Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai court dissolves opposition party critical of military rule

Jonathan Fairfield

Tears and ‘three-finger salutes’

By THE NATION

800_5a35bc175312b37.jpg

Gloom prevails over the party's headquarter after the court's verdict was read.

Supporters of the Future Forward Party were shocked by the Constitutional Court’s decision on Friday (February 21) to dissolve the party, but many were soon defiantly raising “three-finger salutes” in protest against the conservative establishment.

382464.jpg

Supporters in tears and dismay.

Party headquarters in Bangkok was overcome by a sombre mood after the court’s verdict was read. There were tears and shouts of dismay, while others quietly jotted down their feelings on paper and otherwise avoided unseemly reactions in accordance with the party executive’s request. The court revoked the executives’ right to contest any elections for 10 years and prohibited them from registering a new party in that time.

S__7946259.jpg

Some quietly jot down their feelings on paper or ipad.

The court ruled that the money Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, party leader, dished out in loans represented a massive donation – illegal under Section 66 of the Political Parties Act, which limits donations to Bt10 million per year.

S__7946256(1).jpg

Holding back from unseemly reactions as advised by party executives.

382442.jpg

382475.jpg

S__7946261.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382584

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-22

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

I hope the country sinks to depths never seen before.

It's the only way to get this apathetic nation to rise against these odious, despicable characters.

I have wondered when the straw that breaks the camels back will come for.....years. I do wonder whether this nation is now too pacified to act. There have been many, many times over the past decade AT LEAST where I thought the straw would drop....it never came. Your thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Are you being sarcastic or do you honestly think this?  Very difficult to tell sometimes on a forum. 191 million is an egregious amount of money for 1 person to give to a political party. That kind of money controls a political party, which is exactly what the law was written to avoid. Trying to get around the rules by calling it a loan was flagrantly against the intent of the law and just asking for trouble.

In any case, while legally the ruling was required given how obvious the offense was, I really wish they hadn't done it. The court has made horrible decisions for biased political reasons in the past. Couldn't they have seen their way to make a bad legal decision in this case also? Disbanding the FFP is hardly in the best interests of the country. I suspect if this had been Prayut's "donation" under investigation they would have found a way to look the other way.

You make a salient point,this decision shows up Thanathorn's inexperience in dealing with Thai politics he could do well to take a few pointers from the Health Minister and play his cards much closer to his chest.Who knows if he will now find himself as a neighbour of a couple of previous failed Thai politicians  in a country that is not Thailand.Does he have the tenacity to wait for ten years as well as a few years in gaol?

• Like 1

Some inflammatory posts and replies have been removed:

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to other forum members, as well as to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

Posts using trolling memes or trolling videos have been removed. 

1 minute ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I agree however, that has been the case in many other countries in the past. Take a look at the people of Hong Kong, getting the <deleted> beaten out of them....and coming back for more.....a different breed perhaps?

Totally different breed, educated and motivated!

• Like 2

Just now, PatOngo said:

Totally different breed, educated and motivated!

Yup. In generl, Thais just don't have the hardware.

They think they do, they think they have the best hardware in the world but they don't. It just doesn't work.

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

Yup. In generl, Thais just don't have the hardware.

They think they do, they think they have the best hardware in the world but they don't. It just doesn't work.

A rogue soldier proved recently that it does work!

4 hours ago, paddypower said:

this aint over, is it?  The future belongs to the youth of Thailand. Since markets hate uncertainty, I suspect that this will start a decline in the Baht? If so, it will not matter to most expats, other than you will see an inprovement in the FX rate for your home currency.

The decline of the Baht got a re-start after the verdict came out. The Euro is up to over 34 Baht again. It is little, but the market reacted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They dissolved (seized) 181 million baht from the party apparently.

"The money in excess of 10 million baht, or 181.3 million baht, will also be seized and put in the Political Party Development fund.

Woaw, mind blowing! No further comments ... we are not allowed to say what we think. 

• Like 2