What is a good thing to walk to from West Pattaya to East?

Hal65

Did this type of walk many times. But indeed, you need a 'landmark' a place which is your target. When walking, look around and you will discover many interesting places and also meet a lot of interesting people. Don't be afraid for getting tired, there's always a motorbike taxi (or in some case at irregular intervals a baht-bus) around. You may even not arrive at your destination as there are many and really many bars and restaurants on the dark side. Be very careful and watch out for cars, motorbikes and dogs....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Use google maps. First part can be done by baht-bus or motorbike taxi.....

to go along with that idea, baht bus to the end of nern plubwarn, pick out a route to walk back on google maps. a few refreshment stops en route. the only two things I can think that may be of interest is the temple at the end of the baht bus trip (beginning of the walk back) and Dao Bar for a quickie before getting back to the hustle bustle of sukhumwit.

another idea is top of siam cc, around lake mabprachan and back down the soi. when the legs start giving out jump on a baht bus or mo-cy taxi.

Edited by jastheace
  • Like 1

Walking back towards Suk is a good idea  and could be extended to Khao Noi and first getting transport to near the temple (Wat Boon Samphan) at the top of the hill.

Then a wander back down, with a choice of eating places, say, Tropical bar / Welcome Inn / Murphys Irish Bar and a new sports bar (Double Kiss Talay) located at The Chill (Tops) which has six pool tables and looks quite decent. Then grab a mototaxi and head back west before it gets dark........

There are also a number of easily spotted bars around, should you be looking just for refreshments and a bit of company.....

just a thought to add. silverlake vineyards near the 'budha mountain' has some nice terrain and views.

take the Sattahip/ rayong baht bus or local bus that goes satthaip/rayong/chantaburi, both have several stops along the sukhumwit, then a nice walk from where you see the sign. the navy grounds have some nice walks along beaches (just south of bang sare). need ID at entrance ( close to sukhumwit km167?)

On 2/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, Halfaboy said:

When walking, look around and you will discover many interesting places and also meet a lot of interesting people

Sure.

If you think girls in swim suits with high heels and old sad sacks with Male Pregnancy Syndrome are "interesting", you are correct-o-mundo. ????

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2020 at 12:12 AM, Hal65 said:

I see two lakes nearby. Do you guys have any opinions on Lake Huai Chak Nok vs Lake Mabprachan?

I would say Mabprachan. Great walking/cycle track. Bicycle hire very cheap. Plenty of bars and restaurants. I was there yesterday to visit friends Mind you the water level is very low so a lot of it is now grassland!

Take South Pattaya Road out to Suk, turn right and at the first set of traffic lights head east up Soi Khao Talo. There are lots of markets and shops along the soi, which is a gentle but continuous gradient up the hill. Also plenty of bars and restaurants along the way if you get thirsty or peckish, the Booze Lounge is very popular. When you get to the junction at the top of the hill, you can turn left down Khao Noi back to Suk, or go right a short distance to Siamburi's and pick up some cheap cheese and other farang goodies. Some more bars a bit further along, like the Birdcage. When you've had enough just find a motorbike taxi to take you back home so you can enjoy the cheese!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Take South Pattaya Road out to Suk, turn right and at the first set of traffic lights head east up Soi Khao Talo. There are lots of markets and shops along the soi, which is a gentle but continuous gradient up the hill. Also plenty of bars and restaurants along the way if you get thirsty or peckish, the Booze Lounge is very popular. When you get to the junction at the top of the hill, you can turn left down Khao Noi back to Suk, or go right a short distance to Siamburi's and pick up some cheap cheese and other farang goodies. Some more bars a bit further along, like the Birdcage. When you've had enough just find a motorbike taxi to take you back home so you can enjoy the cheese!

Quite a long walk that is, I would fall asleep on the back of the MC!

Sounds like a typical walk my mates and I would do back in the mid 90's.  We would roll up to the Diana Inn on a Friday afternoon after driving down from Bangkok.  Check in and always had room even though we didn't have an advance booking.  Soi Buakhao didn't really exist like it does today.  It was a dirt road for most of it and not much there.  We would cross 2nd road and go over to Soi Post Office and have a few beers there.  Our end destination was usually the TQ.  How long it would take us to get there was always unpredictable but it sure was never accomplished in 90 minutes!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Quite a long walk that is, I would fall asleep on the back of the MC!

Yeah, you're right, it is. I've got a mate with a house in Jomtien (View Talay Villas, roughly opposite Soi 5) and he doesn't have a car and won't travel by motorbike, but he does like the cheese and other delights in Siamburi's. So he walks over to the Baht Bus stop on Thepprasit, takes one of those out to Suk, and then hikes all the way up Khao Talo and back again with his shopping. Good exercise, but he says that it's a bit of a slog going up the hill. I'll stick to driving there.

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, you're right, it is. I've got a mate with a house in Jomtien (View Talay Villas, roughly opposite Soi 5) and he doesn't have a car and won't travel by motorbike, but he does like the cheese and other delights in Siamburi's. So he walks over to the Baht Bus stop on Thepprasit, takes one of those out to Suk, and then hikes all the way up Khao Talo and back again with his shopping. Good exercise, but he says that it's a bit of a slog going up the hill. I'll stick to driving there.

Should mature the cheddar!

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2020 at 5:24 AM, scubascuba3 said:

A good walk is walk to beach road, through walking Street then past Bali hai pier, up the steps by the lighthouse then up and through Pratamak to the Mountain loop then head back to the beach or Buakhao

Screenshot_20190904-143624_1.png

Agree, even though it's the most obvious walk to do here, surprised you're the only one who's mentioned it. Early morning the skies and sea can be beautiful and not too many people around.