Big C asks for Passport when purchasing groceries

ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't do cards and always pay cash...if they have any problem at all i just tell them to keep all my shoppings and i walk out...to not come back. I've done it several times already.

You tell em. 

1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

There are two times Big C asked me for any form of identification, and this is also with Thais.

Thais are used to ask for the card for Thai persons or the passport with foreigners.

Foreigners CAN show their plastic ID and Thais CAN show their passport, it is up to what is registered in the system when applying for the member card.

The only one time they asked for my ID is when the system needed an update. I got my member card before the 'full information registration' was needed,

which was the same as with getting new sim cards (Now you need give ID, back then no.) and the card for collecting point at gas and coffee'stations' (Now you need ID when apply, back then no.).

I gave my 'pinky' number and now the Big C membercard is not only registered with phonenumber but also with the (13) ID number.

Second (and recurring) times they ask for the ID is when you want to redeem the collected point on the card for 'cash' to pay the groceries.

Which sound good, no other can use your (lost? stolen? lent?) card and use your point to pay a small part of their bill.

This they will ask the customer before the middle of every year, starting from February if the accumulated points are reasonably high to be able to redeem. As the collected points are valid till the 30th of June.

For promotions like the 100bath off the price when 500thb and up spent in one bill which is printed on the end of one of your last bills, no ID is required but the membercard is.

Tesco members get their collected point converted into coupons which is sent to their registered address. It has the name of the member printed, at Tesco they can check and sometimes ask for any proof of ID. But if the membercard number and coupon name/number match they will mostly accept without asking.

Promotions from the bills, no ID needed.

You know your shopping 

38 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry, but I could not be bothered to read 6 pages of words from conspiracy theorists.

If this has been said before, I apologise.

Having a Big C membership card entitles you to special offers and discounts.

To prove that you are the genuine owner of the card, and not a 'friend', the staff ask for id. Thai id for a Thai and passport number for a foreigner.

I have been asked for this information for years.

I show my Thai driving licence with my passport number on it and I get an extra discount. (Or a voucher to use in the future.)

I do the same with the Central No 1 card.

Why are people complaining about having to show genuine membership to allow the receiving a discount?

(It may surprise you to know that not all customers are honest!)

Correct 

29 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Show me any country where you have to produce a passport to buy groceries.

Yes maybe in North Korea, I've been to most countries in Europe many in Asia

and African,not the US but I never ever need it to show my passport.

Not talking about discounts on certain cards.

You're missing the point. It's about verifying your ID which the benefit card is based upon. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Well, good luck with that.  Because no matter how well you plan, a divorce is still going to suck worse than getting asked for a passport at BigC.

My initial comment was almost that it was not any problem to show ID or Passport at Big C if asked. Can not understand why so many complain about that. No Big D(eal).
So, I don´t get what you are on the divorce train about. Negative dinner?

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Edit:  And it's happened to a lot of guys who are smarter, and planned better, than me.

And, I guess you already figured out what that comment says about you as well as the other guys. Maybe it was too late to edit anyway. ????????????????

12 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I'm from the UK, a pretty sad country these days by anyone's standards but I've never ever been asked for ID when paying for anything with a debit or credit card. We don't even have to carry ID.

The UK is looking less sad in comparision as time moves on.......????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

I hope you knocked on wood as you were posting that.  Because I've followed TVF long enough to see some of the guys who felt the same way devastated when their Thai brides didn't.  The divorce statistics are pretty grim, and many of the stories even grimmer.

Are you saying Matzzon is a farang?

Well I'll be.

Could've sworn judging by his posts that he's Thai.

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So my girlfriend takes the cash from me and hands it to the cashier, and we walk out the door.

Pretty long exhausting thread, when the answer was so simple. 

At least your girlfriend knew how to deal with the situation.

Peace

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I have a BigC card, in fact it is my telephone number.

Last week the cashier told me I had a 20 ThB discount, but she needed to see my passport.

As I didn't had it with me, I didn't get the discount.

I always have to show my thai license, ( has my PP# on it) when getting discounts using my Big C card, nothing new

• Like 1

THE other day I went to my local Family Mart, to pay my T O T internet bill.

WAS ASKED FOR MY PASSPORT (which I did NOT have with me, i never carry passport with me). so was then asked if I have driving licence... I showed it and eventually paid my T O T bill !!

