Toward a new ice age...or maybe not...

Brunolem

For months now, the deniers brigade, well represented on this forum, has claimed that, thanks to a solar minimum, the world was ready to enter into a new ice age.

Well, things are not shaping up as expected by the CO2 aficionados, since January 2020 was the hottest on record!

Go figure...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/02/03/warmth-is-really-unheard-much-eastern-europe-including-helsinki-moscow-saw-warmest-january-record/

New Ice Age , I don't think so,just in reports from Antarctica the hottest

temperature ever recorded, On the Tv show Below Zero, people living

near the Arctic Circle are reporting everything is melting,Caribou are

not around anymore.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brunolem said:

January 2020 was the hottest on record!

And what exactly does that prove? I think almost nothing.

I know the climate is changing. There are enough well educated scientist all over the world with lots of evidence.

My point is that one hot month is statistically irrelevant.

Imagine next year January would be in average 1 degree cooler. What would that mean? Following your logic the climate change deniers could say: see, it's getting cooler again. 

I guess we agree that that argument that if it is one year cooler than last year means very little. And consequently one month in one year being the hottest means also little. What counts is the long term statistic in many places in many years. Not individual months or days.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know the climate is changing. There are enough well educated scientist all over the world with lots of evidence.

Imagine next year January would be in average 1 degree cooler. What would that mean? Following your logic the climate change deniers could say: see, it's getting cooler again. 

I guess we agree that that argument that if it is one year cooler than last year means very little. And consequently one month in one year being the hottest means also little. What counts is the long term statistic in many places in many years. Not individual months or days.

If you read my opening post again, you will see that I wrote "things are not shaping up...", which does not lead to any definitive conclusion. 

My point is just to show that, for the time being, the climate doesn't appear to be heading toward a new ice age, as announced again and again by the deniers brigade... 

17 hours ago, Brunolem said:

If you read my opening post again, you will see that I wrote "things are not shaping up...", which does not lead to any definitive conclusion. 

My point is just to show that, for the time being, the climate doesn't appear to be heading toward a new ice age, as announced again and again by the deniers brigade... 

No it's basically flatlining with you alarmists trying to cherry pick the data. You attacked another for using US figures while you posted Europe figures which have hardly changed in 4 years.

You cherry picking alarmists are a funny lot. Warmist on record? What records? 140 year records 555

The earth is 4bn years old.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

The alarmists don't have any LT data. The climate goes thru 200 year cycles. The alarmists post data that doesn't even qualify.

20 years of scare mongering for nothing.

Since 2005, however, the estimated global polar bear population has risen by more than 30% to about 30,000 bears, far and away the highest estimate in more than 50 years.

How so? You alarmists said in 2005 they would be nearly all gone by 2020.

Just another failed prediction.

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:
On 2/8/2020 at 3:34 PM, Brunolem said:

USA is NOT the whole world...

Neither is Europe 5555

Who cares about Euroland or the US

You both missed the 65 F in ANtartic last week

The highest temperature ever recorded on the Antarctic continent was 18.3 °C (64.9 °F) at Esperanza Base, on the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, on 6 February 2020, beating the previous record of 17.5 °C (63.5 °F) at the same location on 24 March 2015.

I doubt FOX news will mention the above. Professional liars rarely publish facts that contradict their lies.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Who cares about Euroland or the US

You both missed the 65 F in ANtartic last week

The highest temperature ever recorded on the Antarctic continent was 18.3 °C (64.9 °F) at Esperanza Base, on the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, on 6 February 2020, beating the previous record of 17.5 °C (63.5 °F) at the same location on 24 March 2015.

I doubt FOX news will mention the above. Professional liars rarely publish facts that contradict their lies.  

Wow, another cherry picker.

What were the temps in 1050 or 10,000 bc or 100,000 bc

Tell us that.

Arctic sea ice extent in January 2020 is sitting ABOVE levels observed in the years 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2012 (record low extent), 2011, AND 2010.

Can you imagine the likes of The Guardian, for example, ever running with this? The source of the data isn’t some hokey-pokey conspiracy site — it’s America’s NSIDC, who boast being backed-up by NASA–and they have satellites and <deleted>. No, the exclusion of charts like these reveals an agenda, and it should ring alarm bells for those with even the weakest of BS detectors.

Ah, the deniers brigade is finally out in full swing...it took almost 3 days...what were they doing? 

What is admirable is that they always come with something new to refute the evidence.

Now, it is the data that doesn't go back far enough to be able to reach conclusions.

Faced with the obvious, that climate is changing, they don't deny this fact anymore, but they deny that WE humans are responsible for it...because if that was so, THEY, as humans, would share responsibility, something that would be morally unbearable for them.

I am personally not an alarmist, on the contrary, I would gladly see humans wiped out from the surface of the Earth, the sooner the better...so that rather makes cheering climate change, rather than fearing it...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Ah, the deniers brigade is finally out in full swing...it took almost 3 days...what were they doing? 

What is admirable is that they always come with something new to refute the evidence.

Now, it is the data that doesn't go back far enough to be able to reach conclusions.

Faced with the obvious, that climate is changing, they don't deny this fact anymore, but they deny that WE humans are responsible for it...because if that was so, THEY, as humans, would share responsibility, something that would be morally unbearable for them.

I am personally not an alarmist, on the contrary, I would gladly see humans wiped out from the surface of the Earth, the sooner the better...so that rather makes cheering climate change, rather than fearing it...

So you are an alarmist who denies being one. So basically you are a denier and an alarmist.

While all the normal people are laughing at your cherry picking you're in denial.

Too funny.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

So you are an alarmist who denies being one. So basically you are a denier and an alarmist.

While all the normal people are laughing at your cherry picking you're in denial.

Too funny.

What is alarming is the very small, and constantly declining, number of "normal people"...

GLOBAL WARMING TO WIPE NATIONS "OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH" IF CLIMATE CHANGE NOT ADDRESSED BY YEAR 2000

In 1989, the Associated Press relayed a warning from a U.N. official:

"A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000."

The official was Noel Brown, director of the New York office of the U.N. Environment Program, who added: "Shifting climate patterns would bring back 1930s Dust Bowl conditions to Canadian and U.S. wheatlands.”

Instead, U.S. and global farm production rose, and more than 1 billion people worldwide rose out of extreme poverty due to economic growth.

The same U.N. official who predicted the loss of entire nations by the year 2000 also claimed: "the most conservative scientific estimate [is] that the Earth’s temperature will rise 1 to 7 degrees in the next 30 years.”

But looking back from 2019, the temperature rose about half of a degree Celsius since 1989, according to NASA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1