VFS Global uk visa application

Just done an application on line from UK Gov web site. For  Thai lady to go to the UK .(just remember you will need papers trail of everything you say/mention in the application form to back it up. and all Thai worded docs have to be translated by a certified person with their stamp on the copy and the translation ) But filling in the application was quite easy . Then after you submit application, you then get transferred to VFS Global to choice an appointment time (to go to Bangkok for (finger prints and eyes) and pay for extras like having passport returned by courier.

But the problem for us to do this is you have to print of a check list of all the documents you would like to show for your application. There are about 12 boxes to tick, plus extra ones if you like to add to help your application. But when you get to Trendy house Bangkok, they tell you that you have to resort all your papers and put a sheet of paper in between that has Barcodes on.for then to scan all papers . BUT .. the titles on the sheets with the  bar codes and NOT the same as the order on the check list and there are only 6 sheets ... so beware  this is then not an easy task to do when you get there and make sure you not late for your appointment. If the bar codes are not in the correct place this could make your application fail. So don’t send your Thai lady on her own if you are doing the application for her. Then you don’t know if you pass or fail till she gets her passport back .

hope this helps   

hi, just been reading your account of VFS global, scanning supporting info document,

firstly thanks for the info provided.

SELF scanning service  or the vip service courier assistants, then pay extra for settlement Visa... etc?

don't know which service or  Any to go for...? How hard to do it yourself, as I am still Here to help my partner.

any input would be greatly appreciated as its all  been a big nightmare

cheers.

The checklist is merely a list of documents that the system generates based on your inputs on the online application; it is not meant as a definitive list of everything you will need for the visa. So it is not a checklist of the documents you would like to show, it is a checklist showing "must have" documents. It is not a complete list and it does not indicate a sequence.

The easiest approach, if you have scanning facilities, is to upload your documents yourself. When you do this, you have the choice of different categories which are the same as those on the barcoded sheets.

So if you are going to let VFS do the scanning, go to the upload section of your application and make a note of the upload categories, and then sort your documents into those categories before going to VFS.

thanks for your valuable input "FR",

I would be most great full if someone can clarify this point for me.

One more confusion, or a silly question,

at the TOP of the  various doc. scanning option and prices boxes (options)

there is a option to skip all the VFS services, I can not do the self-upload.

if one was to skip all confusing pricing options, Can one still take the documents in at the time of the Appointment and get help to scan them in Payed or unpaid.(settlement case)

thanks a lot.

It all sounds so unreasonably complicated. I will be submitting an application for a tourist visa next week for my wife. I have already got all the requisite documents in place and scanned, completed the application form online (but not yet submitted). I just hope that the uploading system works, but I must admit that I am not confident of that based on reports on Thaivisa.  

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It all sounds so unreasonably complicated. I will be submitting an application for a tourist visa next week for my wife. I have already got all the requisite documents in place and scanned, completed the application form online (but not yet submitted). I just hope that the uploading system works, but I must admit that I am not confident of that based on reports on Thaivisa.  

It works.

It is lumpy and less user friendly than, say, the Australian Immigration system. 

The secret is minimising the number of documents needed for upload - I had 7 + the unnecessary uploading of the checklist pages.

19 minutes ago, OPaddict said:

thanks for your valuable input "FR",

I would be most great full if someone can clarify this point for me.

One more confusion, or a silly question,

at the TOP of the  various doc. scanning option and prices boxes (options)

there is a option to skip all the VFS services, I can not do the self-upload.

if one was to skip all confusing pricing options, Can one still take the documents in at the time of the Appointment and get help to scan them in Payed or unpaid.(settlement case)

thanks a lot.

Yes.. paid. ...... but I thought you had to pre-select that option.

Just check the "I don't need these services" box

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

It works.

It is lumpy and less user friendly than, say, the Australian Immigration system. 

The secret is minimising the number of documents needed for upload - I had 7 + the unnecessary uploading of the checklist pages.

