Thai soldier kills 'many' in shooting rampage

rooster59

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses and my niece said the same thing last night (whats wrong with Thailand), and they're both Thai.

As to your 'how many countries' question, as I know the only other country this happens in is America.

Norway, UK (couple of school massacres) , come to mind.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses and my niece said the same thing last night (whats wrong with Thailand), and they're both Thai.

As to your 'how many countries' question, as I know the only other country this happens in is America.

So this sort of thing has never happened in the UK or France.

And yes I can understand the what's happening to Thailand from Thais same as what's happening to UK from Brits.

Update at 7:37am:
- Thai Rath TV reporter reported that 4 more people were found, but officials were still unable to take the bodies out. While the drone flew to the hiding place of the attacker But it appears that 2 shots have been shot, resulting in a total of 25 deaths and 34 injuries

3 people were rushed to hospital at around 3.30am from the Terminal 21 mall in #Korat with 1 in a critical condition.

The three rushed to hospital were members of the security forces team injured during a raid on the mall in the early hours of Sunday morning. Sadly one succumbed to his injuries and passed away bringing the #koratshooting death toll to 25

Edited by phuketrichard

7 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

He's definitely doing this for certain reasons and so his cause gets exposure, hence his use of social media. He's not just some mad, drugged up nutter off on a rampage as they will try and spin it.

I'll have to disagree with you.

I've certainly had thoughts of 'killing everyone' when I've suffered injustice (as does probably everyone), but because I'm not a 'mad, drugged up nutter' I didn't do it.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Really?.... What about the UK which beats Thailand hands down in the non-terrorist mass shooting stakes?

Over 20 mass shootings in the UK since the start of the 1970s.... beat that Thailand.

Edited by Brewster67
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've certainly had thoughts of 'killing everyone' when I've suffered injustice (as does probably everyone), but because I'm not a 'mad, drugged up nutter' I didn't do it.

Actually, I have never once wanted to kill everyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yadon Toploy said:

After the Dunblane and Hungerford massacres in the UK the government took steps to tighten gun laws after an enquiry.

Those measures worked.

Those measures didn't work as well as you think... The day i moved to Thailand I was sitting in Heathrow watching the mass shooting in Cumbria going down.

• Like 1

UPDATE 08.23

- 16 hours since shooting at Terminal 21 Korat Mall
- Thairath reporting 25 killed, 34 injured - official death toll still 21 
- shooter: 32 yrs old, army sergeant
- special forces police are still conducting operation inside the mall
- shooter still at large
- more than 100 evacuated from mall overnight

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Time to visit a shrink ey ?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Incredible the amount of folks here sitting around the tv transfixed i can imagine the country will almost be at a stand still, very very sad afair indeed.

If that is the case I should have the whole wakepark to myself, though I doubt it.

38 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I do not understand why they do not send in some police dogs.  They usually are pretty well trained to go after the bad guy that is holding the gun, or smells like gun powder.  At least you will know almost exactly where the guy is.  And if the dogs have a collar or dog cam, you can get a pretty good view of things.

Could have ended the post with:

I do not understand.

I wonder if they have considered cutting the power to the mall ? A whole lot harder for the gunman to move about or defend himself in the dark, anyone still hidden would be better hidden, and the main one, the gunman wouldn't be able to watch what the police are doing on television.

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

One thing for sure all the money spent on the police the army and generals is a total waste its sounds like a total containment fiasco ????

I am surprised he was able to freely roam the mall. I wonder how he is moving hostages and moving around. I am still wondering if it's true they have him in Foodland. If so he would pretty much be contained. 

If he is contained there is the opportunity to put snipers in place.

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

I am surprised he was able to freely roam the mall. I wonder how he is moving hostages and moving around. I am still wondering if it's true they have him in Foodland. If so he would pretty much be contained. 

If he is contained there is the opportunity to put snipers in place.

There are reports that he is holding grenades, a sniper shot may take him out but also the hostages.

26 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The initial motive by the shooter was revenge for being ripped off from helping his boss and his mother-in-law buy a house. 

He went on rants about corruption and the rich earlier on Facebook before going to the house and killing both of them.

The thing is, if this guy resonates with Thailands poor and disenfranchised male population, who already have easy access to guns, then we could see more incidents of this type.

He's definitely doing this for certain reasons and so his cause gets exposure, hence his use of social media. He's not just some mad, drugged up nutter off on a rampage as they will try and spin it.

The root causes here are important, and endemic in Thai society.

He's not going to resonate with the poor, he's just killed a load of them!

Jeez.

• Like 1