Mountain Bike Trail on Pratumnak Hill ?

WaveHunter

Doe anyone have directions to (offroad / non paved) mountain bike trails on Pratumnak Hill?  I know they exist but can never find them.  I've seen some videos on YouTube showing people riding them and I know they have had championship races on them but nobody seems to share location or directions.

I would really like to find them, or any off-road dirt trails to ride nearby.  I know about the Khao Mai Kaeo Trails but I'm looking for something closer to Pratumnak and Jomtien.

If anybody can help with a map, GPS track, detailed directions, or whatever, I would really appreciate it.  I really hate riding the roads around Pattaya or anything paved.  Just prefer riding through the woods if you get my drift.

Thanks 

Edited by WaveHunter

No real trails there, but yes in the past they organized a few times some mountain bike competition there, so they created tracks, but never maintained and vegetation quickly took over them. You still see some small wooden-bridges that allowed them to ride over the culvert where the MB trails cross the pedestrian paved tracks.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd be surprised if there is anything at Pratamak, i walk and cycle around there and never seen guys riding off-road

As I said, they conduct a championship downhill race there annually, and youtube videos have been posted of people riding through the woods on the Hill, so I know the trails exists...but where is the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBm6mmLWV8

Riders tackle the challenging 6.5km mix-terrain course on Pratumnak Hill.

image.png.69bb2eda5e5d9b5c28d478e267b9fc67.png

Edited by WaveHunter

43 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

No real trails there, but yes in the past they organized a few times some mountain bike competition there, so they created tracks, but never maintained and vegetation quickly took over them. You still see some small wooden-bridges that allowed them to ride over the culvert where the MB trails cross the pedestrian paved tracks.

Sad ????

Does anyone know any wooded unpaved trails to ride on?  There must be somewhere to ride that isn't paved with insane traffic.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Sad ????

Does anyone know any wooded unpaved trails to ride on?  There must be somewhere to ride that isn't paved with insane traffic.

i think trail/mountain biking is a niche sport here. the biking seems to be more of the paved road riding. my feelings are you would need to goto a national park somewhere to find a dedicated trail where biking is allowed. even when i lived in chiang mai it was a struggle finding suitable paths, most of the time i ended up just riding on the road like everyone else.

thais would rather be in crowds/on the road where there are lots of people around and you likely would not see many solo biking on mountain trails like you would in other countries.

24 minutes ago, fhickson said:

i think trail/mountain biking is a niche sport here. the biking seems to be more of the paved road riding. my feelings are you would need to goto a national park somewhere to find a dedicated trail where biking is allowed. even when i lived in chiang mai it was a struggle finding suitable paths, most of the time i ended up just riding on the road like everyone else.

thais would rather be in crowds/on the road where there are lots of people around and you likely would not see many solo biking on mountain trails like you would in other countries.

Yep, guess you're right.  I have been living in Chiang Mai and it took me months to find trails to ride and it was almost like it was a secret to find directions to them (most that I found are on Doi Suthep and a little scary but still fun to ride on). 

If you ever make it back to Chiang Mai and want to find them I have GPS tracks for all.  Just to give you an idea, here they are:

870457229_snapshot_2020-02-07at12_00_27PM.thumb.jpg.e95bb831c4354f44ec8a4c003d3d00da.jpg

• Thanks 1

That image of the bikes looks more like the trails out at Khao Mai Keao Reservation Park off 3240, google it or search in Google Maps or Google Earth if you don't know where it is, heaps of trails out there.

Edited by Pungdo

26 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

That image of the bikes looks more like the trails out at Khao Mai Keao Reservation Park off 3240, google it or search in Google Maps or Google Earth if you don't know where it is, heaps of trails out there.

Thanks but as I said in my opening post I already know about Khao Mai Keao; I was just hoping to find something a little closer to town, and mhy condo is just a few minutes by bike to Pratumnak Hill ????

That picture BTW was from a official press release so I am pretty sure it is Pratumnak Hill.

Also, if you look at the YouTube video, you can tell for certain the trail is on Pratumnak hill by various landmarks when the rider pops out of the woods and onto that cobblestone kind of road you see all over Pratumnak Hill, and then back into the woods. 

Yeah, that trail is definitely somewhere on Pratumnak Hill...I just can't figure out where.

LOL...the big mystery of Pratumnak Hill!  hahahah!

