More than 2,700 cruise tourists arrive in Patong

webfact

More than 2,700 cruise tourists arrive in Patong

By The Phuket News

1583051966_1-org.jpg

The MSC Splendida brought 1,440 tourists and 1,122 ship crew and staff. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: Officers from Phuket Public Health Office along with medical staff from Patong Hospital were on hand to check more than 2,700 people disembarking cruise ships at Patong Beach yesterday (Feb 29).

Present as a part of screening were personnel from the Royal Thai Navy Third Area, based at Panwa Cape.

Being screened at the pier at the southern end of the beach were 2,706 people in total – 144 tourists who arrived in the “Star Clipper” and 1,440 tourists and 1,122 ship crew and staff arriving on the “MSC Splendida”.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/more-than-2-700-cruise-tourists-arrive-in-patong-75065.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-02

15 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Well, given the current situation, having something "spread" over many floors might not be such a good selling point !!

That's one of the problems with a public forum. Whatever choice of words one uses, there's always a twister, a nitpicker.

So okay, here's an alternative to "spread", same as "not restricted to".

• Like 1

I'm assuming the Star Clipper came come from Singapore (did the Singapore-Port Klang-Phuket cruise on a different Star ship a few years back) & given the fact that SG is seen as one of the high(ist) risk countries, doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do, onshore screening or no onshore screening. 

FWIW, I agree with the comments that Cruises are an awesome way to spend a holiday, just make sure you take some stretchy pants (guaranteed weight gain with all that free food & cheap(ish) booze knocking about), just not a great time to do one (especially in Asia) while COv19 is doing the rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Perhaps you have never participated in a cruise. I have, half a dozen of them.

I never felt confined. The ship docks periodically, in my case (Caribbean), just about every day and we went ashore to explore various islands. These ships are huge. There is no need to stay in your cabin. There is lots to do on the ship, spread over many floors.

Try it. You might like it.

Only trouble is cruise ships dont have the special filters in their air conditioners that aircraft have to stop germs etc from circulating around the cabin and everyone breathes the same air.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Chill out dude, its a little pop at humor. You seem to have got all defensive as he doesn't like cruises but you do. Its that simple, just relax.......................................like you are on a cruise ????

What.......like the Titanic ????

"Capt Kriangkrai Lai-ngen of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command explained that officers boarded the ships to screen the tourists first, and then when tourists reached the port, another group of officers screened their body temperatures again.

“No tourists from either cruise ship were found to be suspected to being infected with the coronavirus [COVID-19] even though they had arrived from a risk country like Singapore.”"

I wonder if there should have been cruise ship medical staff screening the Thai Navy officers too?

From recent news and the ongoing admittance to Chinese tourists, I'm sure it can't be denied that Thailand must now be a high-risk country too.

• Like 1