Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

1 minute ago, tomartoh said:

Honda city would do the job but then not the same prestige as a Beemer.

Hmmm..there is a certain social cachet being arrested by a Beemer or a Merc whereas there is none when apprehended by a Honda or a Toyota..

If you're gonna go down you may as well do so in some sort of style.

Of course neither luxury cars compare with the Zimmer Alpha Centauri WTF2020 but that is a rare beast in Thailand...????

• Sad 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, Antonymous said:

And THIS is the primary reason why it makes perfect sense to use an agent even when you have all the necessary means to get a visa legitimately. Yes, the IO can and do make changes occasionally that you wouldn't have heard about, and also on any given day and with certain officers they can and do add a rule or two that are seemingly arbitrary. Why risk this happening to you when for about 3,000 baht a year you can avoid this? 

I have all the means to get my Visa but choose to use an agent  for the reason above. Plus I save hours of my time and absolutely zero stress in the process. Just do it.

I agree with you. I don't see the big deal some people make about using agents. In Cambodia and Vietnam, everyone uses an agent. Sometimes immigration won't even see you if you show up in person.

I even use an agent for my Myanmar visa, because I don't have the time or energy to wait in line at the embassy and then come all the way back to pick it up the next day, again having to wait in line for an hour. The agent does all the work for me, I spend less than 2 mins in their office and my passport is sent back to me. It wouldn't be cheaper for me to do it myself since I'd probably pay as much for parking and fuel costs to get out there a second time. This is when I need a business visa or use the one border crossing that doesn't accept e-visas. But the point of my story is that an agent is totally worth it - for a Myanmar visa all you need to present is your passport and 2 passport pictures. They fill out all the forms. Easy peasy. Probably even more worth it for a Thai visa extension as they handle everything with no stress.

8 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Were I from a country like Australia where the weather is fair there is no way I would come here other than for a vacation. 

If I'd had a reliable crystal ball, many years ago before I "expated" away from Australia, I wouldn't have come to Thailand, but life is not like that. We learn as we go... Australia is one of the few counties, if not the only country, where you can dial in your climate, from temperate regions that have snow to full tropical climates like Thailand, and every climate in between. You could literally ski and scuba dive in 30C waters on the same day. The best areas are around 25 - 30 degrees south IMO.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 2:45 AM, Psimbo said:

All this angst on many threads over the type of vehicle they are using. In the big scheme of things who gives a toss what sort of car they have? If I'm travelling long distances around the country I'd want a bit of comfort instead of a Hilux as well.

Get over it. 

Because it is whispered that the procurement of these was vastly inflated, and is part of the whole Big Joke demotion and shooting his car story.. 

Then you get near daily PR blitz on what wonderful tooks the 'smart cars' are for immigration, when in reality its simply a BMW with a laptop and data connection thats been made into a multi million baht cost. 

Thats 'why' it is notable.. They didnt just go to BMW and pay street pricing, or even get bulk pricing, they got a much murkier deal for 'special vehicles' and some people likely got nicely compensated. 

7 hours ago, starfish said:

"A 63 year old foreign pensioner wandering about in the area without a visa. Nabed by smart car and SWAT-team".

Truly avoided a threat to national security.

It´s just sad, how Thailand constantly wastes its energy on minor problems, while the country is falling apart.

I wonder who will be that the head of the line crying like a baby when Thailand finally says "Enough!" ... we are up to our eyeballs in broke Expats who drain our health care system at the Thai Tax payer expense.  ALL FOREIGNERS must have Thai Health Insurance to enter / stay in the Kingdom.  Second point ... where are you from that just lets ANYONE into the country to live fill time?  Are you being serious right now???

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

I wonder who will be that the head of the line crying like a baby when Thailand finally says "Enough!" ... we are up to our eyeballs in broke Expats who drain our health care system at the Thai Tax payer expense.  ALL FOREIGNERS must have Thai Health Insurance to enter / stay in the Kingdom.  Second point ... where are you from that just lets ANYONE into the country to live fill time?  Are you being serious right now???

