Better to stay in Thailand a few months in a row, or every other month?

I was considering spending more time in Thailand /Asia
I wondered if it's better to try to spend a few months in Thailand with immigration office visits/Visa runs, then leave the country for a few months, then repeat.
Or, Stay in Thailand one monthly only, then maybe Laos a month, then back to Thailand.. repeating again.

Thanks

OP, in total how many months per year would you like to spend in Thailand. 

There are many different ways to mix up the cocktail. Many folk want as little time as possible out of Thai whereas if your prepared to spend time out (month up) it's easy.

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, in total how many months per year would you like to spend in Thailand. 

There are many different ways to mix up the cocktail. Many folk want as little time as possible out of Thai whereas if your prepared to spend time out (month up) it's easy.

As much as possible I guess.
So at least 6 ?
I stayed for about 7 last year and they said I was pushing it too much - the 7 were pretty much in a row though..
So maybe disappearing for a few weeks after a monthly stay is best...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

So at least 6 ?
I stayed for about 7 last year and they said I was pushing it too much - the 7 were pretty much in a row though..

You can obtain a METV in home country. Gives almost 9 months stay. You would need to exit and reentry.

29 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

If you’re over 50, just get a retirement visa (I know it’s not called that but I think everyone understands what I mean)

Your suggesting a non o. Yes option if he is over 50. Has requirements for extension and the non O.

Edited by DrJack54

On 2/6/2020 at 4:53 AM, theVenerable said:

That would mean going home..
I don't intend to do that very often

No, you don't have to go home, just make a border run.

Edited by Mac98
Spelling error

On 2/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, theVenerable said:

So at least 6 ?

Were you coming in Visa Exempt or did you have a SETV or METV?

On 2/6/2020 at 11:01 AM, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a METV in home country. Gives almost 9 months stay. You would need to exit and reentry.

U will have problem with a multi tourist if u are not travelling around thailand I had problems in  don muaeng they pull me saying  I was live here I use to get a multi tourist visa every year and stay 5 month then go back uk but they would not have it saying I was living here I went to penang and I come back same day and he ask me why did I come back after 1 day u should stay out for a less 1 month and then come so I had the 60 days when I first arrive to thailand and he give me the other 60 days and he said if I ever try to come back on the multi tourist visa I would not be allow in to thailand so becareful they are saying u are use multi tourist to live here and i pay £160 in cardiff and i told him why are they giving to u in the consulate and he said they dont explain the rules and they just want the money and i was not living here i was going home every 5 month and i even show him the flight ticket when i was going home still would not have it

7 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

U will have problem with a multi tourist if u are not travelling around thailand I had problems in  don muaeng they pull me saying  I was live here I use to get a multi tourist visa every year and stay 5 month then go back uk but they would not have it saying I was living here I went to penang and I come back same day and he ask me why did I come back after 1 day u should stay out for a less 1 month and then come so I had the 60 days when I first arrive to thailand and he give me the other 60 days and he said if I ever try to come back on the multi tourist visa I would not be allow in to thailand so becareful they are saying u are use multi tourist to live here and i pay £160 in cardiff and i told him why are they giving to u in the consulate and he said they dont explain the rules and they just want the money and i was not living here i was going home every 5 month and i even show him the flight ticket when i was going home still would not have it

Did this occur at border crossing or airport.

Which location.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Did this occur at border crossing or airport.

Which location.

At don muaeng airport I register at nonthanburi immigration and also I fill out the arrival card with the address in but u cannot fill all of in because no space and 2 or 3 time she ask me where was I staying with my girlfriend so what is the point going  to immigration and register and then they are giving u the third degree I been coming here for the 5 year on multi tourist visa and only stay 5 month no more not 8.9 month  once they pull u on a multi tourist u will have problem and special at at don muaeng because they are looking to give u problems 100% they are like a dog with a bone will not let go  at all I got from them was I was living here it did not matter I had a multi tourist they was not interested I was living here and I was not living here and why did I stay out for only 1 day I said to come back to get my 60 days should have stay out for 1 month and then saying why u got a multi tourist at your age because I only stay 5 month why u  havent a retirement  visa 

35 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

At don muaeng airport I register at nonthanburi immigration and also I fill out the arrival card with the address in but u cannot fill all of in because no space and 2 or 3 time she ask me where was I staying with my girlfriend so what is the point going  to immigration and register and then they are giving u the third degree I been coming here for the 5 year on multi tourist visa and only stay 5 month no more not 8.9 month  once they pull u on a multi tourist u will have problem and special at at don muaeng because they are looking to give u problems 100% they are like a dog with a bone will not let go  at all I got from them was I was living here it did not matter I had a multi tourist they was not interested I was living here and I was not living here and why did I stay out for only 1 day I said to come back to get my 60 days should have stay out for 1 month and then saying why u got a multi tourist at your age because I only stay 5 month why u  havent a retirement  visa 

I asked where you entered to assist others. The OP had already mentioned that he did not wish to return home in order to obtain METV.

I knew before you replied that your problems would have occured at Don Mueang airport as that place is almost at notorious levels of random rubbish.

Without listing them in this thread there are easy SAFE ways to obtaining almost 9 months out of an METV.

With regard to address on arrival card and attending immigration? I assume your referring tm30? That's a side issue and very simple one. 

Edited by DrJack54

if it was me, i would go for 3 months in a row, twice a year.  staying more than 6 months in a year can be problematic.  doing 30 in, 30 out, 30 in can also be problematic (suspected of working).  first 3 months, get one SETV and extend.  leave for 3 months,  return visa exempt, do one border run, extend.  do one border run, don't extend.  don't use DMK, BKK has some risk but less than DMK.  this assumes you are under 50 years of age.  if you enjoy laos and cambodia, land border entries will make life much easier.  i prefer vietnam and philippines so i'd do the other months in those countries.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, theVenerable said:

So at least 6 ?

Are you retired or still in work abroad? I have been doing 6-8 months for years now, and no problem so far, but I have work to go home to. 

6 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

At what timeframes would you be required to exit and reenter? every 90 days?

An METV allows 60 day stay. Each stay can be extended by 30 day = 90 in total.

So one way is 90 then exit then 90 exit then your last 90.

Total 9 month. 

OR 60 exit + 60 exit + 60 exit then finally +60 and one extension 30 = 9 month

Personally I would just exit after 60.

Weekend in Saigon is a buzz and unless really need to stay in Los I don't see the point.

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

er about 90 days if one obtained an extension of 30 days at immigration. After 60 days if one chose not to. 

I think to go and get a exstension and pay 3 time 1900 baht for a stay on 9 months and not get exstension and just go out and get 8 months if u go for the exstension u still must go out and how much will at cost u say in loa at other 1500 baht plus the 1900 baht at like 3400 baht if u go across land