I now have coronavirus

liddelljohn

Yours is the second account I have seen of someone getting a test supposedly for COVID that yields results in hours to a day. Both involved govt hospitals 

The actual tests available specific to this virus take much longer and would at this point require sending specimen to Bangkok.

I am not sure what they (the hospitals) are doing. Possibly testing for influenza A+B or even full respiratory oanel and considering the person negative for COVID if another culprit is found and suspect otherwise.

Can I ask if what you had was a nose swab or blood test?

• Like 2

Sounds same as symptoms I caught around November. I kept getting worse for over two weeks (at start small cough) to a point it started affecting my lungs then had to take antibiotics as was really sick (amoxillin and it made no effect so had to switch 5 days later). And vomits and stuff. T_T. Was bedridden a few days practically. But survived. I thought it was just normal strep throat that then spread to ear/lungs. Who knows maybe there was something else. Maybe not. Didn’t test.   And somehow last summer had exact some other  bs happen.  At that time I was so Couldn’t eat anything without vomiting, had 39.5 fever and felt so bad. I suspect food poisoning. Was so bad couldn’t even drink water. Ended going hospital so they put me water directly on blood. That helped lower fever. Survived as always. When they told me 7000 baht for these two hours, and asked if wanna stay for the night  was like. <deleted> no. Felt less sick right away. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drax said:

Sounds same as symptoms I caught around November. I kept getting worse for over two weeks (at start small cough) to a point it started affecting my lungs then had to take antibiotics as was really sick (amoxillin and it made no effect so had to switch 5 days later). And vomits and stuff. T_T. Was bedridden a few days practically. But survived. I thought it was just normal strep throat that then spread to ear/lungs. Who knows maybe there was something else. Maybe not. Didn’t test.   And somehow last summer had exact some other  bs happen.  At that time I was so Couldn’t eat anything without vomiting, had 39.5 fever and felt so bad. I suspect food poisoning. Was so bad couldn’t even drink water. Ended going hospital so they put me water directly on blood. That helped lower fever. Survived as always. When they told me 7000 baht for these two hours, and asked if wanna stay for the night  was like. <deleted> no. Felt less sick right away. 

For me, upper respiratory are feature of living in the North every November/December, almost always end up with a strong course of antibiotics for ten days or more, sometimes cause ear problems, sometimes with a cough, always with lots of ucky mucus. I'm not sure what it's all about but it's a regular feature each year, I put it down to the change in temperature and the drop in air quality.

6 hours ago, Haecksler said:

Hospitals filling up...... this number might difficult to obtain hence my question:

You mentioned "On other media some people start to share similar or even worse behaviours:" is it possible to mention this medias? 

I was thinking about social media, check posts from Richard Barrow in Thailand from 15 February 2020.  Anna Gibson describes that situation. 

https://www.facebook.com/richardbarrowthailand/posts/4048820208465149?comment_id=4048900465123790&reply_comment_id=4050279064985930

4 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

They have tested me again , results take 24 hours  and its seems the hospital is using a different test criteria from last week

Keeping fingers crossed, wishing you quick recovery, keep us posted if possible! 

• Like 1

Horrible pollution:  Asthma, lungs messed up, flem, sinus issues, headaches, can vomit as hard to digest food, and sometimes a slight fever.  BUT it's pollution related.....until this year.

Next month I'm sure hundreds of thousands will forget their symptoms from last year and believe they have Corona.  

A big test.... IF your legs are strong, it's not Corona.  Try some antihistamines at 711 for one day before you run off screaming Corona.  

they say self-containment for a month is good.  that seems unlikely to realistically happen.  

4 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

, They have tested me again , results take 24 hours  and its seems the hospital is using a different test criteria from last week ,,

I think everyone wishes you the best, but they wonder about your diagnosis. Tomorrow, when they call with test results , kindly ask which corona virus you have. There are these types:

1)  human corona virus (4 types OC43, 229E, NL63, HKU1)

2)  or new corona virus COVID-19  [bad]

They will know clearly. Your first test will also be in your medical records. -- Good luck.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 2:53 AM, gajpaw said:

g) or maybe Thailand is real Yoda among other countries in the region: wise, smart and just saying: don't panic people, carpe diem !

