Farangs who don’t wear face masks should be kicked out of Thailand says health minister

webfact

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:
1 hour ago, nong38 said:

The UK health authorities last week said that face masks are almost useless.

Exactly - He has publicly made a fool of himself, which undermines both national and international publics' confidence in Thailand's ability to deal with this situation.

Peer reviewed papers on airborne aerosols suggest the Thai minister is better informed than you or the unverified quote from UK health workers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3901511/

https://respiratory-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12931-019-0970-9

Just in case, summary:  Humans produce a wealth of small aerosol particles just by breathing and talking all the time. The average size is about 0.7 to 1.0 microns. When in public with infected people, masks help reduce these particles especially from infected people who wear masks. These particles are generated by rapid opening and closing of millions of tiny airways deep in the lungs.

Lots of posted mis-information. The CDC clearly states you don't need to wear a mask yet, because there aren't infected people walking around yet. LOL.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Peer reviewed papers on airborne aerosols suggest the Thai minister is better informed than you or the unverified quote from UK health workers.

https://respiratory-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12931-019-0970-9

Just in case, summary:  Humans produce a wealth of small aerosol particles just by breathing and talking all the time. The average size is about 0.7 to 1.0 microns. When in public with infected people, masks help reduce these particles especially from infected people. These particles are generated by rapid opening and closing of millions of tiny airways deep in the lungs.

Lots of posted mis-information. The CDC clearly states you don't nned to wear a mask yet because there aren't people walking around yet. LOL.

Like the minister, it would appear that you are unable to understand a medical paper or the kind of masks or tests that were applied to them.

Those papers do nothing to change the situation and neither do they recommend the wearing of masks in this situation.

PS - where are the peer reviews???

Edited by Airbagwill

10 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Like the minister, it would appear that you are unable to understand a medical paper or the kind of masks or tests that were applied to them.

Those papers do nothing to change the situation and neither do they recommend the wearing of masks in this situation.

Please show clearly where the papers claim masks are not needed. They don't, they even say you need better masks. 

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

these sound like the words of a loon ..... who do you think "WE" is?

"We" are the people who are proud to be who we are.

We do not have to lower ourselves or drop to our knees.

If the virus really takes hold in Thailand we will need to be prepared. Flying out might not be an option. We need to help each other and hold our heads high.

Stay safe. Stay strong, stay together. With nationwide self-help groups set up we can see this through.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

Please show clearly where the papers claim masks are not needed. They don't, they even say you need better masks. 

This is a pretty confused comment.....showing a worrying lack of understanding of how to get information on this disease. It's up to you to inform yourself properly of the situation not demand that others do.

By "papers" I presume you mean newspapers - they say just about anything you want.

Which is why you need is to look at the sources they are using - e.g. the WHO et al and research into masks or at least an authoritative secondary or tertiary source.

It is a problem at present that people are making assumptions based on ignorance - may I suggest they just spend a little time engaging their critical thinking faculties and work this out for themselves.

They will soon realise that masks - especially the surgical type that is seen in abundance everywhere are not worth the paper they are made of.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

In Thailand, I stand tall alone. Never wai'd anyone and always wear my shorts (no undies) when visiting immigration. And I will not wear a mask!

Obviously it would not apply to you Danny, but for the farang that do it's best to put them in a microwave every 15 minutes. Otherwise they become useless.

Another tip that I learned about masks is to keep a clothe of garlic in the mask when they are not being used.

And general things to avoid is sharing toothbrushes, toothpicks and chopsticks until the virus has burnt out. Also putting plastic bags on the feet if you are suspect to getting athlete's foot is well worth it.

And a decent gargle with lao khow before putting on the mask will deal with any little nasties that might slip through your defences.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Obviously it would not apply to you Danny, but for the farang that do it's best to put them in a microwave every 15 minutes. Otherwise they become useless.

Another tip that I learned about masks is to keep a clothe of garlic in the mask when they are not being used.

And general things to avoid is sharing toothbrushes, toothpicks and chopsticks until the virus has burnt out. Also putting plastic bags on the feet if you are suspect to getting athlete's foot is well worth it.

And a decent gargle with lao khow before putting on the mask will deal with any little nasties that might slip through your defences.

Your Coming Out of the Closet?

How much of the deadly stuff do you drink every day?

