varying sizes and the police should come down hard on anyone, Thais or locals , taking a laissez faire attitude to the law. Loose fitting footwear , like flip flops , should also be illegal.

Sigh .................. way to sensible and draconion for

'my pen ry ' Thailand where money takes priority over road safety. 

The pick up driver is also a apparent victim here. His vehicle is smashed up and he has accidentally taken the lives of two people. Something that he won't forget in a long time.

So as we all know , these little life and death vignettes are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Sure when you tell it that way, sigh! How do you know all was not fulfilled that you signed above? Nah, of course it wasn´t. It was just to much and too heavy. You just painted up a dream scenario.

You have to remember that this is Thailand and will always be Thailand. They do not even know or have heard about many of the things you mentioned. However, you are 100 % dead right! It doesn´t work in Thailand, though.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think to be fair we need to reserve judgement until we know all the facts clearly.

There is one thing I find peculiar with your comment. My first question must be if you are blind?

If not, have you been taken a look at the picture that was attached to the news story? Reserve judgement? Are you serious?

You can see where the pickup is standing and where it therefore has been driving. So , the person driving the motorbike made a head on collision in the middle of the wrong side of the road. You actually do not have to be very clever to make a judgement out of that.

But please, do not let me disturb. Go get all your facts you can find to get a clearer picture. ????????????

• Like 1

Beside the fact, that the tourists came from a country with left side driving, it´s nonsense to forbid ALL foreigners to drive in Thailand. But it should be forbidden to drive without a motorcycle driver license. Too many people are sitting the first time in their life on a 125cc one and have no idea what will happen if they drive too fast in a corner (physics), what I guess happened in this case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dyertribe said:

With those names I wonder if they are Austrian rather than Australian?  They are germanic names.

Both names seemingly terrible transcripts from word of mouth.

Hei Delin De? -> Heidelinde? (a female first name)

Benk De?

2 hours ago, dyertribe said:

With those names I wonder if they are Austrian rather than Australian?  They are germanic names.

I did wonder that too, but there are Germans who live in Australia so either is possible.

From the position of the vehicle, and assuming this was the position at the point of impact as indicated by the chalk marks, it would appear that the motorcyclist was completely at fault, driving in the centre of the wrong lane. Unusual since I believe Aussies drive on the left side the same as U.K. and New Zealand.