Thai man, 21, latest victim of Covid-19

rooster59

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Well this is wrong.  Normal human body temperature is 370C and goes above 400C when you get a flu or coronavirus but the virus does not die.

It needs moisture, that's why it's transmitted in droplets and when the droplets are small enough, aerosolized. When in vivo, the virus is in it's own element having happy days.

When you have high temps the moisture dries out. However, I do not think a few degrees celcius have much effect. The scorching sun and it's deadly UV rays will, however, UV is very efficient in killing viruses. For many Thais that will be no relief as they lurk in the shadows trying to stay as white as possible.

Edited by DrTuner

15 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I will no longer be seen in public without my wife. Don't want to be mistaken as a tourist! 

What are you afraid of, if mistaken for a tourist?

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It needs moisture, that's why it's transmitted in droplets and when the droplets are small enough, aerosolized. When in vivo, the virus is in it's own element having happy days.

When you have high temps the moisture dries out. However, I do not think a few degrees celcius have much effect. The scorching sun and it's deadly UV rays will, however, UV is very efficient in killing viruses. For many Thais that will be no relief as they lurk in the shadows trying to stay as white as possible.

What do you consider high temperatures? Have you not experienced hot, humid days? They are quite common in Thailand.

13 hours ago, dbrenn said:

True - anything that can kill you is scary. But we should put it into perspective. If in an absolutely worst case, a third of the population ends up catching it, and 3% of those 33% die, 75% of which are over 60, then:

1) For the over 60's, there is a 0.75% chance of any one of us dying

2) For the under 60's, there is a 0.25% chance of any one of us dying

Compare that with 62 people dying on the roads every day - that's a 0.16% chance of any one of us dying in the next 5 years, and every 5 years after that, but we still venture out and cars haven't been banned yet.

Stay safe ....

Why compare it with road trauma not every country has lunatics driving.

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

What do you consider high temperatures? Have you not experienced hot, humid days? They are quite common in Thailand.

That humidity will also prevent the droplet from drying out, which is probably why the rainy season is the flu season in Thailand. Room temp is usually considered to be 25 DegC, high temp would be 30 plus-ish, but it still takes a long time for the clothes to dry out if it's not windy. 

But as I mentioned that probably doesn't matter. In the fraction of a second it takes from somebody sneezing to you inhaling the droplets the air temps would have to be in 1000plus to dry them out. Obviously you too would be scorched to cinders long before that. 

Edited by DrTuner

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe for safety purposes they should stop 90 day  reporting until further notice

You are actually more in line with public health recommendations than the current  policy.

The general recommendation is for 60+ year olds to  avoid gatherings and even  appointments. Considering that  a large number of the 90 day reports are 60+ year olds, surely the  immigration department could arrange electronic reporting or a designated confirmed reporting time so as to avoid large waiting rooms filled with vulnerable people.

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

UVC which is the strongest UV is filtered out by the ozone layer, so you would need a UVC lamp on a surface to possibly kill the virus, normal sunshine unlikely to do anything except increase chances for skin cancers

8 hours ago, tropo said:

What are you afraid of, if mistaken for a tourist?

From the original story:

“The latest infected patient is a Thai man aged 21, who has been exposed to foreign tourists,”

From reply #4:

"So where are the reports of the foreign tourists being isolated and where did they come from?"

Look up "tongue in cheek".

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That high humidity will also prevent the droplet from drying out, which is probably why the rainy season is the flu season in Thailand. Room temp is usually considered to be 25 DegC, high temp would be 30 plus-ish, but it still takes a long time for the clothes to dry out if it's not windy. 

But as I mentioned that probably doesn't matter. In the fraction of a second it takes from somebody sneezing to you inhaling the droplets the air temps would have to be in 1000plus to dry them out. Obviously you too would be scorched to cinders long before that. 

(Word 'high' added by MartinL, for clarity)

Not really on-topic but related to relative humidity.

I'd always been led to believe that Thailand had a high-RH climate. My own records seem to contradict that, at least in my garden in southern Khon Kaen province.

From the end of November until now, the daily RH I've recorded around midday in a shaded location has been consistently around the 30% > 40% mark, average 36%. Max. 49%, min. 26%.

Taken using wet & dry bulb thermometer, psychrometric chart plus online RH calculator, both of which broadly agree with each other. Using psych. charts was part of my professional life as a building services design engineer so I am very familiar with chart use.

EDIT - Every year in Thailand, about this time, I've developed a cough that takes weeks to clear and is always gone when the rains come. Low RH would go some way to explaining that cough.

Edited by MartinL

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Why compare it with road trauma not every country has lunatics driving.

Do you struggle with numbers? Let me explain again.