Thanks. This will be our third application (the first two approved without problem), but this is the first time with submitting documents online.  For the first application I submitted 17 documents, the second 14 and this time I will limit it to 10. 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, docspinoff said:

But filling in the application was quite easy 

I am an intelligent Englishman and even I had difficulty understanding many of the questions on both the UK and Schengen Visa applications. There is no way a Thai, or other foreigner who is not very good at English could fill in these forms themselves.

Saying that I have done 4 successful UK and 1 Schengen visas.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, docspinoff said:

BUT .. the titles on the sheets with the  bar codes and NOT the same as the order on the check list and there are only 6 sheets ...

When they first introduced the bar code separater ,  we were one of the first applicants to have to use them and as you say , they were and still are ambiguous. On the appointment day , despite my best efforts to collate everything as requested there were still some sheets that were in the wrong place. Unfortunately , even those checking were not sure where they were to go and had to call a supervisor over for advice.

Nobody would mind doing things online if everything was thoroughly tested first to make sure it all made sense but VFS Global has not been able to achieve this.

9 hours ago, docspinoff said:

Did not want to do self upload as I heard you  can get timed out. But looking for barcodes good idea thanks 

It's not very elegant, but it works.

There is a file size limit of 10MB, but if you use a PDF size reduction facility (available via your browser), you can include a load of documents in a single file. Our record was 77 pages in a single file which reduced down to only 6MB.
Create PDF files, each containing the documents you want to submit for each category. Reduce their size and then upload them. Takes minutes.
You then have a digital copy of all your documents which is good to keep; and you can leave your originals at home when you go to VFS.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Thanks. This will be our third application (the first two approved without problem), but this is the first time with submitting documents online.  For the first application I submitted 17 documents, the second 14 and this time I will limit it to 10. 

Persevere. 

You may suffer the frustration of being timed out or, having a document not upload.

I made a mistake of printing the appointment letter before uploading documents. VfS had to access the application and reprint - apparently the uploaded docs are listed on the appointment letter.

Just to mention about when you fill in the application form online. you will need to know your girlfriend quite well ,as you will need her to be honest ,so you have a good idea of what paperwork you need, as you need the information to answer the questions.    There also seems to be one hic-cup they want to know travel history so you need all old past passports for information. In the back of the passport tell them you have had refusals of visa before... but where this come unstuck is one question say have you visited the UK in the last 10 years  and the past history says have you been refused any visa's . so I take it  ever means EVER so don't slip up .as any false information is classed as lying and you will be refused..

the bar codes seem to be in this list ,,, employment evidence.(her work. if she has a job) financial evidence (bank books and savings land)  ,consent letter and proof of relationship, (invitation letter.certificates,rental agreement,  and if you have child the arrangements for the child while you are away)  sponsor evidence ( just about as much as you can find on you. where you live and if you can afford to look after her) and last one additional docs documents ( any thing else that may help your application)

Quick question. I know the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you plan to travel, but does that count from the date you file online or the date of your appointment with VFS? For example, if we are planning to travel on 18 May 2020 could I file online on 13 Feb but make an appointment from 19 Feb onward or would I need to wait until 19 Feb before I submit the application online? I'm asking as I want to get the appointment as soon as possible as we need to file visa applications for other countries too.   

would have said everything starts from the online completed form .. but i sure  if you already have a visa for the UK . that's still current you can,t apply for another one till it runs out >>. not sure about other countries as well ? 