What expats are draining the health care system, please let everyone know where the free expat health care is so they can join the queue. 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

Current Aussie

Old age Pension age is 66

34 minutes ago, Artisi said:

What expats are draining the health care system, please let everyone know where the free expat health care is so they can join the queue. 

The Medical Hub Division had reported that there were 40 million foreign visitors to Thailand annually, and many sought treatment for ailments or injuries at public hospitals but failed to fully pay the bills, resulting in multi-million baht of debt.

The public health ministry has announced that it will provide training to public hospitals in touristy provinces including Chiang Mai, Phuket, Surat Thani, and Ubon Ratchathani to help them collect overdue fees from tourists. This latest measure has been introduced with the aim of reducing hospital debt.

Apart from offering training to relevant medical establishments, the department has also established central claim centers in Nonthaburi and at Suvarnabhumi airport, as well as pilot regional centers to follow up with foreigners whose payments were overdue.

And since this elderly gent was NOT in any system, because he "dropped out" ... he would be impossible to track if / when he skipped paying his bill.

Do you live in Thailand?  Because most people are aware of this ... my THAI friends sure do .. and they are fed up working, paying taxes, and having foreigners screw the system!!

Edited by Guest
More Information

9 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

Doesn’t it make us all feel welcome here to know that the government encourage locals to spy on us and report us - just for seeing us wandering around, even if they have no idea who we are and whether we are here legally or not. Just horrific. 

You need to understand that this elderly gent went to a very small village and stuck out like a sore thumb.  Like all small villages around the world ... people react to strangers ... especially if the feel the stranger ... is acting ... strangely.  Gossiping and getting the authorities attention is as old as time ... relax 007 ... no one is "spying" on Foreigners who behave normally and have noting to hide.  Oh .. by the way ..he was in fact, breaking the law, buts let's not stub our toe on that little fact????

7 hours ago, Timwin said:

Another farang stopped from spending his pension in Thailand. Congratulations! Good job! No wonder the tourism industry is in the toilet and getting deeper into <deleted>. 

Looks more like a broke farang to me. Why doesn't he have a proper O-A visa if he has the money? Over here in Malaysia, many are already complaining that the MM2H financial requirement was rather low. And yet we can see some farangs, presumably coming from richer countries, having problems raising the required pathetic 800k baht for a Thai retirement visa. Unbelievable. No wonder the Thai immigration had to do something about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

The Medical Hub Division had reported that there were 40 million foreign visitors to Thailand annually, and many sought treatment for ailments or injuries at public hospitals but failed to fully pay the bills, resulting in multi-million baht of debt.

The public health ministry has announced that it will provide training to public hospitals in touristy provinces including Chiang Mai, Phuket, Surat Thani, and Ubon Ratchathani to help them collect overdue fees from tourists. This latest measure has been introduced with the aim of reducing hospital debt.

Apart from offering training to relevant medical establishments, the department has also established central claim centers in Nonthaburi and at Suvarnabhumi airport, as well as pilot regional centers to follow up with foreigners whose payments were overdue.

And since this elderly gent was NOT in any system, because he "dropped out" ... he would be impossible to track if / when he skipped paying his bill.

Do you live in Thailand?  Because most people are aware of this ... my THAI friends sure do .. and they are fed up working, paying taxes, and having foreigners screw the system!!

Yes I live in Thailand and have done so for 20 years, do you? 

Your initial comment was expats, but seems you have the difference between expats and visitors very confused. 

Would add, that all expats I know pay their way. 

On 2/16/2020 at 1:37 AM, sambum said:

Phew! Confused, and why so many "......."s"?

