Thai soldier kills 'many' in shooting rampage

rooster59

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There are reports that he is holding grenades, a sniper shot may take him out but also the hostages.

That's very true. However you still are in a better position if snipers are sighting him in, They would only take the shot if the risk scenario was deemed high percentage.

I guess my point is it is better to have a scope aimed at his head than nothing at all. If a snipe can see him they can give recon about what explosives what sort of triggers, etc.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

There are other threads to have gun control debates, whichever side you are on of the issue.

It wasn't about gun control, it was about the apparent perception that mass shootings only happen in America.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

He's not going to resonate with the poor, he's just killed a load of them!

Jeez.

I didn't state 'the poor' I stated 'poor, disenfranchised males.'

He has made rants about corruption, and being ripped off by those in a position of power. 

It will definitely resonate with some Thais.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

That's very true. However you still are in a better position if snipers are sighting him in, They would only take the shot if the risk scenario was deemed high percentage.

I guess my point is it is better to have a scope aimed at his head than nothing at all. If a snipe can see him they can give recon about what explosives what sort of triggers, etc.

Hopefully snipers etc are already in place, dont forget the gunman is probably watching television , so wise of the police etc not to broadcast the situation,

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am surprised he was able to freely roam the mall. I wonder how he is moving hostages and moving around. I am still wondering if it's true they have him in Foodland. If so he would pretty much be contained. 

If he is contained there is the opportunity to put snipers in place.

Moving? hmmm... I'd say he was well past the Take No Prisoners stage, yonks ago...  

maybe also bring in the cave divers, to block his escape via the sewers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sammym said:

As a former British Solider I think the Thai's are dealing with this well. 

They have contained him - no one is going in or leaving the building unless authorised now. They have got innocents out. They have not caused him to start shooting his hostages. 

They don't need to do anything right now. They wait for him to make a move. If he starts killing more people the special forces will move in very quickly. If he wants to give up he can. If he wants to top himself he can. If they rush in now they are going to force a situation. 

Yeah just try to get eyes on the target to gather info or a clean kill shot if one becomes available. Unless he has a trigger mechanism on the grenades or is holding one with the pin out a bullet in the head will be faster than he can respond.  

That's f they can get him in site through a window or hiding inside an HVAC or whatever.

6 minutes ago, sammym said:

They have contained him - no one is going in or leaving the building unless authorised now. They have got innocents out. They have not caused him to start shooting his hostages. 

They don't need to do anything right now. They wait for him to make a move. If he starts killing more people the special forces will move in very quickly. If he wants to give up he can. If he wants to top himself he can. If they rush in now they are going to force a situation. 

Well said- the arm chair 'experts' have outdone themselves with not 20 but 35 pages so far. It just goes to show how ill-informed (I was going to use a stronger word but fear the ban hammer) they are and clearly have no concept of how this sort of incident is dealt with.

Cordon and contain is how its done, clearance can be done slow time without further risk to life. 

I'm logging out now as this thread is going to get silly.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Unless he has a trigger mechanism on the grenades or is holding one with the pin out a bullet in the head will be faster than he can respond.  

Yes, but they doin't know if he's got the pin out, would you risk a headshot?

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but they doin't know if he's got the pin out, would you risk a headshot?

It doesn't matter what I would do but you want a headshot available as much as possible. Containment and eyes on target.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I wonder if they have considered cutting the power to the mall ? A whole lot harder for the gunman to move about or defend himself in the dark, anyone still hidden would be better hidden, and the main one, the gunman wouldn't be able to watch what the police are doing on television.

Are you sure he doesn't have night vision equipment with him?

• Like 1

Wouldnt a power cut in the middle of the night be advantageous?

Can't shoot anybody if you can't see them. 

No way to charge phones to see what was happening outside giving a advantage to the forces.

Just seen Farflung write the same. They would know what he took. Unlikely he planned for night vision equipment.

Edited by Sametboy2019
Dual post

19 minutes ago, sammym said:

They have tried to get to him, that's why a few of the swat team are dead/badly injured.

Not sure if he's made any demands, if not you can play for time. He has to sleep at some point

Edited by Canuck1966

2 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Wouldnt a power cut in the middle of the night be advantageous?

Can't shoot anybody if you can't see them. 

No way to charge phones to see what was happening outside giving a advantage to the forces.

It would make it much more likely that innocent hostages would also be killed in the assault.

• Like 1

I fear the death toll is going to be way higher than the current numbers, They have no idea how many the guy has killed inside the mall, he could literally be finding people hiding in bathrooms etc

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Additionally any Western country would have a trained hostage negotiator in constant one-to-one contact with the perp. The only contact that I have seen is a "negotiator" trading vile insults with the perp and both parties giving it the macho "bring it on". Not very professional.

We don't know anything for a fact. The amount of information from the media is very low. I just want to know if he is contained to the Foodland wing? 

Just to answer some general comments about snipers etc. 

Firstly if you deploy that tactic you run loads of risks: 

1. Missing and causing him to panic and start killing people. 

2. Hitting and not killing him causing the same as 1.

3. Hitting a hostage not only killing the hostage but also causing 1 again. 

Forget about the movies. Anyone who has ever used a rifle will know that hitting a moving target is far from simple. And no sniper or sharp shooter I've ever met would put his hand up in this situation at this point. 

You'd also never aim for a 'headshot'. It's too small a target. Combine this with him probably having a ballistic helmet makes is beyond absurd. You aim for the chest area as it has the ability to put someone down and is also a larger target. Again he has ballistic body armour I'd guess so the chances of that working are diminished as well. 

The priority will be to get innocent people out safely. And to do that the best option is to wait. If he falls asleep the situation changes but even then you wouldn't have some sharp shooter doing something for a couple of hundred metres away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1