My wife went for her interview on Wednesday 12th.   When we arrived the arrival office was teaming with students all hoping to go to UK.    I decided to opt for the Gold service @3460 THB to avoid a long wait, plus all the scanning was done for us.  My wife was in and out within 30 minutes whereas others who had arrived long before us were still waiting to be seen when we left.  3460THB well spent in my opinion.   Others may not agree.   As the Proverb states 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, GuyFawkes said:

My wife was in and out within 30 minutes whereas others who had arrived long before us were still waiting to be seen when we left.  3460THB well spent in my opinion.   Others may not agree.   As the Proverb states 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

did you take up the gold service before hand or when you arrived ? where did you go to get  it ? 

another thing is don't get caught out by you people who you can say in the UK for 6 months ..on a tourist visa ..... you can.t ......you can only stay 180 days max with in the visa time frame .  so be careful when you book your flight . as i  have read the count starts from the day you arrive in the UK to the day you leave included in count ..

21 minutes ago, docspinoff said:

another thing is don't get caught out by you people who you can say in the UK for 6 months ..on a tourist visa ..... you can.t ......you can only stay 180 days max with in the visa time frame .  so be careful when you book your flight . as i  have read the count starts from the day you arrive in the UK to the day you leave included in count ..

In theory you can stay in the UK for a full six months, though as you point out the holder must leave the UK on or before the expiry date of the visa.
There are a couple of other things to point out, the Border Force Officer on arrival may well ask for sight of a return ticket, whilst it's not a requirement to actually hold one, and indeed having one doesn't mean the passenger would actually use it, it would indicate that the passenger has the means to leave, which is a requirement.
If the visa holder indicated in their application that they intend to visit the UK for a month and has a return ticket for six months hence, and they can and do check, that could be regarded as a material change, and the officer could seek authorisation to refuse admission.
Whilst it's perfectly legal to stay for the full six month validity, if an applicant does so, after saying a month in the application, it could cause an ECO to doubt their credibilty in in future application. 

8 hours ago, theoldgit said:

In theory you can stay in the UK for a full six months, though as you point out the holder must leave the UK on or before the expiry date of the visa.
There are a couple of other things to point out, the Border Force Officer on arrival may well ask for sight of a return ticket, whilst it's not a requirement to actually hold one, and indeed having one doesn't mean the passenger would actually use it, it would indicate that the passenger has the means to leave, which is a requirement.
If the visa holder indicated in their application that they intend to visit the UK for a month and has a return ticket for six months hence, and they can and do check, that could be regarded as a material change, and the officer could seek authorisation to refuse admission.
Whilst it's perfectly legal to stay for the full six month validity, if an applicant does so, after saying a month in the application, it could cause an ECO to doubt their credibilty in in future application. 

its does say on the visa sticker in passport ,  180 days only which is Not 6 months , the  dates on my visa   eg  26th march to 26th sept  = 185 days but can only have max 180 day between then dates 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, GuyFawkes said:

My wife went for her interview on Wednesday 12th.   When we arrived the arrival office was teaming with students all hoping to go to UK.    I decided to opt for the Gold service @3460 THB to avoid a long wait, plus all the scanning was done for us.  My wife was in and out within 30 minutes whereas others who had arrived long before us were still waiting to be seen when we left.  3460THB well spent in my opinion.   Others may not agree.   As the Proverb states 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

The system appears to be pushing people into buying VFS services.

The problems I have had I would pay to get them put to bed, other than VFS. Had several disputes with them over the years and reluctant to pay them anything.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:55 AM, docspinoff said:

did you take up the gold service before hand or when you arrived ? where did you go to get  it ? 

My apologies for a late reply but have only just browsed.   At the Main entrance to the building there is VFS rep taking care of the UK,  She checked my wife's appointment and I told her that we wanted the Gold package and she wrote that on the appt paper which I handed to the 28th floor reception desk.   Money was paid inside the 'no go' area which is off-limits to such as myself.

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The system appears to be pushing people into buying VFS services.

I'm inclined to agree with that, what get's under my skin is that I believe the UKVI must be aware of the problems being caused to their "customers" and by seeming to be doing nothing to address the problem are bordering on the complicit. 

