Unpaid brokerage fee believed to be behind Korat mass shooting

webfact

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

All those dead and traumatised over a small amount of money.

How many people have been traumatised because two peoples greed. ?

This is why our prices for everything keep going up.

To a Thai or at least to the average Thai person 50,000 baht is not a relatively small amount of money.

Numerous murders for far less than this

17 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

We have let 4 relatives in my wife's family borrow 1000 or 2000 in the past and none of them have paid it back .

My thoughts are they can't ever ask again so no need to ever worry .

But you still have 4 relatives you can never trust.

Edited by MJKT2014
  • Like 1

This is the problem in a society where you pay the armed forces and the police so little it is expected for them to be corrupt or have second jobs in order for them to have a decent income.

In the UK these professions are comparatively well paid and their spare time activities strictly controlled to largely prevent this behaviour.

Time to change the culture and philosophy for the army to protect the nation and the police to serve the public rather than both helping themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

a good analysis and explanation, however imo I think one can be as normal as the next guy and during the course of maybe a week, a month, who knows how long but he shows no indication of stress, anger, rage or any other internal desire, then after one more hicup or bad news about losing money, being shafted, then it's kabooom inside.  in other words, a normal acting guy who snaps on the day.

It becomes a chicken or egg thing, were you a nutter just waiting for a trigger or does the trigger make you a nutter.

Mind you, one more change to immigration laws would probably tip me over the edge, lol

• Haha 1

There are some striking similarities between this case and Charles Whitman, the University of Texas Austin shooter who back in 1966 became one of America's first mass murderers.  Both had sniper training and both began their rampages by killing personal associates before going on to kill indiscriminately. Link to a documentary on Whitman:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1B5mfzCBA

Myself, I refuse to believe that the Khorat shooter was an otherwise well-adjusted guy who went on this shooting spree over a brokerage fee dispute. There had to be some underlying anger at society in general for someone to have done this. His Facebook postings suggest to me a possible strong need for recognition, that he may have seen himself as an avenger of wrongs, and enjoyed a feeling of holding the power of life and death over people.

My theory is that this guy may have had narcissistic tendencies, felt under appreciated and under recognized (perhaps feeling special resentment towards the wealthy), and his rampage was a frenzy of narcissistic rage. I think his psychological motives for the shooting need to be delved into fully, and I suspect that there is much more to this story than just a business dispute.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Losing face means losing credibility or respect. If someone stiffs him for 50k its a loss of face, in his mind anyway. "Losing face" is a very big deal in Thai culture.

Also a very big deal for an 8 yr old in any other country

A lot of similarities with Martin Bryant at Port Arthur.

Started with a personal dispute over property, morphed into random killings and ended with an overnight hostage siege. Only difference is Bryant turned himself in the next morning whereas this guy appears to have shot himself in the head. 

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Quite often the case in FarangLand where both extreme reactions to loss of face and mass shootings are common, but you're making a stretch in this case in order to bolster your prejudices. More like a loss of money.

Prejudices? 20 years of living in Thailand taught me that Thai people can have a different "mind-set" to Westerners, sometimes in a good way too. Also Muslims with their "Inshallah" attitudes. (I worked for around 7 years in the Middle East).

God forbid, what I point out is that some races of people can have different attitudes/mind-sets/beliefs.

22 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

There are some striking similarities between this case and Charles Whitman, the University of Texas Austin shooter who back in 1966 became one of America's first mass murderers. Both had sniper training and both began their rampages by killing personal associates before going on to kill indiscriminately. Link to a documentary on Whitman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1B5mfzCBA

Myself, I refuse to believe that the Khorat shooter was an otherwise well-adjusted guy who went on this shooting spree over a brokerage fee dispute. There had to be some underlying anger at society in general for someone to have done this. His Facebook postings suggest to me a possible strong need for recognition, that he may have seen himself as an avenger of wrongs, and enjoyed a feeling of holding the power of life and death over people.

My theory is that this guy may have had narcissistic tendencies, felt under appreciated and under recognized (perhaps feeling special resentment towards the wealthy), and his rampage was a frenzy of narcissistic rage. I think his psychological motives for the shooting need to be delved into fully, and I suspect that there is much more to this story than just a business dispute.

We see a lot of 'narcissistic tendencies' - watching Prayuth deal with people, turning up at the site of mass murder and waving, smiling, and doing mini-heart signs at the cameras to entertain his fans... We see it also with a great many number of Thai drivers who would rather shoot someone than admit that they shouldn't really be pushing to get ahead of people already exceeding speed limits in busy traffic.

This behaviour is a mirror of some common issues with Thai culture.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

No. I don't buy it. Nobody would kill 30 innocent people over 50K. His problems were much deeper than that.  First clue is that his mother said he suffered from depression and a "bad temper".

And that's exactly the type of person you wouldn't want to cheat out of 50K thb, particularly given it was a higher ranking official in his chain of command in the Army.  Unless I'm mistaken, the killer specifically called out corruption in the Army as one of his "talking points" while he was still posting live on Facebook.  

One doesn't need to have "deeper" problems to get fed up with being crapped upon by corrupt government officials.  Read a few threads re: Thai Immigration to see how that can infuriate even the most rational person.

Edited by TheAppletons

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Thank goodness I'm not inclined to murder someone when a business deal goes south. I'd have many notches on my belt by now.

True enough, be a couple of "financial advisers" Bangkok based that would be pushing up daises now if I was so inclined, shame he had no dealings with them ????

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

All those dead and traumatised over a small amount of money.

How many people have been traumatised because two peoples greed. ?

I can't find figures regarding what a sergeant in the Thai army makes but I'm betting 50,000 baht is a lot of money to him or her. This doesn't excuse the shootings but at least I can fathom why he blew away the woman and the colonel. The rest just leave me baffled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A Lawyer was holding a payout of £675 for me (27,000Baht) but indicated just last week her fees were more than that so no payout!

Should I go and shoot her? Then what?

just tell her your considering your next move based on recent events.

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

nonsense ....  he can a normal guy who just said enough is enough, i'm sick of getting cheated, and he went 'of the rails'  ....  not on drugs, no mental illness, just snapped and said fak you all.

And you know this how?

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Losing face means losing credibility or respect. If someone stiffs him for 50k its a loss of face, in his mind anyway. "Losing face" is a very big deal in Thai culture.

No, "losing face" is a Thai excuse for using violence, nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe he had pre planned all this and mulled over what he will do if they refuse to pay up this time.

Once he had shot them both he knew he was a dead man walking, And rather than finish it there and then with a bullet to his head decided to go out and kill as many as he could.

He was not mental or unstable he is a cold blooded trained killer.

3 minutes ago, nev said:

I believe he had pre planned all this and mulled over what he will do if they refuse to pay up this time.

Once he had shot them both he knew he was a dead man walking, And rather than finish it there and then with a bullet to his head decided to go out and kill as many as he could.

He was not mental or unstable he is a cold blooded trained killer.

Hypothosis. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

An unsettled brokerage fee from real estate deal is believed to be the motive behind

and so he goes on a rampage killing 26 (some innocent) people for 50K..... life here it's not worth much or they are not telling us everything