Big C asks for Passport when purchasing groceries

ThailandRyan

6 hours ago, chatette said:

The cashier wanted to give you a discount based on the spending points you'd accumulated on your loyalty program membership.
They ask to see ID (Thai ID card or foreigners' passport) to verify that it is in fact your membership card and not someone else's. It's a reasonable ask.
Their failing was they were unable to explain the reason to you or your girlfriend, which I would put down to poor training.
Nothing sinister.

I tried telling the same (post #83, page 6) but it seems everyone is reading over that and just kept blaming it just on being a fareigner in conjunction with using the membercard.

It is simple, just as a few said like you.

Points and redeeming PLUS the inability to explain from the cashier.

Perhaps buyer just nodded when the cashier was asking 'something-i-don't-know-what-so-just-nod-and-smile'.

• Like 1

The card and the benefits one is entitled to by virtue of holding it are all non-transferable. The cashier was following correct procedure which is to ensure the person presenting the card is in fact the true card holder. There is no "unwanted"-ness or xenophobic intentions behind the store's staff insisting on sighting identification. This false perception is slanderous and the store should in fact seek legal representation if their good name is unjustifiably brought into disrepute.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mvdf said:

The card and the benefits one is entitled to by virtue of holding it are all non-transferable. The cashier was following correct procedure which is to ensure the person presenting the card is in fact the true card holder. There is no "unwanted"-ness or xenophobic intentions behind the store's staff insisting on sighting identification. This false perception is slanderous and the store should in fact seek legal representation if their good name is unjustifiably brought into disrepute.

Pray tell where any slanderous or libelous claims were made in my OP.  In your own words having a false perception is slanderous and the store should seek legal representation.  If that truly is a case than any perceptions you have must be based only on reality, and your own belief and moral system, where if one disagrees with your thoughts, without knowing what those thoughts are, should be held accountable.  Please grow up and stop with the wind-up.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, Just Weird said:

"Naah, I notice a weird Thai apologist in this thread..."

I suspect you may be referring to me even though I didn't mention "ordinary groceries". I did refer to "ordinary cash purchases", though, so, yes, you are wrong, this bloke's shopping expedition confirms nothing about anyone thinking that "we are unwanted".

If Thai people buy something, use a card, they also have to show a passport or ID-card then?

The man wanted to pay cash, still had to show a passport.

When are you going to discard that rise-tinted spectacles?

My reaction would have been, just walk away, without groceries, never to go to that shop again.

• Like 1

PPT blue card can also only be obtained if you have a Thai In number.  So, most foreigners can't get one. I never use PTT petrol stations.  Caltex give good rewards usung the one card.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Just Weird said:

It's fairly easy to deduce that it's because you were using your Big C membership card, that they want ID for, and, presumably, you get some benefit from.  Big C do not ask for passports for a straightforward cash purchase.

No, they're not for ordinary cash purchases.

I went to Bic C twice this week, paid with my bankcard and was not asked for may passport.

• Like 1

It's all a misunderstanding . Big C asks for your passport when you're entitled to a discount - just verifying that the Big C card is yours . If you don't present the passport you don't get the discount - but you do the next time you shop - IF you show your passport

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:19 PM, ThailandRyan said:

However, when I handed the cashier my K-Bank debit card he said I needed to show him my passport as he needed to enter the number from it into the computer.  Of course I asked him why and his response was "you are not Thai"

I can help you.

You need to wear fisherman's pants that almost come up to your knees, because you're so tall.

That way you blend in better with the humble Thai people, who only wear Thai clothes, never Western Farang clothes to show how proud they are of Thai culture. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

I have began to notice unnecessary requests for my passport also.

My guess it's a mix of 'control issues for the Thais' and mostly though, simply, 'lack of understanding.'

You don't need my passport to make a print...

*Staff member, goes to ask her boss...

Edited by Solinvictus

1 hour ago, justin case said:

wait for it ... soon you FARANG will need to show your THAI ID CARD to buy ... which off course, you never can get as you are ONLY FARANG

The Thai ID card for a farang is the same as a Thai card but pink colour. As I have a yellow book it seems I can apply, and I will...????....Stuff is changing in the L of S, so I reckon every little may help....????

1 minute ago, transam said:

The Thai ID card for a farang is the same as a Thai card but pink colour. As I have a yellow book it seems I can apply, and I will...????....Stuff is changing in the L of S, so I reckon every little may help....????

'every little may help' - surely that's Tesco Lotus you're think of?

• Haha 1

Just now, rwill said:

My wife gets asked to show her ID card at times when we shop, must be for discounts too.  So I don't really think it is discrimination.

So in your opinion, what is the reason. ?

I cannot see a reason, if I am handing over cash for a box of corn flakes.....????

That is totally bizarre. What is this, the Soviet union in 1952? I would never allow that. I would resist this kind of thing with all my might. What is happening, is that the extreme racism, xenophobia and hatred of foreigners on the part of the hapless, and useless army, is trickling down to some parts of society. This is not a good trend, and does not bode well for the future of the nation, nor for our future here. It is based on total ignorance, as is the case with nearly all the policy coming out of this incompetent and racist administration. 

I give my wife's mobile number at the Big C register as she is the member and more often than not is not with me. In more than a year I've received thousands of baht discounts (in total) and not once had to show any ID. But I can recall occasionally the wife has had to show her Thai ID card for a discount to be processed.

Basically the same at Tesco Lotus although I don't ever recall the wife needing to show ID.

15 hours ago, mercman24 said:

ok a bit of a tangent the stupidity of showing a passport, at the post office, tried to send as birthday card to my grand daughter in the UK, *where is your passport*  <deleted> is that about,

Aren't you going to exaggerate a bit?

To send a parcel it is compulsory for everyone, farang and thai;
but to send a letter, even by registered post, I never showed an identity card or my passport; I never have this one with me when I go somewhere in my province or even in that of Udon Thani.