Coronavirus: UK Government issues travel advice to Brits returning from Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

And don't let a few members on here trick you into thinking that a massive distrust of the CCP means you must not like Chinese people. A classic diversion tactic.

The far queue is for those that like Chinese in Thailand.

• Haha 1

I have come to the conclusion that the public are not being told the whole truth about the numbers and the potential that this virus has, because governments around the world don't want to create panic among the masses, that said, with 1.4 billion people in China, I am worried.

30,000 infected now, and the death toll has surpassed all other viruses of late, in only 8 weeks.

This number is going to explode I am sorry to say, as for the rest of the world, if they don't shut down their borders soon, regardless, history might just repeat itself., remember 1918, I did read somewhere that 1/3 of the world's population was wiped out back then with the Spanish flu, that said, passenger planes didn't really start taking off till about a year after that in the 1920's, and now we have around 100,000 flights worldwide per day.

Scary stuff in my opinion, although Google is saying that the flu (influenza) kills around 500,000 plus people worldwide per year, but we hardly read about that in the news, so what are we to make of all of this ? 

I think I better shut my computer down and go put my head back in the sand, as the saying goes, no news is good news ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

Sis is a A&E nurse, i am returning on 30 March to stay with my 97 year old dad  for a while (she's going on holiday)

She's not the panicking sort but i  have a feeling i will be getting further instructions!

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So when I go back will I get free NHS if I get ill or shall I just cover up any symptoms? ????????????

Chicken George i detect a modest amount of sarcasm, but of course  completely true, i think it would be better to own up and look big when(and if you survive, don't pay on admission ) you are discharged, after all its only 150% of the tariff and if like me you only paid in for 50 years even if it does  seem unreasonable.

When will the threat of coronavirus end? It might return every winter

"Last week, researchers from the University of Hong Kong estimated 75,815 had been infected in Wuhan as of Jan. 25 and projected the epidemic would double every 6.4 days."

Boy, those Chinese sure are good at math. ????

Feb 1 ~ 151,630

Feb 7 ~ 303,260

Feb 14 ~ 606,520

Feb 21 ~ 1,213,040

Feb 27 ~ 2,426,080

Mar 05 ~ 4,852,160

Mar 12 ~ 9,704,320

Mar 19 ~ 19,408,640

Mar 26 ~ 38,817,280

Apr 02 ~ 77,634,560

Apr 09 ~ 155,269,120

Apr 16 ~ 310,538,240

Apr 23 ~ 621,076,480

May 01 ~ 1,242,152,960

Just like McDonald's, over 1 Billion served by the beginning of summer.  

Let's hope Coronavirus is seasonal, just like other respiratory viruses.  

And luckily, it spares children, which is good for the future. ✓

Why the New Coronavirus (Mostly) Spares Children

7 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So when I go back will I get free NHS if I get ill or shall I just cover up any symptoms? ????????????

It won't be free it will probably be sold off by the time you arrive back

I had all these symptoms at the beginning of Jan when i got home from a 3 day visit near rayong  self home care for me, and thanks to my wife who went to our local hospital with an empty oxy tank i used years ago recovering from TB .she came back with an oxygen concentrator loaned for 200 baht after one week i was CURED lol. Think it was bronchitis Phew ????.

• Like 1

When/if we get to uk in April if my wife sneezes once I'm calling it in and get two peaceful quiet weeks on my own.

Tip.

If you feel that you are going to start sneezing or coughing take a double dose of laxative. That will for sure stop you doing either.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

I'm due to be flying home to UK in April.  Family phoned yesteday to try & get me to cancel.  Up here outside Chiang Mai, we've been pretty much isolated for a couple of months due to the filthy air pollution.  Was looking forward to some fresh air on the yorkshire moors ????

4 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I'm due to be flying home to UK in April.  Family phoned yesteday to try & get me to cancel.  Up here outside Chiang Mai, we've been pretty much isolated for a couple of months due to the filthy air pollution.  Was looking forward to some fresh air on the yorkshire moors ????

Same timing as me. Not sure, who is? how quickly things might change and what the 'rules' will be by that time.

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Same timing as me. Not sure, who is? how quickly things might change and what the 'rules' will be by that time.

Yeah.  Checked on emirates website & can cancel up to day of flights, but lose 5000bt per ticket & all the advance rail tickets can be thrown in the bin.

Yes, stuff can change quickly, but at the moment I think media is whipping up a hysteria storm.

Edited by Samuel Smith

9 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

Yeah.  Checked on emirates website & can cancel up to day of flights, but lose 5000bt per ticket & all the advance rail tickets can be thrown in the bin.

Yes, stuff can change quickly, but at the moment I think media is whipping up a hysteria storm.

There's a lot of us in that same position, trying to book travel with confidence is going to be difficult. I suspect there is little chance the UK would embargo flights from Thailand because Bangkok is a key aviation hub, doing so would close down huge amounts of international traffic. I suppose quarantine in a risk but seems unlikely given the large number of people involved.

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

There's a lot of us in that same position, trying to book travel with confidence is going to be difficult. I suspect there is little chance the UK would embargo flights from Thailand because Bangkok is a key aviation hub, doing so would close down huge amounts of international traffic. I suppose quarantine in a risk but seems unlikely given the large number of people involved.

At the moment, my problem is with family back home reading the Daily Telegraph ????