Those who choose to live in Thailand (there's the clue - not elsewhere) live with the threat of road trauma day in, day out. But we panic when a threat presents itself that carries no greater risk of death. For instance, I've lived in Thailand for 30 years - if each 5 years carries a 0.16% risk of death, then 30 years = 4.8%. Much higher than coronavirus, but I don't see people panicking or banning cars. Have you ever wondered why this is?

Do you get it now? The numbers might be confusing you, I understand.

Edited by dbrenn

33 minutes ago, MartinL said:

EDIT - Every year in Thailand, about this time, I've developed a cough that takes weeks to clear and is always gone when the rains come. Low RH would go some way to explaining that cough.

RH in the North East is very low this time of year, the weather is more like desert conditions than the "tropical weather which is high in humidity further South.

KK has some of the worst air quality in Thailand that, combined with the very dry weather will most likely be the reason you have a cough i would say.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Do you struggle with numbers? Let me explain again.

Those who choose to live in Thailand (there's the clue - not elsewhere) live with the threat of road trauma day in, day out. But we panic when a threat presents itself that carries no greater risk of death. For instance, I've lived in Thailand for 30 years - if each 5 years carries a 0.16% risk of death, then 30 years = 4.8%. Much higher than coronavirus, but I don't see people panicking or banning cars. Have you ever wondered why this is?

Do you get it now? The numbers might be confusing you, I understand.

The numbers are not confusing but meaningless for people who

don't live in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

The numbers are not confusing but meaningless for people who

don't live in Thailand.

Very true. But this is Thaivisa.com - a forum aimed at people who live in Thailand, or who spend prolonged periods in Thailand.

Look at it another way - in the US, the death rate is 1,000 people per 100,000 for 60 years olds. In one year, that means there is a 1% chance you'll die, even without coronavirus around. I don't see every 60 year old running around in a panic though - there is more chance that they'll die of anything else, then coronavirus .....

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Very true. But this is Thaivisa.com - a forum aimed at people who live in Thailand, or who spend prolonged periods in Thailand.

Look at it another way - in the US, the death rate is 1,000 people per 100,000 for 60 years olds. In one year, that means there is a 1% chance you'll die, even without coronavirus around. I don't see every 60 year old running around in a panic though - there is more chance that they'll die of anything else, then coronavirus .....

Just in case you don't know I lived in Thailand for many years and still visit when ever I can.

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

Not really on-topic but related to relative humidity.

I'd always been led to believe that Thailand had a high-RH climate. My own records seem to contradict that, at least in my garden in southern Khon Kaen province.

From the end of November until now, the daily RH I've recorded around midday in a shaded location has been consistently around the 30% > 40% mark, average 36%. Max. 49%, min. 26%.

Taken using wet & dry bulb thermometer, psychrometric chart plus online RH calculator, both of which broadly agree with each other. Using psych. charts was part of my professional life as a building services design engineer so I am very familiar with chart use.

You need to be close to the sea for high RH. As I type this, it's 74% RH in my room at 30C... and this is an extremely dry period.

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

You need to be close to the sea for high RH. As I type this, it's 74% RH in my room at 30C... and this is an extremely dry period.

In the dry season yes, agree - it's 35c & 38% humidity here outside UT, a little higher than it has been, humidity will stay low until the rains arrive, then it gets sticky, nasty and miserable.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:26 AM, dbrenn said:

True - anything that can kill you is scary. But we should put it into perspective. If in an absolutely worst case, a third of the population ends up catching it, and 3% of those 33% die, 75% of which are over 60, then:

1) For the over 60's, there is a 0.75% chance of any one of us dying

2) For the under 60's, there is a 0.25% chance of any one of us dying

Compare that with 62 people dying on the roads every day - that's a 0.16% chance of any one of us dying in the next 5 years, and every 5 years after that, but we still venture out and cars haven't been banned yet.

Stay safe ....

Come on now, you can't expect facts, logic and reason in the TVF new section, it is not a done thing here ???? 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Probably the Chinese because of the amount that have been here in buses and the amount of Thais involved in that work, it's that simple, you've just picked other asian Korean and Japanese for some spurious reason

No I picked Korea and Japan because their epidemics are just unfolding and the Chinese one is on the wane. Plus China has been on self imposed quarantine for a month and there arent any new cases outside Hubei which is still sealed.

Next.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, Kinnock said:

That is why the girlie panic needs to be controlled.

If you're under 50 and reasonably fit, it's just a few days at home feeling rough and watching old movies on TV.  All the 'only childs' in China rushed to hospital, swamping the resources.

It wasn't the only children it was their Grandparents.

As the western media gleefully tells us the demographic in China is awry because of the one child policy. Too many elderly and not enough wage earners.