habuspasha

There is 22 yrs between us. After 10 yrs together we are both still very happy. My children and family treat her wonderfully. My friends here want to meet someone like her. 

The future is unknown but I have built and planned a house so I can stay here till the end (30+ years I hope) She actually thinks she might go before me ???? because of my families longevity. 

Live life to the full. 

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dont over analyze it, there is no one size fits all with relationships.

Consenting adults and what works for you both is all that matters. Enjoy what time you have when and while you can.

Brilliant summation! ????

"Consenting adults" is one of my guiding principles. Those 2 words say such a lot.

9 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Thank you for sharing this video. I really enjoyed the song and the singer's voice. I was also intrigued by what the song might reveal about Thai attitudes about older man younger woman relationships.

After watching the video a bunch of times and trying to decipher the Isaan lyrics, the conclusion I came to is that the song is not the celebration of older guy/younger women relationships that I initially thought it was. What the song turns out to be is a light-hearted but nonetheless pointed caution to younger women about being seduced by money and wealth into a relationship with an older guy. 

The older guy's age is mocked throughout the song. The man is described as "being the same age as the mother" and the girl is described as a "teenager." Her love for him is described as "loving a wrinkled heart." The older guy has heart palpitations and a fainting spell when he gets a close look at her boobs. When he meets the mother for the first time he's wearing old fashioned clothes and geeky glasses, but when he shows up for his first date with the young girl he has a new wardrobe and sun glasses, and tries to appear young and cool by making hip hand gestures in response to the girl's hand gestures. The guy is again mocked by showing him plucking out his gray hairs every night in order to stay attractive and having to drink aphrodisiacs to make sure he can sexually perform. There are also lines in the song about her being lonely, and about him sometimes being cheap despite having money.

His appeal to her is depicted as based entirely on money. He woos the girl by taking her on a clothes shopping trip and wins further gifts for her at a county fair. His appeal is his new pickup truck and 700,000 baht bank account. 

Their relationship is not actually that of husband and wife. The young girl is depicted as joining the guy's household as a minor wife or mistress (gik). Note that there are other women around after she moves into his household who appear to be older wives.

EDIT: for some reason I missed the final sequence of the video where she is lured away by a guy her age at a concert, and then is torn between going off with the young motorcyclist or staying with the older guy and ultimately chooses to stay with the older guy. Despite the 'happily ever after' ending of the video, I'd still say the song's message is largely cautionary.

Anybody has a different take on this, would love to hear what they have to say.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Only 19 years older than the wife, but has lasted 11 years ans one daughter so far. Never had any age appropriate comments here in Thailand, but certainly get some envious questions in the pub back in the UK ....

As far as the rest of my UK relatives go, best summed up by the comment made by a cousins daughter, overheard by my son - 'Oh, he's the black sheep of the family'. My son was offended, but i was amused - i was always considered the studious nerd, but have changed that by marrying 2 foreign girls. I feel at last i have reached my true potential! The rest of the family are very much baptist, Daily Mail readers who would never dream of divorce or breaking the smallest law, and heaven forbid, consorting with foreigners!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Thank you for sharing this video. I really enjoyed the song and the singer's voice. I was also intrigued by what the song might reveal about Thai attitudes about older man younger woman relationships.

After watching the video a bunch of times and trying to decipher the Isaan lyrics, the conclusion I came to is that the song is not the celebration of older guy/younger women relationships that I initially thought it was. What the song turns out to be is a light-hearted but nonetheless pointed caution to younger women about being seduced by money and wealth into a relationship with an older guy. 

The older guy's age is mocked throughout the song. The man is described as "being the same age as the mother" and the girl is described as a "teenager." Her love for him is described as "loving a wrinkled heart." The older guy has heart palpitations and a fainting spell when he gets a close look at her boobs. When he meets the mother for the first time he's wearing old fashioned clothes and geeky glasses, but when he shows up for his first date with the young girl he has a new wardrobe and sun glasses, and tries to appear young and cool by making hip hand gestures in response to the girl's hand gestures. The guy is again mocked by showing him plucking out his gray hairs every night in order to stay attractive and having to drink aphrodisiacs to make sure he can sexually perform. There are also lines in the song about her being lonely, and about him sometimes being cheap despite having money.

His appeal to her is depicted as based entirely on money. He woos the girl by taking her on a clothes shopping trip and wins further gifts for her at a county fair. His appeal is his new pickup truck and 700,000 baht bank account. 

Their relationship is not actually that of husband and wife. The young girl is depicted as joining the guy's household as a minor wife or mistress (gik). Note that there are other women around after she moves into his household who appear to be older wives.

