Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Farangs who don’t wear face masks should be kicked out of Thailand says health minister

webfact

1 hour ago, KamalaRider said:

Farangs aren't just Europeans, it's all foreigners, but Thai have started to leave out Chinese as farangs, don't get why though.

Oh, could it be the high so Chinese families running Thailand ?

No, farang is white people. 

Farang comes from farangset which was the word in sanskrit for Frankish people. 

The word is used throughout South East Asia to describe whites from Europe.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:46 AM, Beggar said:

This is correct. VERY many Farangs do not use a mask. Are they too stupid or immortal? And as hard as it might sound - such ignorant and naive tourists pose a danger to others in Thailand. 

What a total idiot get a life sad person

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Vacuum said:

AN.jpg

Why don't you wear one?

As a friend who is a doctor said to me that bacteria is so small we need a microscope to see it and virus particles are so small bacteria would need a microscope to see it. The cheap disposable masks are a total waste of time

How ignorant.

If you are not sick why would you need a mask?

Evidence is coming to light that (1) Asian males particularly that (2) smoke are most inclined to pick up the virus.

It is believed that Caucasian males are least so and may even have enzyme that provides some resistance.

Obviously old, young and those with compromised immune systems.

Last time I caught a bad cold was three years ago. Before that I don't even know. Six years of teaching never missed a full day due to any illness.

But no one needs a mask for anything other than the dreadful pollution that the government refuses to address unless sick.

Finally, even n95 masks are of no protection from virus.

Surgical masks protect the patient not the surgeon.

Health minister lacking common science knowledge readily found with three minutes searching on the interwebs.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

did not read all the posts, 56 pages... but
if the Thai Ministry of Health gives a different advice from the W.H.O., one should take into consideration that Thailand already some time ago had the situation under control. (all according to Government sources) 
F.Y.I.

39 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

No, farang is white people. 

Farang comes from farangset which was the word in sanskrit for Frankish people. 

The word is used throughout South East Asia to describe whites from Europe.

Try researching instead of spouting rubbish. There is an old wives tales of the use of Farang to discribe white people: it is that when the first white people who were French started going to Thailand for trade etc and not walking street, the Thai's had a a problem saying Francaise/French and the word Farang was used which coincidentally is a apple like fruit with very white flesh! I personally find it very offensive and cringe when it is used by white non thai's to discribe themselves or compatriots. 

18 minutes ago, retoohs said:

As a friend who is a doctor said to me that bacteria is so small we need a microscope to see it and virus particles are so small bacteria would need a microscope to see it. The cheap disposable masks are a total waste of time

Of course loss of face masks are even rarer in LOGs , land of grins

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:58 AM, El Matador said:

Ok good.

On one hand, they don't want to hurt Chinese tourists feelings and keep allowing them despite high risk for their health system.

On the other hand, they have that xenophobic attitude with farangs still staying in the country.

Well I am changing my travel plans, I will visit another country this year. With this anti-westerner attitude, they show they are just a bad copy of their new Chinese master. They should replace English with Chinese language in their schools too to be more polite to them. It is crazy to see Vietnam acting better towards westerners and not allowing Chinese visas despite being a communist country who got one of the biggest war in the 20st century.

Almost all the Asian countries are similar. None of them really wants any westerners in their countries. Some will tolerate westerners only as long as they need them

The moment they think they don't need you, they encourage you to leave

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Try researching instead of spouting rubbish. There is an old wives tales of the use of Farang to discribe white people: it is that when the first white people who were French started going to Thailand for trade etc and not walking street, the Thai's had a a problem saying Francaise/French and the word Farang was used which coincidentally is a apple like fruit with very white flesh! I personally find it very offensive and cringe when it is used by white non thai's to discribe themselves or compatriots. 

That is patent nonsense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

No it is not. Try doing a little real research and not Google. OMG! TRY ASKING THAIS WHY!!! 

No need, I have studied and known the origin of the word for over 30 years. 

A similar word is used in Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries.

All from the same origin.

I am so sad that Thailand couldnt benefit from the big plan with the Chinese and Indians,...and yet again he is kicking out foreigners,... "Europeans" because "Asians" all wear masks,...you couldnt expect so xenophobic answer from Health Minister, i just wonder why he didnt gave free masks when PM 2.5 were crazy high...

Its all seen that they are so angry because their plan with China didnt go through they will kick out all other foreigners, i will really reconsider about future in Thailand racism everywhere even at Health ministry who should really be neutral about this.

