UK most popular educational destination for Thai students, says British Council, points out Thai teachers are poor in English

snoop1130

On 2/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Cereal said:

How can any sane person expect a Thai to be able to properly teach English? Native speakers from select countries are what is needed to teach a language. I do not consider Aussies, Kiwis, or Saffers to be native English speakers at a level to be able to teach English. I know that is controversial, but too bad. Their accents are horrible to listen to for Canadians and Americans, let alone Thai or Lao students.

Exactly so and on that subject, the English accent to which Thai students - indeed all of us - should aspire to is that of our very own Dan Cheeseman.Now that's an accent which will open doors for you.

putting thai english teachers aside for a moment, the number of unqualified and inexperienced native speaker teachers is hardly beneficial to the language skills of students. if all you think all that is needed to teach your native language was being a native speaker with a degree then try getting an EFL job, for example, in the UK. you'd be laughed out of the interview room - assuming you got that far.

the education ministry needs to introduce and enforce minimum standards for native speaking language teachers.

my friend's children have told me numerous stories of native speaker teachers simply playing you tube videos in class, i have seen worksheets used in class with absolutely no consideration to appropriately grade the language and some students can simply not understand what their teacher is saying...

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

putting thai english teachers aside for a moment, the number of unqualified and inexperienced native speaker teachers is hardly beneficial to the language skills of students. if all you think all that is needed to teach your native language was being a native speaker with a degree then try getting an EFL job, for example, in the UK. you'd be laughed out of the interview room - assuming you got that far.

the education ministry needs to introduce and enforce minimum standards for native speaking language teachers.

my friend's children have told me numerous stories of native speaker teachers simply playing you tube videos in class, i have seen worksheets used in class with absolutely no consideration to appropriately grade the language and some students can simply not understand what their teacher is saying...

The Education Ministry already lays down standards for Native English Speaking Teachers. These include a degree, a Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate ( from an institution which they recognise and approve ), a Police background check and to achieve, in the case of non native speakers, a high score in an independently administered test of competence in the language (IELTS).

The problem is that these rules are rarely applied, and are often circumvented. Much of the recruitment and supply of teachers is now in the hands of "agents", who "fix" qualifications and work permits, the definition of Native Speaker has been so widened as to be meaningless, and the requirements for an IELTS assessment are simply ignored.

The tentacles of corruption. The school directors make money, the agents make money, the teachers (who don't meet the required standards, have dodgy "internet" qualifications, and are not really native speakers ) work on the cheap, and the resulting standards are as described.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 10:39 PM, Yadon Toploy said:

Still, she puts this current PM to shame in many aspects, including English language ability.

Mocking her teeth? Is this a primary school playground?

You must be listening to a different person.  The PM is useless, granted, but Yingluck isn't much better.  At least her older brother has a reasonable standard of English.

And the only reason for mentioning her teeth, had you been concentrating, was because someone alluded to her being somewhat fruity.  If I saw teeth like this coming towards me I'd run, however fruity the rest of her is.  

Yinglack teeth.jpg

On 2/5/2020 at 8:18 AM, zydeco said:

The UK is running several scam deals. One of the most lucrative is to offer dual degree programs, which require Thai students to pay tuition to a UK university over three years while they are still attending their Thai university. The students need only attend their UK university for a semester to "complete" their studies. This is what the Northumbria sales rep tried to pass off on students at Mahidol, for example, a few years ago. Wolverhampton has a similar, perhaps worse, scam going. These two, of course, were rebranded as "universities" in the 1990s, and apparently they are still desperate for funds.

Both Northumbria and Wolverhampton were technical colleges in the 60s, were rebranded as polytechnics, then were rebranded again to become universities.  

I know, because I lived in Newcastle where Northumbria is, and then I lived in Wolverhampton and actually went to the Uni when it was a Poly.

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 2/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, Hackney35 said:

I’m no history expert but surely Aussies and kiwis are as native at speaking english as Americans? You are all ultimately descendants from British/European immigrants.

I personally find some American accents more horrible than say a well educated Kiwi. 

So yeah your post comes across as somewhat arrogant.

Some saffas aren’t native speakers because Afrikaans is their first language but the English saffas are. Quite a big difference again. 

That's because any well-educated Kiwi was educated in Canada or the USA!

On 2/5/2020 at 12:45 AM, Cereal said:

Native speakers from select countries are what is needed to teach a language.

India does not need native English speakers to teach English but 100s of students taught by native Indian speakers have gone to the USA to become the CEOs of biggest companies, including Microsoft, Google, Pepsi, etc, thousands have becomes doctors, engineers, world famous English authors so much so that their average income in the USA is double of the native Caucasians and they were never by native English speakers. Native English teacher is a ruse for modern day colonization.

Edited by murikamba
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 7:39 AM, Emdog said:

"The United Kingdom is the number one destination for Thai higher education students..."

Amazing. Does this mean Thai universities have fewer students than unis in UK?

Or maybe they  decided Thai universities don't provide higher education?

The United Kingdom is the number one destination for Thai higher education students, representing 6,785 or 43 per cent of the total Thai students choosing to study abroad,

Where did you get your university education, if any?

18 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The United Kingdom is the number one destination for Thai higher education students, representing 6,785 or 43 per cent of the total Thai students choosing to study abroad,

Where did you get your university education, if any?

UK most popular educational destination for Thai students, says British Council, points out Thai teachers are poor in English

I was riffing off the headline. Yes, I know eventually the story gets round to "studying abroad".

I have a BBA, a Masters and 115 credit hours beyond that, from accredited US universities. Where'd you get yours, if any?