Refused Hand-Gel between 2pm-5pm from Pharmacy. No Alcohol!

JeffersLos

2 hours ago, impulse said:

The common sense we learned growing up serves us only in that environment.  It doesn't serve us very well in the East.  Most of the foreigners I met in Thailand and China bounce from one predicament to another, enabled only by the fact that we came from a career where we made enough money to laugh off a 50 or 500 baht mistake.

Lame excuse for what was clear stupidity.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

As always, I challenge any foreigner to leave home in the morning with 50 baht in your pocket for all your discretionary spending (and no ATM card).  Do that for 6 months in a row, and you'll get an inkling of what the average Thai is up against.  I doubt most of us could do it.  But tens of millions of Thai people do it their entire lives.  And for that, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the skills that requires.

I don't think many Thais leave home with 50 baht in their pocket these days, unless they are dirt poor. But that is a motocy ride and noodles, so what is the big deal?

Having had to juggle bills month-to-month, as well as having had to live here on 15k THB per month, I can assure you that it is not that difficult, albeit unpleasant. In fact, many people in the US are eating mac and cheese, ramen, and canned beans, while driving a car that is one episode from finality, if they can afford to own a car at all. Just visit any trailer park, and you will find these same skills in abundance.

9 minutes ago, timendres said:

Lame excuse for what was clear stupidity.

I don't think many Thais leave home with 50 baht in their pocket these days, unless they are dirt poor. But that is a motocy ride and noodles, so what is the big deal?

Having had to juggle bills month-to-month, as well as having had to live here on 15k THB per month, I can assure you that it is not that difficult, albeit unpleasant. In fact, many people in the US are eating mac and cheese, ramen, and canned beans, while driving a car that is one episode from finality, if they can afford to own a car at all. Just visit any trailer park, and you will find these same skills in abundance.

So, let me get this straight.  You had the benefit of a career in a western country with 10x the GDP per capita of Thailand, you're reduced to living occasionally on 15K a month, and you're calling out Thais on common sense?

That's rich.

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:37 PM, SteveK said:

In with my groceries were two cans of A&W root beer. At the counter the young lady scanned all of my things before claiming "kaai mai dai ka" and showing me the root beer.

but is said "beer" on the cans.

similar problems with germans visiting the states, getting excited to find a stock of "Ur-bier" only to be unpleasantly surprised.

42 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, let me get this straight.  You had the benefit of a career in a western country with 10x the GDP per capita of Thailand, you're reduced to living occasionally on 15K a month, and you're calling out Thais on common sense?

That's rich.

My career in the US was long and profitable, and created a net worth that ensures a comfortable future and a nice inheritance for my kids. Moving here was not about money. It was about how I wanted to live my life. And living on 15k per month is an investment in building a business here, again about the future, while not p1ss1ng away my kids' inheritance because I am too lazy and stupid to manage my budget, or need some frivolous lifestyle that does not suit me. Judge that any way you like. And, yes, "rich" does apply, thanks.

• 1 year later...