Or are you one of these people like Bill Clinton who- under pressure- said that he smoked pot, but he never inhaled it? ( I'm kidding). 

Last time you tried kicking people out of your country you later begged them to come and offer visa-free but this time try it again then you will know that a tree cannot make a forest, be careful many of you in power have no sorry concerned what people are passing through, I think you want to sale ur mask, then don't impose on people 

On 2/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, InsertNameHere said:

This is a world issue not an ethnicity/race/color/etc. 

It is an ethnicity and culture issue, and also a world issue.

Different ethnic groups are prone to different illnesses.

Different cultures have different levels of hygiene "traditions",  some of which increase risk of spreading disease. Not everyone wants to celebrate their viral diversity or bacterial cultural enrichment.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, InsertNameHere said:

I have been in and around here (not a tourists) and while he speaks about eastern people the same can be said about their own people as I see many not wearing or taking concern about these issues. When me and the wife go out I notice many people look at us wearing masks outside like their is something wrong. So, the issue starts with awareness and educating the public. There has been countless mis-information on social media and main stream news mainly caused by the west. Kicking out people from a country solves nothing.

The masks are mostly useless, because infections pass via particles landing on people's eyeballs; and by transfer through unwashed hands, other areas of skin, and unwashed clothing, and dirty masks.

Moreover, it's probably better to boost your immune system and personal hygiene practices.

8 hours ago, rabas said:

You are joking? That Health Minister is not qualified to contradict international medical experts (who you are effectively attempting to cite).

I wear a mask because the air quality here in Chiang Mai is in the red (dangerous-level).

I see a lot of locals wearing a mask but not sure if its because of Coronavirus - which one may have a greater chance of winning the lottery than contracting it in a local Moo Baan or because they realize that pulmonary disease and stroke is a very real and likely health issue in their future if they don't protect themselves now......mmm...just never know with Thais.

Under current condition,,would never wear a mask

1.  their are much more dangerous sickness here, what makes me more scarred, just look at the headline of the tread

2. daily driving and other is more dangerous (influenca,foodpoison and other)

3. and even a mask would not reduce the risk in an effective way even

12 hours ago, codebunny said:

You are joking? That Health Minister is not qualified to contradict international medical experts (who you are effectively attempting to cite).

I quoted 2 scientific papers that measured and describe the physics and chemistry of aerosol sprays generated by human lungs. It is pretty simple. In this case I am simply the messenger.  You can read them yourself. It's not that hard.

The most important take away is that the lungs generate a constant aerosol and the average particle size is 0.7 to 1.0 microns.

Edited by rabas

On 2/7/2020 at 2:50 PM, BobbyL said:

Xenophobia is alive and well in the Thai government. Heaven forbid they dare criticise their Chinese overlords! 

It is highly amusing that -  

1: This virus will further spread in Thailand due to their incompetence

2: He isn't wearing a mask himself 

3: No westerner in Thailand has had the virus (only Chinese and Thais)

4: I guess he didn't understand WHO's recent press release in English about masks not being a necessary prevention

Utterly embarrassing on so many levels by this simpleton.

It's not like us Chinese would appreciate this guy - he adamantly suggests ban Chinese tourists while other Thai officials & WHO & Chinese gov all adwise not to

Edited by Coremouse

15 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

I wear a mask because the air quality here in Chiang Mai is in the red (dangerous-level).

...and unless it's N95 spec or similar it is totally useless - and not changing it as soon as it is damp is even worse.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

I quoted 2 scientific papers that measured and describe the physics and chemistry of aerosol sprays generated by human lungs.

one assumes that you quoted them because you thought they were eleven, when in fact they were just misleading - or at least you failed to read them correctly and were misled.

1 hour ago, Coremouse said:

It's not like us Chinese would appreciate this guy - he adamantly suggests ban Chinese tourists while other Thai officials & WHO & Chinese gov all adwise not to

Any link to that? I don't recall seeing him saying that. 

24 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Any link to that? I don't recall seeing him saying that. 

He proposed a suspension of the VOA for Chinese tourists but the proposal was rejected by the Cabinet. So, suddenly he changed his mind and instead said this:

"and a decision not to impose a travel ban will have “a positive result” on Thai-Chinese relations in the future."

Suddenly relations between the two countries were more important than stopping the Coronavirus from spreading,which was what he initially wanted.

• Like 1