Refused Hand-Gel between 2pm-5pm from Pharmacy. No Alcohol!

JeffersLos

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Have you told this story before?

Anyway it's a simple mistake to make when bringing stock onto the computer's inventory. The person checking the goods in reads 'root beer'. They may never have heard of it but they do know that beer is generally an alcoholic drink so it's flagged up on the proscribed list so that the till will not allow a sale.

Does that sound too outlandish? I don't think so. Being a Brit, I don't know what root beer is either and I would probably have made the same mistake.

you can buy root beer in Britain as well

I can understand her 'alcohol' mistake, as the word "root" itself has another connotation in Australia - something LOS is well known for. As a teenager growing up in Oz, I could not wait to get my hands on a can of "root beer" after I saw it in a military store as a cadet, especially as I'd already tried normal beer, knew exactly what it did to girls and, it was available and cheap and I was only fourteen. Bitter disappointment when I found it it was just sarsaparilla.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably an obvious answer...

Was the product for sale behind the pharmacy counter on purpose or by mistake ?
Some / all ? pharmacies such as Watsons, Boots cannot sell 'drugs' unless a pharmacist is there.

The shop assistant was doing her job as she knows it.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:20 PM, Hank Gunn said:

This is what happens when critical thinking for the masses is actively discouraged (except of course for the elite, who attend the best private schools money can buy).

Before any of the Thai apologists jump on me, I mentioned this to my Thai wife and she just sardonically said, "That's Thailand."

When some Thai ladies associate with foreign men, they become Thaiforeingish and then Thailand kind of become below par for them.

i remember the time gas stations were required to shut at 6pm to solve some problem like road congestion... and we have to give passport details when getting a phone number to combat terrorism - completely ignoring the fact foreign phones with basic roaming will work in thailand... and a health certificate for chinese entering the kingdom, conveniently ignoring the 10 -14 day incubation period for the virus... loads of great ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i remember the time gas stations were required to shut at 6pm to solve some problem like road congestion... and we have to give passport details when getting a phone number to combat terrorism - completely ignoring the fact foreign phones with basic roaming will work in thailand... and a health certificate for chinese entering the kingdom, conveniently ignoring the 10 -14 day incubation period for the virus... loads of great ideas.

And don't forget the all time classic from the head idiot, boil your salty water before drinking it !! Yeehaa we are oh so f****d  :stoner:

41 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Probably an obvious answer...

Was the product for sale behind the pharmacy counter on purpose or by mistake ?
Some / all ? pharmacies such as Watsons, Boots cannot sell 'drugs' unless a pharmacist is there.

The shop assistant was doing her job as she knows it.

Hopefully as she knows it.

I was given prescription drugs at 8pm a while ago without a pharmacist present. The clerk called the pharmacist and asked me for my symptoms. Then I got drugs I hadn't heard of a couple of minutes later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would have just walked back to the shelf, picked one up, and walked out with it.

Let her call the police and explain to them that I am not allowed to purchase hand-gel between 2 and 5pm. I would then explain to the police that if I am not allowed to purchase it, then it must be free.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, timendres said:

I would have just walked back to the shelf, picked one up, and walked out with it.

Let her call the police and explain to them that I am not allowed to purchase hand-gel between 2 and 5pm. I would then explain to the police that if I am not allowed to purchase it, then it must be free.

Mature. ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ballpoint said:

As is anyone who actually believes the OP.

things like this sometimes just happen in Thailand.

the other day, I bought 5 identical products in a supermarket. one of the barcodes was smudged. instead of scanning another item twice, the cashier insisted on going into the shop to bring another identical product and scan it instead. Before she wandered off, I told her just to take another one I bought to scan it, but she had an angry reaction... I can only suppose some people are angry at their own stupidity.

Edited by tgw

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

things like this sometimes just happen in Thailand.

the other day, I bought 5 identical products in a supermarket. one of the barcodes was smudged. instead of scanning another item twice, the cashier insisted on going into the shop to bring another identical product and scan it instead. Before she wandered off, I told her just to take another one I bought to scan it, but she had an angry reaction... I can only suppose some people are angry at their own stupidity.

Complete lack of common sense. I see it on an almost daily basis.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, steven100 said:

i'm calling this one out !   total BS ... OP.   I bought some just two days ago and no problem

On my list:

buy rubbing alcohol at noon 3 PM

buy grocery at BigC paying with cash and not showing my passport

Threads today are frightening :shock1:

Edited by KhunBENQ
noon -> 3 PM
  • Like 2

I'm constantly amused by the way a single incident involving one individual is turned into an indictment of an entire race of people.

Back home, we'd have a good chuckle about the pimply faced kid or clueless blonde.  Here on TVF, it's taken as proof of the inferiority of Thai society.

The aroma of Bwana is strong in this group.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Complete lack of common sense. I see it on an almost daily basis.

The common sense we learned growing up serves us only in that environment.  It doesn't serve us very well in the East.  Most of the foreigners I met in Thailand and China bounce from one predicament to another, enabled only by the fact that we came from a career where we made enough money to laugh off a 50 or 500 baht mistake.

As always, I challenge any foreigner to leave home in the morning with 50 baht in your pocket for all your discretionary spending (and no ATM card).  Do that for 6 months in a row, and you'll get an inkling of what the average Thai is up against.  I doubt most of us could do it.  But tens of millions of Thai people do it their entire lives.  And for that, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the skills that requires.