Just what is this place coming to.. ??

Edited by tinca tinca
wrong spelling
  • Like 1

I won't bother reading through more than one page of apparently universally indignant posts. 

BigC: under certain conditions (I dunno - expenditure, number of visits..?) we get a rebate, one time that was ฿400.

However it is evident that they want to see your ID. No Thai ID? Show your passport OR, as in our case at least, your driving license which has your passport number on it. 

You are obliged by law to carry your passport at all times, so hard luck if you don't. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

It's also on the photocopy of his passport that he surely keeps in his wallet..... ????

So many Westerners here really are quite dense. 

No Happy, I do not carry a copy, I only carry my Pink ID card.  Copy is on my Phone, which I did not have with me as I left it at home.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry, but I could not be bothered to read 6 pages of words from conspiracy theorists.

If this has been said before, I apologise.

Having a Big C membership card entitles you to special offers and discounts.

To prove that you are the genuine owner of the card, and not a 'friend', the staff ask for id. Thai id for a Thai and passport number for a foreigner.

I have been asked for this information for years.

I show my Thai driving licence with my passport number on it and I get an extra discount. (Or a voucher to use in the future.)

I do the same with the Central No 1 card.

Why are people complaining about having to show genuine membership to allow the receiving a discount?

(It may surprise you to know that not all customers are honest!)

The responses are understandable given that you need to present a passport at the thai post office to send a birthday card.  And the only thing conspiring here is your lack of understanding of the term and its proper use lol.

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

There was more to this than just paying with a bank card, he wanted the benefit of using his Big C membership card that required ID! 

What have UK card procedures got to do with Big C in Thailand?

Hes obviously had to show ID and jump through hoops to get whatever discount card

One would assume that would NEGATE the need for further info being required not the opposite

But common sense is rare commodity here 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Show me any country where you have to produce a passport to buy groceries.

Yes maybe in North Korea, I've been to most countries in Europe many in Asia

and African,not the US but I never ever need it to show my passport.

Not talking about discounts on certain cards.

The passport is needed to show that you are the owner of the loyalty card. Not to buy the groceries.

Throw the card away and see what happens.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I was asked for my passport in 7-11 last week when I needed to pay two leccy bills. 

Didn't have any ID on me and just cocked a deaf un and held out the dosh.

The chap took the money and proceeded with the transaction.

Just more Thai authority nonsense. Stand your ground Don't curse or swear or smile; let the moment pass. They haven't got the language skills to explain. They will soon give up and take the money.

We are all doomed anyway so let's go out with some self-respect and not bow down to this nonsense. They will want us on our knees before you know it.

I've wondered what would happen if someone simply put down the bill and the money on the counter and walked away when the passport was demanded

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I've wondered what would happen if someone simply put down the bill and the money on the counter and walked away when the passport was demanded

Like this Idea a lot.

Around these parts the dosh would go straight into someone's pocket and the bill put on the side.

Can pay the leccy bill online now so I will not need to put up with this again.

I don't really like 7/11 anyway due to a confrontation way back in the Cricklewood branch before Budgens.

20 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Me too , oh and I pay with money , those funny things you get from an ATM machine.

Beer vouchers !!

I stopped in at Big C last night on me way home to grab some grub for dinner, slapped it all on me Kbank credit card no worries... no passport asked for.

Edited by Don Mega

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So what if I posted on page 1, you were there on page one also and you're still here but you think I should stop commenting?   I'm responding to comments that have been made to me just as you do so I don't need patronising advice or instructions from you!  The OP was stating something that was not true that I responded to, Big C does not require a passport to be produced to buy groceries.

Big bite! hahaha

Such a nonsense topic with the OP + most replying people missing the entire point. 
You do not need a passport at all, this is only to verify the discount card ownership, paying with cash would not have changed that.

Instead the OP could just have shown it and it would be done within seconds. If one doesn't like this, simply do not use discount and member cards. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, BRUFC said:

Put your specs on mate, the OP says.....

'I now handed her the cash, and indicated I was now paying by using cash and not my K bank debit card.  She again indicated she still needed to see the passport.'

Or do you think one can make an extraordinary cash purchase at Big C?

It is possible to make an extraordinary cash purchase if perhaps you were buying a fridge freezer or a high end TV etc that you wouldn't normally buy every bulk shop, but for normal food shopping and wanting to pay in cash, that should never happen.