The laugh emoji - confused poster

Nigel Garvie

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I use the laugh reaction all the time. Half the time I'm laughing with the poster, the other half I'm laughing at them.

Might I suggest a new icon be added, this one ought to clarify the thought process :

Was I laughing with you or at you!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So now the smiley face is being used to troll as others have already admitted in this thread. Facepalm would do the job.

They are all used (can be) to troll in one way or another, a hit n run and if you will.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

They are all used to troll in one way or another, a hit n run and if you will.

Then give people a trolling emoticon to troll with such as the facepalm. I only use smiley faces on posts that I find genuinly amusing, never to troll. There shouldn't be any confusion about a smiley face, as the OP said it can sometimes put one off from using it for genuine reasons.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The same could be said for any of them, the answer is simple, dont use them, this is a discussion forum forum after all, not a sticker forum  or comic, despite the content posted by some at times.

If you have a thought or comment, articulate it, dont be lazy !

But then if a lot of people found a post amusing there would be 50 riposte posts along the lines of :

There is a lot to be said for brevity.

37 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The same could be said for any of them, the answer is simple, dont use them, this is a discussion forum forum after all, not a sticker forum  or comic, despite the content posted by some at times.

I'm sure that your computer gives excellent functionality on TVF, but sometimes it takes so long for my computer to load anything on TVF that I'm not going to reply in writing to everything, but neither am I going to let some outrageous statement go unchallenged, or something I agree with go unrewarded.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sure that your computer gives excellent functionality on TVF, but sometimes it takes so long for my computer to load anything on TVF that I'm not going to reply in writing to everything, but neither am I going to let some outrageous statement go unchallenged, or something I agree with go unrewarded.

So just imagine how much better it would run without having to load 1000+ of emojis in the database each time someone clicks the emoji icon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

So just imagine how much better it would run without having to load 1000+ of emojis in the database each time someone clicks the emoji icon.

and just imagine how wonderful TVF would be without having to wait for all the things we ain't allowed to discuss to load every time we change a page or post something. I remember the good old days when TVF functioned perfectly well, but that was long ago.

We didn't have any emojis back then, and I certainly didn't ask for them, but we were all friends in those glorious days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think there should only be the "Like" reaction. all the others diminish the function of this forum.

If someone thinks a post is funny they should say so. If they are "Confused' they should say why so that the poster explains him/her self and such confusion is removed, If a poster is "Sad" they should express their sadness in song or poetry LOL . All of the above suggestions would bring forum participation up, the current system only server those with nothing to say, to pretend that they do but are to superior to waste their time.

I wonder how many "Sad" reactions I will get for this post and sad to say no poetry and not even a song. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It's a quite simple concept to grasp once one looks at the overall score or reputation someone has. If you give a laugh they get plus one on their reputation count, same as a like or a thanks. Confused and sad do NOT give an addition to their reputation and hence, credibility.

I see a lot of far right and far left posters making outrageous claims and being laughed at, which gives them a positive score, when one of the negative ones might have been more appropriate.

Most people from the tone of their post know if someone is laughing with them, or at them, and the other emojis are even simpler.

I just  gave  you a thanks. Because it gives me a clear explanation of the emoji relevance.

I am sure somewhere in the depths of the "rules"  of TVF  it is also explained  somewhere  but as a person who on occasion buys a  kit set and attempts to assemble it  without reference to the instructions ( so often in  bad  Chinglish in these times) I am sure I am not alone.

But I  can agree  with  the OP in that although I  have almost always used it  in the appreciative sense I understand the  use of it as a derogative that some have a habit in attempt is ironically negative in a sense. 

I admit I have more than once  used  the "thanks" in the context of "thankyou  for that expression of  opinion"  which  may be not as intended  but I think most  would understand that use.

But I do think that a "thumbs up " emoji would be appropriate as an alternative  to  the  ambiguous  use  of " Thanks".

If a  "thumbs down" emoji is deemed too negative then perhaps  the ???? would suffice ?

????

Edited by Dumbastheycome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes.

If you post 1st page will always get high sticker amount. Sure. 

But if same Yinn and Danny, we always fighting each other page 20+. Not care the sticker, care the topic.

Also a thaibash post on first page always = many like sticker.

Three member, D, C and K always like to post the first page. Like to be first post, no time to read the link. Say anything.  I think because they want “like”. Important for them reputation score. I not care score, I care the true story= not popular.

Before the POTY game I not give much sticker. But when play the game, I joke “vote buy” strategy, give so many “like and thankyou” sticker every post, everybody. 

I do for joke, but NOBODY understand/see my joke. 

Also so I use the bikini model for “like” sticker. 555555 so easy.

Some of us understood. I thing that the rest did too but will never admit it. 555

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1