EDIT: for some reason I missed the final sequence of the video where she is lured away by a guy her age at a concert, and then is torn between going off with the young motorcyclist or staying with the older guy and ultimately chooses to stay with the older guy. Despite the 'happily ever after' ending of the video, I'd still say the song's message is largely cautionary.

Thank you Alex and Gecko.  Entertaining and informative.  On 2nd viewing I think Gecko's interpretation holds up (through viewing because my Thai is very basic).  But there is a note at 4:33 that seems to establish a sound reason for spurning the young guy: she remembers him pushing her down from the motorcycle.  He beats her; papa cares for her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

And..

12 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I take it as the girl is better off with a guy that treats her well, and has money, no matter what his age.

Most guys get to see that video on their first 'bar girl' date.

As a side note, it implies Issan girls are for sale.

Edited by BritManToo

16 minutes ago, Yinn said:

And..

Thank you Yinn. I can't really make out what the first song is about. I'm guessing that it's badmouthing an older guy for being unfaithful and constantly cheating? The second song has subtitles which helps a bit. Is this song a younger woman badmouthing the wife of an older lover? I was going to ask you if you knew of any other songs just about love affairs/romantic relationships between older men and younger women?

@Yinn

I am a little bit scared to ask you, but do you agree with my interpretation of the song posted by Alex2554 ผู้บ่าวเฒ่ากับสาววัยทีน? It is hard for me to tell if this song is making social commentary or just a light-hearted male fantasy song about having a much younger lover. My thinking was that it is making social commentary, but in the end the young girl sticks with the older guy. I think the "feel good" ending of the video was done just to give the video a wider appeal to both men and women, but I can't tell for sure. Do you have any thoughts about this?

Edited by Gecko123

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

ผู้บ่าวเฒ่ากับสาววัยทีน? It is hard for me to tell if this song is making social commentary or just a light-hearted male fantasy song about having a much younger lover.

it's just one of a million Issan joke songs about older unattractive gentlemen looking for love.

Here's a similar one I quite like.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

@Yinn

I am a little bit scared to ask you, but do you agree with my interpretation of the song posted by Alex2554 ผู้บ่าวเฒ่ากับสาววัยทีน? It is hard for me to tell if this song is making social commentary or just a light-hearted male fantasy song about having a much younger lover. My thinking was that it is making social commentary, but in the end the young girl sticks with the older guy. I think the "feel good" ending of the video was done just to give the video a wider appeal to both men and women, but I can't tell for sure. Do you have any thoughts about this?

Yes, your interpretation is ok. 

But it just the song.

Also Issan “thinking” is different to other region thing, generally speaking IMO. 

Different region Thailand have different food, language, culture etc. Not the same. 

And not all Issan women are the same thinking.

IMO thaivisa topics talk about thai people like have same brain. Is stupid.

Everyone different. 

I think most member have Issan family, wife, girlfriend etc. So a lot of “Thainess” TVF talk about is really “issanness”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, habuspasha said:

I want to thank so many of you for being so supportive about our age difference.  Your responses made me feel among friends. Not what I expected, I must admit.  The few barbs were ok.  I’d rather people spoke their minds than played nice.  However, this kind of truthful interchange works, I think, partially because we are anonymous.  So without giving too much away, I’d like to return the favor by answering your questions.  1, I am the same bloke who wanted more kissing, but I didn’t want to muddy the waters on that thread with an old-man confession that would have given many of the doubters a false positive (or should I say a false negative).  I was asking about cultural differences.  The loving and sex are fine, even pushing 80.  2, We’ve been together more than 5 years, since our early 30's and 70's.  And 3, I do intend to take care of the children (they are hers).

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

But it just the song.

Also Issan “thinking” is different to other region thing, generally speaking IMO. 

Different region Thailand have different food, language, culture etc. Not the same. 

Everyone different. 

I think most member have Issan family, wife, girlfriend etc. So a lot of “Thainess” TVF talk about is really “issanness”. 

Insaneness, more like  

????

On 2/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, Yinn said:

But it just the song.

Everyone different. 

Thank you, Yinn.  Your distinction between "Thainess" and "Isaanness" is very interesting.  How might Isaan people think differently from Thai people about age and big age differences?

13 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Thank you, Yinn.  Your distinction between "Thainess" and "Isaanness" is very interesting.  How might Isaan people think differently from Thai people about age and big age differences?

These Beautiful Couples Proved Age Is Just A Number

https://www.teddyfeed.com/trending/age-gap-famous-couples/?utm_source=Yahoo&utm_medium=HOMEPAGE_US&utm_campaign=AgeDiff+OG+C1+-+Desktop+US+TF1+YA