Brexit trade deal clash: UK and EU spar over rules

webfact

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

As an outsider i do not know the detailed production structures and revenue / cost structures in the individual Nissan plants. What and how market shares in the Renault-Nissan Daimler-Mitsubishi alliance to be distributed behind closed doors I can not say. At most, there were guesses.

But in general i can say that all unprofitable plants are always put to the test bench. 

The trend in this industry is to have platform-based factories. For multi-brand companies it means the same production platform builds brand variants from the same body, i.e. a Renault car and Nissan car, or a VW car and a Seat car. So apart from specialty cars, it can be expected that most cars by Renault or Nissan will be produced in the same factory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The Channel Islands are not part of the EU as far as I know.

The Channel Islands are not part of the EU and only a small percentage of residents are able to vote in the referendum on whether the UK should remain a member. ... The most southerly part of the British Isles, the islands are self-governing Crown Dependencies, not members of the EU and not part of the UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The Channel Islands are not part of the EU as far as I know.

Even so the existing agreement lapsed with the UK leaving the EU. (Even though Guernsey is not in the EU.) - I'ts one of those things that didn't get carried over into the transition period.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

The Channel Islands are not part of the EU and only a small percentage of residents are able to vote in the referendum on whether the UK should remain a member. ... The most southerly part of the British Isles, the islands are self-governing Crown Dependencies, not members of the EU and not part of the UK.

The move followed the UK leaving the EU on Friday, which put an end to the London Fisheries Convention that allowed French fishermen to access waters between six and 12 nautical miles around the Bailiwick.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/02/04/troubled-waters-for-islands-fisherman-as-france-looks-to-block-boats-landing-catches/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Great opportunity there for a British entrepreneur

on the mainland.

Process that EU!

Two problems there.

Guernsey is a lot further away from the UK  mainland than France - roughly a 24 hour round trip in a fishing boat.

We just don't eat a lot of what they catch there - squid isn't that popular in the UK  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

Have you missed me? - Been off converting my other house here next door into 3 flats to let out so I've got enough income to live here in a post brexit world.

The rents in France, especially rural France can be quite disappointing, I had a one bedroomed detached bungalow in about a half of an acre. I asked about renting it out and I was advised I would expect to achieve about 150 - 200 euro a month, but I was in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, izod10 said:

Does not make an ounce of difference (you used it before)  The UK is out of the EU and will knock the EU out too.

Its old hat,means nothing now,nothing at all.

Just concentrate on what Boris is about to achieve,destruction of the EU 

What I've noticed about Brexiters is that they can time travel.  Otherwise how could we trust their assertions about what the future will bring?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tebee said:

Two problems there.

Guernsey is a lot further away from the UK  mainland than France - roughly a 24 hour round trip in a fishing boat.

We just don't eat a lot of what they catch there - squid isn't that popular in the UK  

I have it on good Brexiter authority that within 20 years no Channel Island will be farther than 10 knots from Blighty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If you want to be completely salty, please use nautical miles for maritime distance units. Knots are units of speed, or tied rope fastenings.

Odd how pedantic Brexiteers can be regarding posts on here but so relaxed over the details of Brexit where a "It will be OK. Stop putting the UK down" attitude prevails. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Unlike Brexiters, the EU is not delusional about the consequences of Brexit. As they have pointed out, Brexit will not be good for the EU. It's the Brexiters who believe that if Brexit is bad for the EU, then it must be good for the UK. Because, you know, there's no such thing as a lose-lose outcome.

I am sure that both sides can see problems of no trade deal. Your comment about Brexiteers beliefs is false, but expected, of course.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vogie said:

The rents in France, especially rural France can be quite disappointing, I had a one bedroomed detached bungalow in about a half of an acre. I asked about renting it out and I was advised I would expect to achieve about 150 - 200 euro a month, but I was in the middle of nowhere. 

That sounds low to me  Round this  bit of rural France the bedsits seem to go from 170-250 a month. "Coincidentally" 250 is the max government rent support you'll get as a single person.   I've just let a small 2 bed house in a small town to a Romainian family for 350  per month - but we only paid 19,000 for it in the first place so it's a decent rate of return, unlike the 5 bed house my wife rents out in the BKK suburbs which is valued at 5 million baht, but only produces the equivalent of 400 euros per month. 

For the 3 flats I've just done I'm hoping to get 250 and 300 for the two 2 bed ones and 180 for the studio  - I prefer to offer slightly lower rents than normal and have tenants that don't want to move

40 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I am sure that both sides can see problems of no trade deal. Your comment about Brexiteers beliefs is false, but expected, of course.

But have you noticed how Boris is now trying to rebrand "no deal" as the "Australian deal" - hint Australia does not have a traded deal with the EU..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

But have you noticed how Boris is now trying to rebrand "no deal" as the "Australian deal" - hint Australia does not have a traded deal with the EU..

We all know what a great wordsmith Boris is, and an 'Australian deal' does sound better than 'no deal'

• Like 2

Posts containing unattributed content have been removed. Please provide a valid link to the source of information when posting:   

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences. Posts using trolling memes or trolling videos have been removed.

Posts containing Twitter posts have removed as well as the replies as this is not a Twitter site.

Off topic posts and troll posts and the replies have been removed as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

We all know what a great wordsmith Boris is, and an 'Australian deal' does sound better than 'no deal'

But it's all very 1984 newspeak -  Orwell believed that totalitarianism and the corruption of language were connected. He focused especially on political language where you distorted events and concepts by calling them something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

You just trade,no need for trade agreement,just buy and sell as need arises. Problem with EU goods were artificially hiked,French farmers getting paid far more than their worth.  Once UK out of EU watch those EU buyers flock over to the UK on buying sprees,everything way over the top,is it 23% VAT over there?,think ireland even higher or about to be as the country is broke

Boris is on a winner,just bide his time,no need to negotiate on anything

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

But it's all very 1984 newspeak -  Orwell believed that totalitarianism and the corruption of language were connected. He focused especially on political language where you distorted events and concepts by calling them something else. 

I personally wouldn't describe democracy as totalitarianism, let's not forget, nor should we that Boris was more popular with the British public than any other leader of any other political party and his popularity grows by every day he is in office.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, izod10 said:

You just trade,no need for trade agreement,just buy and sell as need arises. Problem with EU goods were artificially hiked,French farmers getting paid far more than their worth.  Once UK out of EU watch those EU buyers flock over to the UK on buying sprees,everything way over the top,is it 23% VAT over there?,think ireland even higher or about to be as the country is broke

Boris is on a winner,just bide his time,no need to negotiate on anything

and of course you believe you'll trade with the US the same way, "no need for trade agreement, just buy and sell" ? Or maybe you'll impose your terms? 

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1