Bathroom tiles

Neeranam

If the old tiles where laid  properly  without massive voids in the cement and none are loose then its ok to lay new on top

( may have to cut the bottom off of doors !)...but many times the originals here are  laid using the "sarapow"  method  ie just a couple of blobs of cement per tile  they crack and break easily and sound hollow when you tap them..if yours sound hollow best to rip it up and start again..if its a bathroom make sure they get the slope right ????

• Thanks 1

It can be done but it is not recommended.

Is it a very big Lob?

I would remove the old ones. First as said by worgeordie you wold need special glue , and the integrity of the job would depend on the condition of the old tiles, then you would be concerned with building up the floor by the additional thickness of mortar and tiles, and how it will affect doorways'

Some tiles are easy to remove, and wages are inexpensive in Thailand, The person removing them does not need to be skilled. I am about to do it in my kitchen at US home ( i have white tiles and hate them) . They are installed on s concrete slub same as in Thailand. I happen to have the tool needed from my working days, but I am sure you can rent one in Thailand

You need a chipping gun with a paddle chisel. .Show then the picture.

Image result for chipping gun with a paddle attachment

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It can be done but it is not recommended.

Is it a very big Lob?

I would remove the old ones. First as said by worgeordie you wold need special glue , and the integrity of the job would depend on the condition of the old tiles, then you would be concerned with building up the floor by the additional thickness of mortar and tiles, and how it will affect doorways'

Some tiles are easy to remove, and wages are inexpensive in Thailand, The person removing them does not need to be skilled. I am about to do it in my kitchen at US home ( i have white tiles and hate them) . They are installed on s concrete slub same as in Thailand. I happen to have the tool needed from my working days, but I am sure you can rent one in Thailand

You need a chipping gun with a paddle chisel. .Show then the picture.

Image result for chipping gun with a paddle attachment

the tiles in the photo are laid with a thin bed tile cement( look at the ridges) unlike thailand where the tiles are laid on a thick bed of sand and cement'

if i were to overtile here in Thailand i would check how well stuck the tiles are first, if they are porcelain then they will not be stuck but merely laid on top of the sand and cement, porcelain will not stick to sand and cement. if sound relay fresh tiles ontop after cleaning well and using a good primer, with a thin bed weber adhesive with a 3mm grout join.

i replaced some 600 x 600 porcelain tiles in a friends bedroom that popped up overnight, all the tiles were removed, ( none were stuck down, we later reused them in another bedroom) i then used a thin bed of cheap tile adhesive to smooth the thick bed sand and cement, and relaid some new 600x600 porcelain tiles, using some weber thin bed adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles, using a notched trowel, i then removed the 600x600 porcelain tiles from 2 further bedrooms which were loose, and relaid the tiles from the 3 bedrooms, again use weber thin bed adhesive with a 3mm grout joint. which should be the minimum grout joint

i am a professional floor and wall tiler in the Uk, and have been since 1973, ( off and on, bad for the knees), in the UK we now only fix tiles with a thin bed tile adhesive.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the tiles in the photo are laid with a thin bed tile cement( look at the ridges) unlike thailand where the tiles are laid on a thick bed of sand and cement'

if i were to overtile here in Thailand i would check how well stuck the tiles are first, if they are porcelain then they will not be stuck but merely laid on top of the sand and cement, porcelain will not stick to sand and cement. if sound relay fresh tiles ontop after cleaning well and using a good primer, with a thin bed weber adhesive with a 3mm grout join.

i replaced some 600 x 600 porcelain tiles in a friends bedroom that popped up overnight, all the tiles were removed, ( none were stuck down, we later reused them in another bedroom) i then used a thin bed of cheap tile adhesive to smooth the thick bed sand and cement, and relaid some new 600x600 porcelain tiles, using some weber thin bed adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles, using a notched trowel, i then removed the 600x600 porcelain tiles from 2 further bedrooms which were loose, and relaid the tiles from the 3 bedrooms, again use weber thin bed adhesive with a 3mm grout joint. which should be the minimum grout joint

i am a professional floor and wall tiler in the Uk, and have been since 1973, ( off and on, bad for the knees), in the UK we now only fix tiles with a thin bed tile adhesive.

Very good reply ^^

I an not a professional but I have done my fair share if tiles. and laminate floors. My main concern now are also my knees and back (63 years old) . I just removed the carpet and laid laminate floor  on one of the bedrooms in our Florida home, I was in pain for days LOL.

Our house in Thailand is only two years old, so I hope to never have to deal with any of that, but if I was to do it, I would remove a couple of tiles to see how easy they come up,

If the do not come up easy,I would fill and level the void of the ones I removed  , and check the rest of the tiles for structural integrity.

As a professional you  of course know this, but for the benefit of others,,  you can tell by knocking on each tile, if the tile is loose or not well attached you get a hollow sound different from the others. In my kitchen I have one of them, I Know it the moment I step on it (even though it does not move)   by the sound my step makes.  

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1