Its easy to kick foreigners out now but if there would be no US troops in Thailand, Pattaya would still be fishing village.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm... it has always intrigued me that some Thais think they are so much better than farangs. I have never seen evidence of this. Has anybody else?

No. Not at all intriguing. After a relatively short period of 2 years in their institutions, what intrigued me more were the educated westerners who blindfolded themselves to some of the questions I was asking myself. There is a certain mindset I noticed, in the workplace, who won't question anything that leads to conflict or negativity. Any rational thinking westerner, would have to be either blind, or in denial, not to seriously question aspects about Thais and their values. I witnessed in education, some sense of understanding of the fundamental differences, in the thinking processes of their own people, and us. That was refreshing. I can therefore make the supposition that what "we" represent, at least in education, is more than financial dependability. Most Thais will not know our history, and how we came to value rational thought over superstition. As far as any Thai who is deluded in their belief that they have a set of superior superstitious values... whether Buddhist or other... that makes them somehow "better" than us, is laughable. And there are many.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yes, I would be very interested to have @Yinn's comment on the video.

I have already shown the video to 3 Thai friends who are Thai social media junkies yet claimed not to have seen the video. Unanimous comment, "Very rude". All refused to comment further. I got the impression that they were very embarrassed.

He an idiot. 

Many TVF member like him because he the ganga guy. 

I am not embarrassed, I not say it. You embarrassed everything every English guy say? 

Welcome to Thailand everyone! 

i see many comment “som nam na thailand” because we care Chinese to much. We not care chinese more than farang, but more Chinese come. 

We should ignore/ban them because SOME farang not like them. NO!

EVERY country welcome to Thailand!

Enjoy your stay!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

He an idiot. 

Many TVF member like him because he the ganga guy. 

I am not embarrassed, I not say it. You embarrassed everything every English guy say? 

Welcome to Thailand everyone! 

i see many comment “som nam na thailand” because we care Chinese to much. We not care chinese more than farang, but more Chinese come. 

We should ignore/ban them because SOME farang not like them. NO!

EVERY country welcome to Thailand!

Enjoy your stay!

Not many TVF members like him at all. He's a government minister who referred to farangs as "ai farang" and threatend to have them thrown out of Thailand for not wearing masks, which are completely useless. If an English politician made a remark like this he would lose his job. My Thai friends and family are very embarrased by what he has said.

And yes, you should ban Chinese visitors whilst the threat of corona virus exists. Other countries have. The greatest threat, outside China, is to Thailand.

Edited by DannyCarlton

7 minutes ago, codebunny said:

...openly showing what a minority of Thai citizens think of "us"; most Thai citizens seem to quite like farang, and certainly seem to prefer them as customers to the alternatives, from what they tell me.

How many will that be, given the range of bad-news stories coming out at the moment?

Are you suggesting something about Chinese-Thais or do you mean something else?

Is that the Chinese minister for health?

The majority of Thai people like having farang customers, even if a noisy minority of Thai citizens are farangaphobic.

My post was aimed at the health minister and the health minister only. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, google seems to have removed all links to the scientific publication, claiming it is racist.

It was there last week, I read it and it made sense.

Unfortunately we live in an age where equality is more important than science.

Found another link to the original Chinese research paper.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

"The lung cells of east asians contains 5x as much ACE2 enzyme genes which are used by the coronavirus as an entry mechanism to cells. This would explain why very less H2H transmission and even lesser amount of death reported outside east asia region."

They checked 1 Asian male donor while the whole test group was 8 persons, not really representative to come to a scientific conclusion:

We also noticed that the only Asian donor (male) has a much higher ACE2-expressing cell ratio than white and African American donors (2.50% vs. 0.47% of all cells).

A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.

Edited by FritsSikkink

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not many TVF members like him at all. He's a government minister who referred to farangs as "ai farang" and threatend to have them thrown out of Thailand for not wearing masks, which are completely useless. If an English politician made a remark like this he would lose his job. My Thai friends and family are very embarrased by what he has said.

And yes, you should ban Chinese visitors whilst the threat of corona virus exists. Other countries have. The greatest threat, outside China, is to Thailand.

IMO coronavirus is big OVERreaction. 

NOBODY die in thailand. 

Everyone panic. For what? 

More people have flu. More people die flu. 

* maybe I wrong. IMO

• Like 1
  • Sad 1