MAYBE, if somebody that really knows Pratumnak Hill well can take a look at that YouTube video they can tell me where the trail is.  I mean there are plenty of landmarks that pop into screen as the guy emerges from the woods, but I just don't know the Hill well enough to figure it out. 

I'd sure appreciate it if somebody could help because it actually  looks like a really nice, fairly long and heavily wooded trail that would be fun to ride!

Edited by WaveHunter

That trail uses / cross's the lookout road. I'd suggest you ride along that road from the eastern side and look for the stairs the rider goes up on both sides of the road.  Looks like it starts somewhere down near the half built Waterfront tower condo complex.

The entrance is on the left before you get to the Tourist Police Building heading down hill towards Bali Hai. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Go to the mountain top and make your own trail downwards but keep a high speed  just to outrace the you chasing aggressive stray-dog packs !

Yeah, some of those doggys don't play nice at all!  The ones on the jogging path aren't so bad; I guess they're use to peeps.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Some great riding 15K out near Buddha Mountain.

Yes, I've ridden out there often.  It's just how long it takes to get out there that's a problem. There's a lot to see out there though; nice ride if you have the whole day to ride out and back. 

Anyone with a bike and a day to kill should definitely head out there!

I loved seeing the upside down house, complete even with the upside down car ???? That cracked me up the first time I saw it.

44312433534_117d905c40_b.jpg.72969b8b6992b4bacfaae0e5672c5ba3.jpg

2056252535_snapshot_2020-02-07at5_20_55PM.jpg.8217b9df6c0c362f504d33acf795bbf2.jpg

The Buddha Mountain, when you see it the first time is certainly impressive

44312435254_e5479eeb79_b.jpg.aa87510e7d9c70c7b37a2b2480fcd4b9.jpg

and the Siri Charoenwat Forest is wonderful even if it is all paved. 

Still though, just want a place closer to town for quick rides at lunch or end of day.

Edited by WaveHunter

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

As I said, they conduct a championship downhill race there annually, and youtube videos have been posted of people riding through the woods on the Hill, so I know the trails exists...but where is the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBm6mmLWV8

Riders tackle the challenging 6.5km mix-terrain course on Pratumnak Hill.

image.png.69bb2eda5e5d9b5c28d478e267b9fc67.png

1.40 and 2.56 is mad dog alli on Strava, you should be able to work it out from there, cycle about and look.

Dropped pin
Near Na Kluea, Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nvxwSEygN72tZLa58

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

1.40 and 2.56 is mad dog alli on Strava, you should be able to work it out from there, cycle about and look.

Dropped pin
Near Na Kluea, Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nvxwSEygN72tZLa58

Wow, Thank you so much.  I found it on Strava!  Don't like the name "Mad Dog Alley" though.  I've had some run ins with some pretty nasty dogs on Pratumnak Hill.  I have run-ins in Chiang Mai too, but one run in on Pratumnak Hill was truly scary because the dogs didn't back down at all and chased me uphill for a kilometer before I lost them.  I didn't have my Strava on but I bet I got a PR out of that chase ????    Guess I better make sure my Rabies shots are up to date LOL.  Anyway, Thanks!

Edited by WaveHunter

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Wow, Thank you so much.  I found it on Strava!  Don't like the name "Mad Dog Alley" though.  I've had some run ins with some pretty nasty dogs on Pratumnak Hill.  I have run-ins in Chiang Mai too, but one run in on Pratumnak Hill was truly scary because the dogs didn't back down at all and chased me uphill for a kilometer before I lost them.  I didn't have my Strava on but I bet I got a PR out of that chase ????    Guess I better make sure my Rabies shots are up to date LOL.  Anyway, Thanks!

Mad Dog Alley has 20+ dogs but they seem to be friendlier than other sois on Pratamak. I cycle there no problem and i see walkers

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Go to the mountain top and make your own trail downwards but keep a high speed  just to outrace the you chasing aggressive stray-dog packs !

and keep an eye out for the King Cobras on the way down

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VYCM said:

and keep an eye out for the King Cobras on the way down

Yikes! ????  Seriously...king cobras?  You're kidding (I hope), right?

I was out riding on a prairie trail in Florida once and ran over what I thought was a big tree branch laying across the trail.  When I glanced back and saw it slither off into the tall grass I realized it was a snake.  I don't know what type but it was, but it was really big, and really freaked me out! 

I don't know what it is about big snakes, but they give me a sense of primal fear that goes to the core!  

Edited by WaveHunter