Most contracts let by by Government agencies are robustly monitored to ensre value for money and compliance with the contract, certainly the UKBA do monitor contracts in other parts of the Agency, sadly I can see nothing to suggest this is the case with this contract.

to be fair just read what the gold package includes . it seems to me the most useful part is to get visa with out an appointment .  just point out we did book appointment and went in on time and was back out with in the hr, i had paid for documents scan and passport return and cost be 600b. . also they did check docs when girlfriend  was there . and was told there was a page of the check list missing the page she had to sign , . luckly i was  allowed in the checking room .with her  and they let me use there pc.s and i printed one off , cost me 100b .  got visa back with a pass in 8 days .. 

17 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I'm inclined to agree with that, what get's under my skin is that I believe the UKVI must be aware of the problems being caused to their "customers" and by seeming to be doing nothing to address the problem are bordering on the complicit. 

Most contracts let by by Government agencies are robustly monitored to ensre value for money and compliance with the contract, certainly the UKBA do monitor contracts in other parts of the Agency, sadly I can see nothing to suggest this is the case with this contract.

In recent years I had been using the visa4uk site which worked fairly well. One of the big problems with the new arrangement is the gov.uk site has introduced a checklist that is inconsistent with the way the VFS site categorises documents and is an inherent source of confusion. It is bad enough for the likes of us, native English speakers with some sort of experience, so must be a real nightmare for foreign nationals. Signing up to help from VFS is almost a foregone conclusion.

It is effectively a return to the old days when VFS had a checklist, something that got dispensed with because of the problems it caused.

VisitSpouseOfUKCitizen(BasedInThailand).jpg

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In recent years I had been using the visa4uk site which worked fairly well. One of the big problems with the new arrangement is the gov.uk site has introduced a checklist that is inconsistent with the way the VFS site categorises documents and is an inherent source of confusion. It is bad enough for the likes of us, native English speakers with some sort of experience, so must be a real nightmare for foreign nationals. Signing up to help from VFS is almost a foregone conclusion.

It is effectively a return to the old days when VFS had a checklist, something that got dispensed with because of the problems it caused.

VisitSpouseOfUKCitizen(BasedInThailand).jpg

I take it that is not the current list. My understanding is that there is no need for passport photos and copy of Thai ID card. I am just about to submit my wife's application. This new system seems much worse than before. I thought the digital era was supposed to make things so much easier.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I take it that is not the current list. My understanding is that there is no need for passport photos and copy of Thai ID card. I am just about to submit my wife's application. This new system seems much worse than before. I thought the digital era was supposed to make things so much easier.

You take it right, that is the one they got rid of, the current checklist is very spread out and amounts to 7 pages.

Here is a screenshot of the categories and it is worthwhile with a PDF editor merging the documents for each category into a single file, makes the upload much easier.

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

I have just finished uploading the documents. Unfortunately, before I saw your note to combine the documents into single files for each section.

It was terrible, timed out several times. Even though I am in an office with excellent internet connectivity, previewing the uploaded documents took an age. One of the worst websites I have been on when it comes to uploading and reviewing docs and I work with quite a number of such sites, so it is not as if I am an internet virgin. 

Appointment made for next Monday. I have calmed down now but my blood pressure must have been very high. I'll probably end up having to pay something too. 

38 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have just finished uploading the documents. Unfortunately, before I saw your note to combine the documents into single files for each section.

It was terrible, timed out several times. Even though I am in an office with excellent internet connectivity, previewing the uploaded documents took an age. One of the worst websites I have been on when it comes to uploading and reviewing docs and I work with quite a number of such sites, so it is not as if I am an internet virgin. 

Appointment made for next Monday. I have calmed down now but my blood pressure must have been very high. I'll probably end up having to pay something too. 

Quite, I used to be a Sage software consultant and that VFS website is reminiscent of 20 year old software, quite atrocious for this day and age.

We are also going on Monday at 10.45, I cannot believe how clear the calendar was, I made last application at almost the same time last year and had to wait nearly 3 weeks for an appointment. Either there has been a dramatic reduction in applications or a huge number of walk-ins.

Archived