Renewing half-Thai child passport without mother

DeeMak9

Hoping someone has experience with this.. I have a half Thai 6 year old and her passport is expiring soon. I want to apply for a new one however the mother, my ex girlfriend, is not around. I am the legal father by court. Can I go myself or is the presence of the mother really mandatory?

I would be renewing in The Avenue, Pattaya.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Wht bother with a Thai Passport - just get her a passport from your country

I think you will find the mother needs to sign a foreign passport application also. Required in Australia.

You will also run into trouble at the airport with a child leaving the country more often than not with a Thai or foreign passport. They will want a letter from the mother approving the child leaving the country and will usually call to the mother to double check. Particularly where a young child is alone with the father they seem to be more diligent.

My friend has been back to the UK 3 times with his young son and 2 out of 3 times was asked for the mothers approval. Was no problem as they are still together, she was just staying at home.

You do also realise with a Thai passport she will need a visa to enter your country? Even if she is a citizen? It is a requirement in Oz anyway. I have heard reports of people with children who were Thai born Australian citizens travelling on a Thai passport with no visa who talked their way into the country after lengthy discussion, but it could go pear shaped.

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 2

I will be watching this thread with interest although I suspect you will get more opinions and "he said she said" than any real experience or fact. I am in the same boat and was left with a 3 month old boy who I have raised myself. He's 4yo now and been the joy of my life ???? I also did the legitimacy thing through the courts as we weren't married. I have had a few little issues that I have mainly been able to talk my way through showing them legitimacy papers and stating his mother is long gone with no contact. Only small stuff like moving medical records and school stuff. I think they may have even mistook the legitimacy papers for custody documents as the legitimacy papers are a court order, Amphur stamps all over it etc.

Mine is technically contactable, or last time I checked a few months ago anyway but has effectively been out of his life apart from a few several hour visits over the last few years. I would go the sole custody route and pretty sure I would win, she even agreed to ok it but it would involve at least 3 visits to court / child services etc and whilst she might appear for one, no guarantee she would see it out and could be a lot of time and money for nothing.  

I often cringe when I read stories of guys who have done the right thing and raised their kids, without any help or support from the mother .... then want to do something similar to what you are doing and the mother demanding 100k's THB to approve it! I have heard varying reports but it does sound like the Child welfare authorities here are fairly fair  and will do the right thing. Ie the mother wont just get the child or demand rights as a mother just because she is Thai and you farang.

I am sure there are guys here who have been put in this position and would be interested to see what the outcomes where when doing something important and stating the mother has been gone for ex amount of years. I mean how would you prove this or is there something you can do? Anyway, best of luck to you brother

• Like 2

It is enough that only 1 parent accompanies the minor for the passport application, but the mother will still need to give permisison. She can do that at any amphur, where they will legalise her signature.

Being the legal father is not enough, unless you have sole custody awarded by the court both parents need to give permission for the new passport.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Preacher said:

It is enough that only 1 parent accompanies the minor for the passport application, but the mother will still need to give permisison. She can do that at any amphur, where they will legalise her signature.

Being the legal father is not enough, unless you have sole custody awarded by the court both parents need to give permission for the new passport.

Thank you for this information. I have eventually managed to get the mother to Pattaya today and will be applying this morning.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:32 AM, Preacher said:

Slightly different to my experience in the Bangkok Thai passport centre last month. My ex-wife went with our 15 year old son to renew his Thai passport, and they phoned me saying I had to go to sign the application as well. So in our case they wanted both the Thai mother and British father there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Less paperwork when entering Thailand with a Thai passport. No TM6-card needed. 

Entering Thailand ok but what about an Australian or Uk Thai born citizen entering those countries on a Thai passport? I was under the impression that even though my Thai born son is an Australian citizen, he would need a visa to enter the country. I was even told the airlines probably wouldnt let him leave Thailand without a visa to enter oz. If he had an aussie passport no problems at all

Edited by Kenny202

Both parents, when we was applying for my half-Thai daughter's first Thai passport, and later renewing it – she was still a minor – both parents needed to be present. I don't know if a power of attorney is possible, but at the passport office we used in Surat Thani they wished physical presence of both mother and also me, the farang father, I could not just give a power of attorney to the mother.

It was same procedure with my home country's embassy in Bangkok, both father and mother needed to be present when applying for passport, which was her first, and has it not yet been renewed.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, Preacher said:

I wrote out my own custody contract, got the mother to sign it and a friend to co sign as a witness and had no problems. Text as follows; 

To whom it may concern.

I .........................., Thai I.D. card holder 3-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-3, hereby grant custody of my son ............................., UK passport holder  ................. to his Father, ....................... U.K. passport holder 
7xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Witnessed by ............................ UK passport holder 7xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date.

51 minutes ago, Syduan said:

I wrote out my own custody contract, got the mother to sign it and a friend to co sign as a witness and had no problems. Text as follows; 

To whom it may concern.

I .........................., Thai I.D. card holder 3-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-3, hereby grant custody of my son ............................., UK passport holder  ................. to his Father, ....................... U.K. passport holder 
7xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Witnessed by ............................ UK passport holder 7xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date.

Have you really put it to the test. Like applying for a passport or something? Did u register it at the Amphur together? Not doubting u just very interested to know

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Have you really put it to the test. Like applying for a passport or something? Did u register it at the Amphur together? Not doubting u just very interested to know

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I took my son to the U.K using that document and also signed copies of his Mothers ID, tabian baan etc around 18 months ago.

Just now, Syduan said:

I took my son to the U.K using that document and also signed copies of his Mothers ID, tabian baan etc around 18 months ago.

I didn't register anything with the Amphur and there was no lawyers involved, my son was 9 at the time.

14 minutes ago, Syduan said:

I didn't register anything with the Amphur and there was no lawyers involved, my son was 9 at the time.

Wow. I might discuss that with my lawyer see what he thinks. Getting mine to sign a piece of paper I think a lot easier than hoping she will show up for 3 or 4 court / interview appearances. 

Thanks for the info