I suspect this is probably the case - they've probably figured out what's going to happen is going to happen, so it's better to avoid panic. Realistically if the R0 is really as high as it is in China then there's no way to fully contain this anyway and it will infect most of the population sooner or later. Having said that- it's a fact that corona viruses cannot survive long on surfaces in hot and humid weather, In China's current weather it can survive on surfaces for weeks but in Thailand weather it is no longer infectious within 1-2 hours. Realistically the R0 in Thailand is much lower than China.

There's also the point that Asians (and Asian men in particular) have the most pronounced ACE2 receptors (according to the 1000 Genome Project). This is what the virus uses to infect people. It's very likely that the virus is far more infectious to Asians than other races. This would explain why Japan and Singapore are seeing new infections regularly while countries without large Asian populations do not.

Of course it's also possible they're not even testing people unless the symptoms are severe, so all mild cases simply go unreported. I'd assume non-Asians would have less severe symptoms, in which case it's possible many many people already have it but are dismissed as cold/flu. I'm still not sure about my "cold" - I usually heal from colds within a few days, but this one has been going on for a week. I do feel better and most symptoms are gone already though. I live in a building full of Chinese Airbnb's, so would not be surprised if I actually got it but the symptoms are just not severe.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I suspect this is probably the case - they've probably figured out what's going to happen is going to happen, so it's better to avoid panic. Realistically if the R0 is really as high as it is in China then there's no way to fully contain this anyway and it will infect most of the population sooner or later. Having said that- it's a fact that corona viruses cannot survive long on surfaces in hot and humid weather, In China's current weather it can survive on surfaces for weeks but in Thailand weather it is no longer infectious within 1-2 hours. Realistically the R0 in Thailand is much lower than China.

There's also the point that Asians (and Asian men in particular) have the most pronounced ACE2 receptors (according to the 1000 Genome Project). This is what the virus uses to infect people. It's very likely that the virus is far more infectious to Asians than other races. This would explain why Japan and Singapore are seeing new infections regularly while countries without large Asian populations do not.

Of course it's also possible they're not even testing people unless the symptoms are severe, so all mild cases simply go unreported. I'd assume non-Asians would have less severe symptoms, in which case it's possible many many people already have it but are dismissed as cold/flu. I'm still not sure about my "cold" - I usually heal from colds within a few days, but this one has been going on for a week. I do feel better and most symptoms are gone already though. I live in a building full of Chinese Airbnb's, so would not be surprised if I actually got it but the symptoms are just not severe.

I think it is striking that out of 70,000+ cases and 1,700+ fatalities, no westerner has died from the virus. I think it's also telling the degree to which climate and temperature is playing a role in the spread of the virus, most prefer to think the easy answer of a cover up but I truly doubt it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlackJack said:

where can I get the pneumonia shot - not BPH as they charge over 6000 baht now

In Pattaya

There are many strains of pneumonia, the vaccination does not protect against them all but it does provide some protection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

• Some 80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and only 4.7% as critical.
  • The highest fatality rate is for people aged 80 and older, at 14.8%.
  • For children up to 9, there have been no fatalities and up to the age of 39, the death rate remains low at 0.2%.
  • For the next age groups, the fatality rates increase gradually: For people in their 40s it is 0.4%, in their 50s it is 1.3%, in their 60s it is 3.6% and their 70s it is 8%.
  • Looking at the sex ratio, men are more likely to die (2.8%) than women (1.7%).
  • Identifying which existing illnesses put patients at risk, the study finds cardiovascular disease at number one, followed by diabetes, chronic respiratory disease and hypertension
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

For the next age groups, the fatality rates increase gradually: For people in their 40s it is 0.4%, in their 50s it is 1.3%, in their 60s it is 3.6% and their 70s it is 8%.

