Big C asks for Passport when purchasing groceries

ThailandRyan

On 2/5/2020 at 11:50 PM, White Christmas13 said:

errrm maybe I read this wrong but he was refused to pay in cash who cares about discounts

You`re right, but STILL his member card was registrated first of all.
MAYBE that was the reason? I have no idea.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:12 AM, ThailandRyan said:

No Happy, I do not carry a copy, I only carry my Pink ID card.  Copy is on my Phone, which I did not have with me as I left it at home.

Same for me.
I only bring my Thai driving licenses when i am in the neighbourhood, and never had any problem for 20 yrs.
At longer trips it is different, of coarse...

On 2/6/2020 at 10:17 AM, tlandtday said:

The responses are understandable given that you need to present a passport at the thai post office to send a birthday card.  And the only thing conspiring here is your lack of understanding of the term and its proper use lol.

Never EVER needed to preset ANY ID to send stuff around in Thailand, OR to Europe.
I am talking about post offices at Jomtien Beach AND the Surin area in Isaan.
Never heard anyone mention this "crazyness" regarding post offices  before!

On 2/6/2020 at 1:53 PM, ThaiBunny said:

I've wondered what would happen if someone simply put down the bill and the money on the counter and walked away when the passport was demanded

I DID - many years ago, on the way from my condo at the beach, and up to my house in Isaan.
Had some friends in the car, and we had a few beer on the way. (wife driving)
We needed some stock "refill" on the way, but it was at the "wrong time" of the day, (before 17:00)
I just picked my beer, they said No no NO, can NOT!
I just left the money (+some extra, to be sure) told them to "Do what you want" and went out...
Worked fine, that time. 

Edited by pellets

I have noticed at once of the 7-Elevens I rarely go to that they had a sign attached to the ceiling that said that if you were doing a number of things you needed to show ID/passport

I believe there were 6 of those listed on the sign and one of them was pay bills

correct me if I'm mistaken (and I haven't read 17 pages of this) but I believe the reason he was asked for ID to pay for grocery was because they scanned the Big C card.

if not they wouldn't bother you for ID

34 minutes ago, pellets said:

Never EVER needed to preset ANY ID to send stuff around in Thailand, OR to Europe.
I am talking about post offices at Jomtien Beach AND the Surin area in Isaan.
Never heard anyone mention this "crazyness" regarding post offices  before!

Any post office in Udon requires it. I've sent a couple of EMS letters to the UK and quite a few parcels to my Thai sister-in-law living in Finland.

Showing my pink ID card works fine.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, treetops said:

Not everyone has that option, and besides, most are probably at the shop they like most, whether that be for price, range, quality, convenience or whatever, so going to another means they're losing out.  That's as dumb as asking for ID when it shouldn't be required.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:56 AM, digger70 said:

You may call that dumb, but hey it takes one to know one ???? , but for us it works I would be calling that Smart . ????

Did you read and understand what I wrote?

I said "not everyone" which indicates some do and some don't.  I'm really chuffed for you that you are in the group that has the option to change without losing out.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not smart and that's what the other group would be doing.  Any warm feeling it gave you would expire quickly in those others, so it'd be dumb.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry, but I could not be bothered to read 6 pages of words from conspiracy theorists.

If this has been said before, I apologise.

Having a Big C membership card entitles you to special offers and discounts.

To prove that you are the genuine owner of the card, and not a 'friend', the staff ask for id. Thai id for a Thai and passport number for a foreigner.

I have been asked for this information for years.

I show my Thai driving licence with my passport number on it and I get an extra discount. (Or a voucher to use in the future.)

I do the same with the Central No 1 card.

Why are people complaining about having to show genuine membership to allow the receiving a discount?

(It may surprise you to know that not all customers are honest!)

Nothing wrong with showing some ID.  But a Passport is a very important document and its contents and information and number should be protected.  If the person had some ID card, hopefully with a photo, then that should be all that is needed.  Now if those membership cards do not have photos on them, then well, just having a card is not really proof of ID.  In that case, than begrudgingly I would agree that the only recourse left is a Passport with the photo in it, except, I doubt very much the clerk even looks at the photo.  The clerk probably just enters the passport number because that is what the clerk was told to do. 

Panic attack is over :biggrin:

Last week purchased stuff at BigC Khon Kaen as usual.

I have my own BigC "customer account" since two years or so, but no card was handed out.

I always show/tell my phone number, then my name shows up on the display.

And that was it.

BUT now: screen is turned towards me.

?

Sign!

So I scribbled my initials on that touch screen and all fine.

Paid with cash.

Edited by KhunBENQ