Change in evaluation criteria bumps number of suspected virus cases to 615

webfact

Change in evaluation criteria bumps number of suspected virus cases to 615

By The Nation

800_f158f548eb7df2e.jpg?v=1581061941

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoen, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said on Friday (February 7) there were now 615 people in Thailand suspected of carrying the 2019-nCoV coronavirus.

The number of confirmed cases remained unchanged at 25, with 16 being treated in hospital and the other nine recovered and released.

Suwannachai attributed the rise in suspected cases to updated criteria generating more details and redefining the term “suspected”. 

The Thais flown home this week from China’s central Hubei province, where the virus outbreak began, fall into two categories, he said – four people suspected of being infected but awaiting lab tests to verify earlier indications they were safe, and the rest, by far the most, who appear healthy but will remain under observation for more than another week. 

Two of the returnees have begun showing signs of infection and now occupy isolation rooms at hospitals in Chonburi and Sattahip, he said.

Mental Health Department chief Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit said the 138 returnees were all feeling stress and three were showing symptoms of depression. The mental condition of all returnees is being continuously monitored, he said.

Suwannachai said an infected Chinese tourist being treated at Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok has improved, while a 70-year-old Thai bus driver remains on a ventilator because he also has tuberculosis.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381762

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-07

They need to get their terminology straight. And one, single person or organization should be issuing public information.

Is this 615 "suspected carrier" ffigure different from the previously reported "PUI" figure(s).

Where are these 615 people?

• Like 2

It's 8 PM.... and they are late for the daily report.

The last entry is for february.... 5th.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Now, since this press conference happened today we could assume that the "615 suspected" are... the "PUI" ("People who met the criteria of patients under investigation") ?

Those PUI were... at 595 on the report of february 5th...

So is that a "bump" ( a mere... +20 in one 1 day) ?

in that case, why the director would talk about "updated criteria" ?

Or should we understand that the thai authorities have created yet another sub-group... "suspected cases" ?

????

So we would have "confirmed", "suspected" and then "PUI" ?

Anyway. Here are the past data.

Date.... confirmed... PUI added.... total PUI

February 5    25    46    595
February 4    25    57    549
February 3    19    7    492
February 2    19    103    485
February 1    19    38    382
January 31    19    64    344
January 30    14    78    280
January 29    14    44    202
January 28    14    22    158
January 27    8    13    136
January 26    8    18    102

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

It's 8 PM.... and they are late for the daily report.

The last entry is for february.... 5th.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Now, since this press conference happened today we could assume that the "615 suspected" are... the "PUI" ("People who met the criteria of patients under investigation") ?

Those PUI were... at 595 on the report of february 5th...

So is that a "bump" ( a mere... +20 in one 1 day) ?

in that case, why the director would talk about "updated criteria" ?

Or should we understand that the thai authorities have created yet another sub-group... "suspected cases" ?

????

So we would have "confirmed", "suspected" and then "PUI" ?

Anyway. Here are the past data.

Date.... confirmed... PUI added.... total PUI

February 5    25    46    595
February 4    25    57    549
February 3    19    7    492
February 2    19    103    485
February 1    19    38    382
January 31    19    64    344
January 30    14    78    280
January 29    14    44    202
January 28    14    22    158
January 27    8    13    136
January 26    8    18    102

Interesting.

But the maths are soon not going to make any sense. Where are all these PUI's going - they either move to Confirmed cases or they are clear of the virus...

...they need another column, PUIWANLUI - People Under Investigation Who Are No Longer Under Investigation.

And how long does someone stay on PUI - 14 days maximum technically - so that ones from the 26th need to find a column to go under soon and that PUI needs to start being allocated and going lower...

• Haha 1

Right now doesn't seem like the ideal time to re-define the word 'suspected'.

Seems like counting how many angels are dancing on the head of one particular pin.

Still, I don't know why I should be surprised. I don't think I should be.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

It's probably endemic in Thailand already, given the number of Chinese visitors. The real problem will arise when they start quarantining returning tourists. That will put the kabosh on Thailand's tourism industry totally. Get out now. I'll take my chances, survived most stuff - measles, mumps, all the usual childhhood diseases; if this does for me then my time has come; hopefully, my immune system is still resilient enough to deal with some stupid Chinese disease. 

I will be staying put, getting on an airplane is a bad idea IMHO (if not now, very shortly).

You might have to pay for healthcare though since it is very likely if it gets to expensive or threatens to be it won't be covered as it is an act of god.

9 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Seems like counting how many angels are dancing on the head of one particular pin.

probably a poor translation.  It likely is 600+ that the model indicates is a likely number of people infected.

27 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I think Anutin thinks different according to his recent outburst.

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I dunno but I think this disease is pretty clever look what it's done to China and Thailand.Almost like it was engineered that way.

Well, I don't know about the medical science behind it but from what I gather there is a difference in ACE2 - not gender or race based but higher in those that smoke... and 48% of Chinese men smoke... which because of lower initial oxygenation and this ACE2 thing (again I have little knowledge of) put them at higher risk. 

Also, it is beginning to look like it is also out in the wild in the US (but the numbers are not reflecting that - maybe lost traceability on some).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes just waiting for them to announce "a Thai woman who works in a bar in Pattaya as being under observation". 

Amazing it has not happened yet.  

It may have already happened but they will be careful not to say it ... until the next day when it will be known anyway.