To be precise, this is not case fatality rate (CFR) but just how many have died so far with the vast majority still in hospital awaiting outcome. By that criteria the cured rate is 17.5%

On 2/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, Sheryl said:

Yours is the second account I have seen of someone getting a test supposedly for COVID that yields results in hours to a day. Both involved govt hospitals 

The actual tests available specific to this virus take much longer and would at this point require sending specimen to Bangkok.

I am not sure what they (the hospitals) are doing. Possibly testing for influenza A+B or even full respiratory oanel and considering the person negative for COVID if another culprit is found and suspect otherwise.

Can I ask if what you had was a nose swab or blood test?

The Original tests were blood, urine and nose swab, and temperature taken ,, but im guessing the blood test would take time to anylyse ?? 

I forgot to mention that I had the annual UK FLU virus  vaccine jab back in September

Edited by liddelljohn

On 2/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, Sheryl said:

I too am amazed that you would not be put in isolation if really positive for Corona. 

Especially from a govetnment (military) hospital

More amazing stuff here: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/27/health/coronavirus-in-the-us-what-we-know-trnd/index.html

While the article is 6 days old, it lists 7 people that are confirmed coronovirus cases that are self isolating at home in the US.

I read that somewhere around 75-80% of infected people only have mild symptoms so maybe the view is to keep hospital beds free for the serious cases. But human nature being what it is, there will be people who won't be conscientious about maintaining self isolation.  

7 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

While the article is 6 days old, it lists 7 people that are confirmed coronovirus cases that are self isolating at home in the US.

And were they self-isolating for the 14 (or is 21 now) days for the virus to incubate before their coronavirus was detected?

27 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Exactly - they were already infected before they began their self-imposed isolation

What point are you trying to make? Liddelljohn started this post saying he was told he had coronavirus and almost everyone ( including  me) thought that wasn't possible since he was sent home. It turns out that the US is sending home people who have tested positive for coronavirus and telling them to self isolate. 

I am curious if if this is standard protocol in other countries. Seems like this decision has the potential to seriously backfire.

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Like 1

@liddelljohn If you're worried about developing pneumonia regardless of your progress here I would suggest purchasing a 'Pulse Oximeter' - google it.

It's a simple and cheap electronic device that clips onto a finger and allows you to measure the blood oxygen saturation as a simple percentage. If it falls below a certain percentage then it's time to seek additional advice. Just a heads up!

Maybe you've already got one but if not then something like this can be quite useful as an indicator that something's wrong before it becomes an emergency.

48 minutes ago, ukrules said:

@liddelljohn If you're worried about developing pneumonia regardless of your progress here I would suggest purchasing a 'Pulse Oximeter' - google it.

It's a simple and cheap electronic device that clips onto a finger and allows you to measure the blood oxygen saturation as a simple percentage. If it falls below a certain percentage then it's time to seek additional advice. Just a heads up!

Maybe you've already got one but if not then something like this can be quite useful as an indicator that something's wrong before it becomes an emergency.

I bought one. According to a doctor I spoke to you should head to the hospital if oxygen saturation falls under 95 but anyway breathing will already become laborious at this point so the oxymeter is not really usefull. 

Edited by Tayaout

On 2/18/2020 at 7:26 AM, saengd said:

I think it is striking that out of 70,000+ cases and 1,700+ fatalities, no westerner has died from the virus. I think it's also telling the degree to which climate and temperature is playing a role in the spread of the virus, most prefer to think the easy answer of a cover up but I truly doubt it is.

Sadly the Asians are more genetically disposed to get it theory doesn't hold up. And if it  does is more than likely to be cultural issues (many Chinese men smoke and the air is bad ) rather than genetic. I hope the Thailand temperature theory kills the virus holds up though it would explain the figures and provide some reassurance that Thailand will be able to contain the spread better than others.

I do though worry obsessing about this can do people no good. If you are excessively worried then have a good read of this leaflet produced for flu pandemics 3 years ago - sound, rational advice from the US government health body. Then maybe considering staying away from threads about this - I know not easy but some no doubt are getting very worried and the fear maybe worse than the virus.

If you require regular medication then now maybe a good time to stock up whilst you still can. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nonpharmaceutical-interventions/pdf/gr-pan-flu-ind-house.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1