Yes, Point taken, I have reduced the !!!'s ... and I CAN reduce the ...."S ... the Buddhist number 3 .... but well what started out fun may YES have become a bit of a pain. ... I will have a go at Reducing them.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:06 AM, ChipButty said:

To me it just shows he's not very smart he would stand out like a spare <deleted> at a wedding in sticky rice land he would be better off in a big city where he would just blend in, but then again he is an Aussie.

Hope the person who grassed him up feels a lot better now could have been a fellow Aussie

Aussies don’t grass

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fdbob said:

Hope the person who grassed him up feels a lot better now could have been a fellow Aussie

Could also have been any person of any nationality in the village, or anyone passing through who knew a resident

We know it was not the sick buffalo as he does not have a smart phone or even a dumb one

Edited by RJRS1301

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Yes I live in Thailand and have done so for 20 years, do you? 

Your initial comment was expats, but seems you have the difference between expats and visitors very confused. 

Would add, that all expats I know pay their way. 

Nice piece of hair splitting ... could it be that since the Foreigner has left the hospital, and skipped the bill ... WITHOUT A TRACE they just lump them all as "visitors?"  Anyway, this elderly gentleman is neither a "visitor" or an Expat ... he is an outlaw.  And yes, I live in The Kingdom, and have for a very long time.  What may make us different is I am "living the dream" ... have never been more grateful and happy ... and will end my days in Thailand.  I appreciate the opportunity to emigrate here, with very little hassle, and a reasonable financial bar to meet. I grow weary with the daily dump Thai Visa takes on The Kingdom and the People who ALLOW us to live here.  I used to get angry, now I just pity the spineless jellyfish that washed up on the beach, and has neither the means, motivation, or spine to pack up and head to places that are "so much better than Thailand." All they have the power to do is gather in a flock every day, and cry like helpless babies.  Funny ... really!  555!

On 2/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Timwin said:

Another farang stopped from spending his pension in Thailand. Congratulations! Good job! No wonder the tourism industry is in the toilet and getting deeper into <deleted>. 

Clearlydidnt want to spend is pension on little legal niceties like tax, visas etc.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, tropo said:

If I'd had a reliable crystal ball, many years ago before I "expated" away from Australia, I wouldn't have come to Thailand, but life is not like that. We learn as we go... Australia is one of the few counties, if not the only country, where you can dial in your climate, from temperate regions that have snow to full tropical climates like Thailand, and every climate in between. You could literally ski and scuba dive in 30C waters on the same day. The best areas are around 25 - 30 degrees south IMO.

Australia is a fine country but it's not what it used to be. The reasons for becoming an expat and moving to countries like Thailand are complex, it's difficult to sum up in a few words. I think if globalization didn't cause much of Australia's manufacturing capacity to be lost to developing nations and if the standard of living were still like back in the 60s and 70s when everyone could afford a house and university education was free, the cost of living was relatively low and with plenty of jobs to go around, there would have been no reason to leave the country.

Thailand, despite being a developing country all along has also "grown up" becoming more expensive, more polluted and somewhat more crime ridden than in the past. That being said, it's important to put things into perspective. Australia has become an expensive nanny state, finding work isn't as easy as it used to be and even if you get a good job, affording the mortgage, car payments and everything else means you have relatively little left over to put aside. Eating out is considered a luxury that relatively few Aussies can afford to do on a regular basis.

It would be awesome to become a farmer living in tropical north Queensland but it's probably a pipe dream for most. Cyclones, droughts, bush fires, floods and land being sold off to greedy foreign corporations has become a reality you have to cope with. Local retailers like Coles and Woolworths prefer to buy cheaper imported produce. Elsewhere in the country, it's becoming almost impossible to live off the land - just look at the recent fires and before that, the endless droughts. Australia could be self-sufficient if it wanted to be but globalization ensures it won't be and that's not even taking into account the harsh climatic conditions in many parts of the country. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HowieD said:

Elderly?  63 years old?

The language used to describe a persons age feeds into covert ageism, I am uncertain as to why terms such as "elderly" are required, just state the age of the individual.